• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] deal with social cues

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I'm having hard time dealing with this. Most people think I'm bit autistic cause I don't fully understand social cues. I find it bit of an insult cause people use social cues to tell you things they don't want to say. which makes me frustrated, I'm always stright forward and honest with people and I expect them to do the same. I get confused if they're telling the truth or giving me a social cues.

example I just made up.
me: wanna go out next friday
her: oh I'm busy (social cues or actully busy)
gets on chat
me: what's up
her: good
me: anything new
her: I'll be back in 5minutes (social cues?)
me: k

I hate dealing with social cues, if I wanted to speak with that person I would just drop contact right away. ignore phone call, never replies to text, dont' even look at the person if I met them in person.. or just stright up tell them.

I just don't know most of time if they're trying to give me a hint or just being honest. I think I was meant to be hermit forever.

EDIT: other example, I'll call you back but never calls me back. what is this?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Try not to care about anything other than what they say or/and do.

Naturally there are exceptions to this, like when someone is obviously displaying emotions, but denying them, that is unless s/he denies them multiple times.

If someone wont call even tho he promised, it might be just that he forgot, call him back if you want, if he doesent pick up the phone and wont call back(even tho its obvious he saw the call), call once later if you want or wait if he calls you back in the future. Trying to Ti over social cues wont lead to anywhere, other than headache..

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate dealing with social cues, if I wanted to speak with that person I would just drop contact right away. ignore phone call, never replies to text, dont' even look at the person if I met them in person..

Consider that this is a social cue as much as constantly being "busy" is, or not calling you back. In other words, you're using the cue of avoiding talking to them rather than just telling them "I don't like you, go away". So you're not some crazy antisocial person who doesn't do social cues, you're just maybe calibrated to a different scale than many people.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Consider that this is a social cue as much as constantly being "busy" is, or not calling you back. In other words, you're using the cue of avoiding talking to them rather than just telling them "I don't like you, go away". So you're not some crazy antisocial person who doesn't do social cues, you're just maybe calibrated to a different scale than many people.

guess it's a social cue but I don't lead them on by saying "maby" or "next time". Most of time when people I ask me I just tell them stright up that I just don't want to.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
EDIT: other example, I'll call you back but never calls me back. what is this?
This particular example is probably just forgetfulness or laziness. On the other hand, it might not be sincere, but if they don't want to call you back this isn't a social cue, they're probably just trying to get you off of their back by making it seem like they'll call you back.

I find it odd that ENTPs are really good at sizing up social situations and INTPs are not. Except it doesn't really matter because ENTPs don't seem to really follow these social cues; they just know about them. I actually find it hard to act normal even if I understand the social situation.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This particular example is probably just forgetfulness or laziness. On the other hand, it might not be sincere, but if they don't want to call you back this isn't a social cue, they're probably just trying to get you off of their back by making it seem like they'll call you back.

I find it odd that ENTPs are really good at sizing up social situations and INTPs are not. Except it doesn't really matter because ENTPs don't seem to really follow these social cues; they just know about them. I actually find it hard to act normal even if I understand the social situation.
I can totally agree with ENTPs blithely disregarding social cues. I'd drop the enneagram 5 thoughts so you don't allow it to deconstruct your integrity. Everything else is based on a matter of will.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can totally agree with ENTPs blithely disregarding social cues. I'd drop the enneagram 5 thoughts so you don't allow it to deconstruct your integrity. Everything else is based on a matter of will.

What exactly do you mean by ennegram 5 thoughts? I don't really know ennegram.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
What exactly do you mean by ennegram 5 thoughts? I don't really know ennegram.
I like this source the best. > http://www.enneagram.net/types.html

A lot of Introverted-Intuitives happen to fall as 5 types. It's a tendency to have thoughts in the gray area, that could mean creating something they haven't experienced. They'll feel more independent if they're not contingent on people's social obligations. It's a notion not uncommon to render something innocuous as a social cue.

Enneagram Institute said:
Fives are not interested in exploring what is already familiar and well-established; rather, their attention is drawn to the unusual, the overlooked, the secret, the occult, the bizarre, the fantastic, the “unthinkable.”
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typefive.asp
I think this rings close to type Six as well, who highly value security of trust. I think I'm more 4w5 though because I trust easily, I'm more expressive and I embrace my emotions, not to mention I hate passive aggressiveness. I'll often address or confront a "social cue" if I feel I've been unfairly mispositioned.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm actually (internally) sensitive to social cues when I am paying attention, but I may appear to not be. Most of the time, I am either thinking about something other than the social cue (which makes me seem oblivious) or I ignore them (because I don't agree with that certain social "rule").

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From the perspective of someone who is annoyed by social cues but at the same time feels like they're necessary... it's a matter of being able to take what you give. That is, avoiding the cold hard truth, if that's not what you want to get in return. (Also, if you don't want people to think you're a jerk -- because if you avoid softening your blunt statements most of the time, chances are a lot of people will think you're a jerk, regardless of whether you are one or not.)

For example, if someone comes up to you and asks if they can talk to you, and you reeeeeeeeeally don't want to talk to the person, you can either say "No I don't want to talk to you", or "Crap, I wish I could, but I've got somewhere to be"*. And in my case (maybe not in your case), I wouldn't want someone to say "No I don't want to talk to you", because that kind of statement gives me the gut reaction of "God, what an asshole!" and instant dislike of the person (and it hurts my feelings too), so I don't want people to react the same way towards me.

*Regarding an earlier post in the thread, when you were asking why people add the "I wish I could", or equivalent misleading statement, it's because if you just said "Crap, I've got somewhere to be", it would be viewed almost exactly the same way as -- or maybe even worse than -- the honest statement.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually (internally) sensitive to social cues when I am paying attention, but I may appear to not be. Most of the time, I am either thinking about something other than the social cue (which makes me seem oblivious) or I ignore them (because I don't agree with that certain social "rule").

Same here, although I'm not really one to disagree with the social cue unless it's inequitable (overt or covert), and I absolutely dislike it when inequitable social cues are obliged as if they were rules.

Perhaps it is the constant need for truth in ITPs that leads them to dislike some social cues, such as saying one thing and really doing another (an F thing).