User Tag List

First 567

Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: truth = logic

  1. #61
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    Power/strength = truth
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  2. #62
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

    Well I feel very strongly that you are mistaken, and since feelings are true, you must therefore be mistaken.
    A good example of how truth doesn't always pan out from logic.

  3. #63
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    And you can take "Life is a string of possibilities " even further you can get to All possibilities come true in multiple universes.

    Which sounds really nice, and adds more meaning even though it's just pure speculation.

    Which results in: Everything comes true.

    Every possible scenario, every possible outcome, is somewhere. Either an abstract or a concrete world.

    I'd rather believe in this than in whatever "theism" means.

    And there's also something very nice to this.

    See, if there are an infinite amount of universes, or at least a so called infinite value of universes, then the possibility of life on Earth and an universe such as ours is no longer some rare and unlikely event, it becomes an outcome.

    Which changes things even more.

    Life itself has become a possible outcome, a conclusion.

    And so on.

    Connecting the dots, even the ones that may not exist.

    And it still doesn't fail.

    It stands up as a reasonable explanation to a lot if not everything.

    Just a string of possibilities.

    So, if we look into things a little deeper, everything becomes an effect of something else, a chain reaction of an apparently inter connected web.
    Your arguements aint too bad but they suffer like all entp things from the lack of boundary conditions. Determinism is the philosophical belief that our lifes are just a cause-and-effect chain like they happen in Newtonian physics and that therefore free will was only an imagination. Quantum physics says that there are things, who can show the effect before the actual cause and therefore denied determinism (which was a bad adoption of physics into philosophy anyways).

    But the real thing is: we are a race, who hasnt even seen an atom yet, because we dont have the equipment to do that. Would you trust a race that is at that point and claims to know about some kind of multiverse and universes moving against each other in some kind of dark stream ? I'ld be careful with that and therefore I'ld be careful with disbelieving in free will. So far free will is the biggest logic stopper we have and it does form the truth for us, paying no respect to things being a chain of events or not.

    Being skeptical of science is what defines a scientist, believing everything it says is what defines religious people.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #64
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Hmm, my post doesn't to anyone except me, or am I missing something?

    Ok, so, let's see, what doesn't make sense?

    When I said truth = logic I didn't mean it LITERALLY
    It's like saying the potter = pottery (assuming that logic would actually be the tool of truth)

    But aren't you making the potter more important, when you say, that him = the job ? Does it sound like he performs his job flawlessly, and that's why he got an "="

    Thus, doesn't the = , make logic look more important, even though it doesn't make much sense at all, unless you look at it from a flexible and ambiguous point of view.

    The sunflower is a symbol of math in nature, the seeds are distributed in a mathematical pattern, so this is why I posted it.
    Or the potter is potty?

    Perhaps if you made your case using logic you'd have more success:-

    (This statement is false)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #65
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    What about logic as a way of structuring truth? Such structures help us make sense of the world and, in many cases, they also help us predict phenomena. That's pretty cool.

  6. #66
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    No, logic is not truth. Logic is a system for determining truth. It can fail when provided insufficient data or when it uses the wrong formula for the problem.
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  7. #67
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Truth and logic are entirely different things.

    Logic is a way of evaluating statements relative to other statements. It has nothing to say about the truth value of those statements except in relative terms.

  8. #68
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    truth=logic if and only if
    logic=reality.

    however, since;
    logic=/=reality

    then;

    truth=reality=perception + faith.

    and

    logic=human attempt at understanding truth=/=truth
    ----------------------------------------------
    OR
    ----------------------------------------------
    truth=/=reality

    which I refuse to believe for the sake of my sanity.
    IE
    There is a spoon.

  9. #69
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    truth=logic if and only if
    logic=reality.

    however, since;
    logic=/=reality

    then;

    truth=reality=perception + faith.

    and

    logic=human attempt at understanding truth=/=truth
    ----------------------------------------------
    OR
    ----------------------------------------------
    truth=/=reality

    which I refuse to believe for the sake of my sanity.
    IE
    There is a spoon.
    The sign for unequal is still =! or <>

    I like how you brought faith into the debate. Guess if people would believe in the existence of the giant rose elephant, he'ld play a pivotal role in quantum physics as well
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #70
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Logic certainly doesn't equal truth. For someone so enamoured with logic and mathematics, you wield the '=' symbol with wanton disregard for its precise meaning. Logic (by which I mean deductive logic) is intimately concerned with truth [both necessary and contingent--for Evan], but it is not, in and of itself, equal to truth.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. Math Education: An Inconvenient Truth
    By nightning in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
  3. Alternative logic systems versus sociopathic traits.
    By Park in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
  4. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction...
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
  5. Commonly abused logical Fallacies..
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO