• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs are inherently very subjective

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was reading over some old posts by people, and it stikes me that although INTJs usually use a ton of extraverted thinking, and IT is how people recognize them, that thier dominant function is intensely subjective.
please discuss....

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is very, very true.

An INTJs dominant function is Ni, an introverted irrational function. When somebody deals with an INTJ, they are automatically dealing with introverted intuition, a terrible creature that directs all processes and thinking yet never shows itself directly, deciding what is good and just and right in the world with very little external input.

INTJs will try to rationalize their subjective views and ideas with objective methods, reasoning, and information. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes what they produce from this is good, and sometimes it's bad. It all depends on the skill of the INTJ.

I'm inclined to say that INTJs are the most subjective of the NTs.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Eh. This is probably true, but because I am an InTJ, I find that my Ti takes a more dominant position. It surpresses my irrationality and subjectiveness. If you suspect me of possibly showing a lot of subjectiveness, I can be very one-sided after I decide on a side. Alliteration, YAY!
In a lot of ways, I am glad I have a weak Ni.
INTJs are probably the most subjective of the NTs, because the more they think one-sided, the more they convince themselves of the "rationality" and "sense" they speak of.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Eh. This is probably true, but because I am an InTJ, I find that my Ti takes a more dominant position. It surpresses my irrationality and subjectiveness. If you suspect me of possibly showing a lot of subjectiveness, I can be very one-sided after I decide on a side. Alliteration, YAY!
In a lot of ways, I am glad I have a weak Ni.
INTJs are probably the most subjective of the NTs, because the more they think one-sided, the more they convince themselves of the "rationality" and "sense" they speak of.

Sriv, I've been meaning to ask you this. You claim to be an InTJ, with a weak Ni and more developed Ti.

What would you say that your order of functions looks like? What's it like to have a weak leading function?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
While my thought process is likely not the best example of INTJ thought, I can tell you that it is tempting to consciously exclude (for the purposes of concision for one's audience) cognitive steps.

This oddity is difficult to rationalize as the Ni (when tempered by the Te) becomes a successive (sometimes rapid) series of segments that seem disjointed to others, but often have sophisticated interrelationships.

Often, these interstitial bridges retain legitimate meaning solely within the INTJ.

Successfully communicating these interrelationships is what distinguishes the effective INTJ from the obscure.

Dislocated thoughts connecting through tacit undermeanings seem the signature of the INTJ.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Sriv, I've been meaning to ask you this. You claim to be an InTJ, with a weak Ni and more developed Ti.

What would you say that your order of functions looks like? What's it like to have a weak leading function?

It feels very confusing. My mind is like a whirlpool, unlike my complexion and physical appearence. There are holes in everything, because my Ni is not very strong, it just sparks at random and almost makes decisions for me and then turns off. These holes are unexplainable and illogical. I think I developed a very strong T as a response to this. My general sense that logic is good and should be strived for helped my T gain power. This led to oppression of F. Another side effect was that Ni needed some replacement so Ti became more prevalent, still less than Te, but still relatively high.

You know me well enough to know that I do not have much S, but I do have a tolerance of it unlike a lot of other N's. I admire Si more than people with obnoxiously large N and I wish I had some more Se.

Although the Ni has been downplayed, it is how I gather information and so still dominant.
Te has been replaced with Ti. I am very reliant on logic.
F in general has been caged. I do not even understand it. I understand how it affects others, but not how it affects me.
Se is still inferior. I am horrible at responding quickly to situations because I have to interpret it the right way, put it through my logic department, and foresee the consequences of the actions I can possibly take. Ah well, I get along. :run:

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Positive! My J function is super-charged and I fit many descriptions of an INTJ. The test gave me vague results so I just started reading descriptions of types and INTJ was the bulls-eye. Except for the daydreaming part. I tend to be more concentrated and down-to-earth.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Positive! My J function is super-charged and I fit many descriptions of an INTJ. The test gave me vague results so I just started reading descriptions of types and INTJ was the bulls-eye. Except for the daydreaming part. I tend to be more concentrated and down-to-earth.

Well, many descriptions overlap to an extent.

Also... ISTJs can appear as INTJs, depending on the environment they were raised. Hmmm...

Sriv? Can I borrow your brain for a few days? I need to analyze it. I'll get it back to you, mostly unharmed...

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I probably blend with a combination of mostly INTJ, some ISTJ, and some INTP.

It never seemed abnormal to me. Many of my characteristics are of the ISTJ, but the dominant function definitely does not match. I have little Si and have no respect in the little respect or patience for traditions. I was raised in an S household, so this may have contributed to the general feeling of "better be safe than sorry" and "taking risks is the devil" influenced my by S parents. Practicality makes perfect logical sense, and so does dismissing concepts too abstract.

My personality in many ways agrees with an INTP, but regarding the P alone, I demonstrate absolutely none of the characteristics of the P.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I probably blend with a combination of mostly INTJ, some ISTJ, and some INTP.

It never seemed abnormal to me. Many of my characteristics are of the ISTJ, but the dominant function definitely does not match. I have little Si and have no respect in the little respect or patience for traditions. I was raised in an S household, so this may have contributed to the general feeling of "better be safe than sorry" and "taking risks is the devil" influenced my by S parents. Practicality makes perfect logical sense, and so does dismissing concepts too abstract.

My personality in many ways agrees with an INTP, but regarding the P alone, I demonstrate absolutely none of the characteristics of the P.

"P" is meaningless when it gets right down to it. It's only a part of the shorthand for interior functions. As long as the functions match, it doesn't matter that one is 'messy' and one is 'neat'. If it agrees with INTP, then why not say INTP? An INTP held down and influenced by an Si family may appear INTJ...

Just musing here. All I'm saying is that something smells fishy here.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
INTJs are extremely subjective.

All I can say is that an INTJ works a little like this. Let's say the Jungian functions of an INTJ are given the task to fly a plane from city A to city B.

Ni, Te, Fi, and Se all get on the plane. Ni gets the pilot's seat, of course, and Te gets the copilot's seat. Fi is given a book to placate her on the journey, but Se has nothing to do so he's got his face mashed up against the window and staring outside.

Meanwhile, Ni finds a flaw in the flight plan and draws a new line on the map as a better flight trajectory, a more efficient route from city A to city B. Te is about to look it over when suddenly Ni and Te hear shouting from the cabin. Te goes out to see what's going on and finds Se pointing out the window and shouting about some mountains or something -- Te doesn't really care, and thinks that Se is just acting like his usual ADD self and smacks him around a few times to get him to shut up. When Fi tells Te to please stop it, Te yells at her, and Fi starts crying, both for Se and her own sake.

Ni is still in the cockpit, figuring that the new flight plan is good and continues following it without Te's input. Ni then sips his coffee, pondering solutions to life, the universe, and everything, and the plane goes careening into the same mountains that Se was screaming about earlier, all of them dying instantly.

And that's when the INTJ falls into a sudden coma right in the middle of history class.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
"P" is meaningless when it gets right down to it. It's only a part of the shorthand for interior functions. As long as the functions match, it doesn't matter that one is 'messy' and one is 'neat'. If it agrees with INTP, then why not say INTP? An INTP held down and influenced by an Si family may appear INTJ...

Just musing here. All I'm saying is that something smells fishy here.

You do not have to explain to me what you are doing. Remember, we think alike.

I agree with INTJ more than INTP. P and J make big differences in looking at the big picture. I only think of possible consequences. I have no need for understanding if there are no practical outcomes. I look only at the end and do not care about the means, unless the means affect the end in an unfavorable way. I think my Si affects J and P the most, but I cannot say that it overrules my Ni which I still use to observe and gather most information.

EDIT: ROFL, that is a really good explaination for the newbie INTJs looking for understanding. You should post it on INTJf.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You do not have to explain to me what you are doing. Remember, we think alike.

I agree with INTJ more than INTP. P and J make big differences in looking at the big picture. I only think of possible consequences. I have no need for understanding if there are no practical outcomes. I look only at the end and do not care about the means, unless the means affect the end in an unfavorable way. I think my Si affects J and P the most, but I cannot say that it overrules my Ni which I still use to observe and gather most information.

EDIT: ROFL, that is a really good explaination for the newbie INTJs looking for understanding. You should post it on INTJf.

I can think of two possible explanations:
1) You are not an INTJ but rather another type and are denying it
2) You are an INTJ and you are currently downplaying the importance of your Ni because it is a function that cannot be trusted, and you value your competence too much to admit your reliance on it

I guess there are a few more:
3) You do not fit into the MBTI at all but rather have a new psychology setup
and lastly
4) You are mentally unbalanced; MBTI is meant to describe healthy people, the fact that you cannot fit in anywhere is a sign that you have become mentally unhinged

Are you sure that when you're talking about Ni, you're not referring to Ne?

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
???

I am very introspective. An example: I have one good friend in every class and one best friend who is the first one I had in my life. I keep these friends to maintain social dignity and pretend to be accepted so people do not get a bad first impression of me. A bad first impression could snowball into becoming a social outcast. They are my good friends for a reason, we both benefit from the relationship, but I am quite lazy in introducing myself to others and suck at social skills in general. All my experiences are very INTJ. My thought processes may slightly differ. Idk, I don't get Ne, Ni very well as it pertains to me. I have already concluded that I am an InTJ, but I like this re-evaluation. It is good to doubt.

If I am defective, I would not know of it. I can conform very well...when I want to. Usually I hate it. I like this idea of mental unhingeing. It comforts me. Hmm...if I am in denial, I would not know of it. Why would I lie? It could be just plain ignorance or lack of research into MBTI. After I figured out I was an INTJ, my heavy research slowed to almost none.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
???

I am very introspective. An example: I have one good friend in every class and one best friend who is the first one I had in my life. I keep these friends to maintain social dignity and pretend to be accepted so people do not get a bad first impression of me. A bad first impression could snowball into becoming a social outcast. They are my good friends for a reason, we both benefit from the relationship, but I am quite lazy in introducing myself to others and suck at social skills in general. All my experiences are very INTJ. My thought processes may slightly differ.

Hah! That's the final nail in the coffin. Experience doesn't matter to INTJs. Lol.

On a more serious note, ISTJs put more weight on memory than INTJs. What is important is not that the experiences match up but rather that the thought processes do. If the thought processes match another type better than the one you've already picked out, then you are the other type.

What are these experiences, though? Why do you believe that they point to INTJ personality type?

For the record, introspection usually only points to introversion. Your general distrust of intuition is making me think it's an inferior function...

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Intuition is probably something that I use regularly, but cannot explain rationally so I just seem like I am more S. Or maybe I am S and I am in denial, but the big picture does not point towards S.
I learn from my experiences and apply them to the present and future. I actually forget experiences long-term. I have no memory of my experiences before I was 5. After 5, they are muddled until 10. I am in my teens now. My experiences as in what I faced. It was not an easy process for me to conform, but once I got it, I could do it like only an ES could.

"In forming relationships, INTJs tend to seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. Agreement on theoretical concept is an important aspect of a relationship. By nature INTJs tend to be demanding in their expectations and approach relationships in a very rational manner. As a result, an INTJ may not always respond to a naturally occurring infatuation but wait for a mate who better fits his or her set criteria. Persons with this personality type are very stable, reliable and dedicated. Harmony in relationships and home life tends to be extremely important to the INTJ. He or she tends to withhold strong emotion and does not like to "waste" time with irrational social rituals. This, however, may cause non-INTJs to perceive him or her as distant and reserved." - Wikipedia, INTJ
Straight from wikipedia and describes me perfectly on my relationship experience.

Lets take this conversation, however subjective it may be, to my blog.