• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP + INTJ + Expensive ring = ???

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi NT folks, newbie to the forums here (and relative newbie to typology in general). I got interested into the whole science because of some marital strife, which caused a great deal of introspection.

So... my wife is an INTJ (possibly ISTJ, but I don't think so). Was wondering if any INTPs were married to/in a long-term relationship with an INTJ, or vise-versa. What's your experience? How do you get along, how do you interact, and on a very basic level, do you interact?

Thanks, and looking forward to getting a lot of whiny, self-serving questions answered as bluntly as possible!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why are you asking about ISTJs if you think your wife is an INTJ? I have been in a long-term relationship with an INTP for > 10 years, so if you have questions about INTP/INTJ, ask away.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why are you asking about ISTJs if you think your wife is an INTJ? I have been in a long-term relationship with an INTP for > 10 years, so if you have questions about INTP/INTJ, ask away.

Argh, typo! Thanks... fixed.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What kind of answers are you looking for?

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
What kind of answers are you looking for?

Anecdotes from those who have either successful or failed INTP/INTJ relationships, with speculation as to what elements of life were most challenging and what elements of the two types were most complimentary. If you succeeded, what issues did you have to overcome and how did you do it; if you didn't, what was the biggest issue that sunk the relationship.

As a bit of an MBTI newbie, I'm more than happy to receive links on already-published works about the interplay between the types. I've read a bit, but most of it seems to be forum posts here and at other typology forums, so anything authoritative is quite welcome.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what does the expensive ring have to do with it hahaha? just...you already bought the ring so you better make it work? like that? hahaha

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what does the expensive ring have to do with it hahaha? just...you already bought the ring so you better make it work? like that? hahaha
I think expensive ring is just stand-in for words to the effect of: 'being in a long term romantic relationship". So, he is asking for other people who have been part of that equation to share stories.

Last edited:

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think expensive ring is just stand-in for words to the effect of: 'being in a long term romantic relationship". So, he is asking for other people who have been part of that equation to share stories.

This.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My romantic relationship with an INTJ didn't go well, but that was not because of personality conflicts. We're still great friends and have deep, intellectual conversations. Last time we got together, we discussed the differences between metaphorical and literal interpretations of the Bible, what to do when zombies attack, and our ideal utopian worlds. Also some other stuff I don't remember. In MBTI terms, our primary connection is in sharing NT. I'm not totally sure how a long term romantic relationship would go.

dmm2442

MBTI Type
INTP
I met an INTJ girl a while ago. She was the only girl I've ever really connected with. We went on a lot of dates and talked about every day or every other day. All the dates and every time we talked was unreal. She is my favorite person I've ever met. One day she didn't pick up my call. I tried calling/e-mailing for a while, but never heard from her again. I would love to met another INTJ someday. I guess I really don't have any advice I thought I would just share my story.

Meaning

Permabanned
Address the issues intellectually. Recognize and accept how different you both really are, then take the necessary steps to make things better. She's probably a fetishist, and will likely be a freak in bed. You should learn how to address that topic and comfort her in this area, as it will better the sex you have, and in turn your life. When you realize that you are very different, no matter how close your "letters" are, then you realize that you'll have to do *things* to keep it all together.

Also, remember to fight conventional norms throughout your entire relationship. Not only are you different from each other, but you are different from those for which (and by which) the norms were created. INTJs value (the) security (of marriage) to some degree, and you just want to be done with it, but ensure that this is the right step for the both of you at this time. Is this step actually necessary? You are both intellectuals, so learn to intellectualize and sort through issues apart, then together. You don't recognize or place as particularly important the bond this creates, but one is created, and it helps.

You should do any and everything you can think of to keep this thing together, and after the pain of the learning experience is over, you will both be better for making such a conscious decision. Basically, grow together.

If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

Some personality typing related tips:

1. Try to be like each other's dual every once in a while. You do the nurturing comforting thing done by ESFJs, and you seduce/trick her into doing the sex/perceiving thing done by ESFPs. Try to be firm and judgmental (of course it should be relevant) every once in a while. Of course you both recognize that you are different and not each other's dual, so its like a show that you put on every once in a while.

2. Plan adventures together.

3. Fight through emotion. She's more emotional than you, even though it won't seem like it. You'll need to work through her feelings that she won't even realize she's having. Of course, get some help with this, and learn learn learn. As a matter of fact, get her to get you to do it.

4. She'll start nagging at some point. Fight to keep it relevant and to a minimum. Promote efficiency in nagging (batch things up, relax a bit, etc).. I'm certain she'll respond to it. And realize that you'll have to spell out every issue you have with each other so that you can both come up with a solution that is comfortable for each of you.

5. Don't be afraid to fight it out, and realize that sometimes a verbal fight can be a great reliever of tension. However, it has to make sense, and it shouldn't be a scenario in which you find yourself very often.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from my experience with INTJs that would equal a "waste of money", but my experience is mostly with men INTJs.

edit: LOL...and not dating or relationships...just personality wise

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I have always been attracted to INTJ's, I think it can be a good fit.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3. Fight through emotion. She's more emotional than you, even though it won't seem like it. You'll need to work through her feelings that she won't even realize she's having. Of course, get some help with this, and learn learn learn. As a matter of fact, get her to get you to do it.
Are you saying this because INTJ tert Fi should be stronger than INTP inferior Fe? I have found INTJs (myself included) to appear more passionate sometimes than INTPs in promoting their own ideas, but otherwise see little difference between the two types.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks for the links, and thanks all for your experiences. In a nutshell, I am already married to an INTJ (have been for several years), and we tend to ignore each other. My scatterbrained nature drives her insane, and her attempts to "fix" my way of approaching life pisses me off. What's interesting to me is that I've become more and more interested in MBTI theory, but every time I try to talk to her about it she gets angry, claiming that it's BS and I'm just using it as an excuse not to be organized.

Off to read the links from Mott the Hoople... erm, Jock the Motie.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Thanks for the links, and thanks all for your experiences. In a nutshell, I am already married to an INTJ (have been for several years), and we tend to ignore each other. My scatterbrained nature drives her insane, and her attempts to "fix" my way of approaching life pisses me off. What's interesting to me is that I've become more and more interested in MBTI theory, but every time I try to talk to her about it she gets angry, claiming that it's BS and I'm just using it as an excuse not to be organized.

I can completely understand this. I couldn't function in a relationship with it either and I only know that because of MBTI. The only other thing I can suggest is therapy/counseling but when people get to that stage, it's often too late but individually it could be very beneficial.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Considering the above, it's a wonder you two got married in the first place. Where you that incompatible early on or is this a new development?

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Considering the above, it's a wonder you two got married in the first place. Where you that incompatible early on or is this a new development?

A good question, and one I'm hesitant to try to answer as I am struggling to separate the "grass is greener" POV from reality. I was infatuated, so all of her flaws I ignored, and I was in full "adapt to the expectations of whoever you're trying to impress" mode so my flaws were hidden. In hindsight, we got married waaaaaaaay too fast.