User Tag List

123 Last

Anew Leaf

Default INTPs: If someone is no longer interesting, do you ignore them?

I am not suggesting every INTP does this, or that every person who ignores another must be an INTP.... It is simply a trend I have noticed with some of my INTP friends and I wanted to get some feedback on it.

I've seen quite a few INTP posters on various boards talk about how if they meet someone who has knowledge that they don't, they will want to (and often do) pepper that person with hundreds of questions to get the knowledge for themselves. I've experienced this for myself as well with some of my INTP friends, and even my INTP dad. When someone is interesting to them, then they are fully engaged.

What I wonder is what happens afterwards. Do you, as an INTP, find yourself ignoring that person once the information has been harvested? Or do you not even notice that you have stopped talking to that person?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am not suggesting every INTP does this, or that every person who ignores another must be an INTP.... It is simply a trend I have noticed with some of my INTP friends and I wanted to get some feedback on it.
    This sentence alone may help to avoid a lot of borderline troll posts.
    I've seen quite a few INTP posters on various boards talk about how if they meet someone who has knowledge that they don't, they will want to (and often do) pepper that person with hundreds of questions to get the knowledge for themselves. I've experienced this for myself as well with some of my INTP friends, and even my INTP dad. When someone is interesting to them, then they are fully engaged.

What I wonder is what happens afterwards. Do you, as an INTP, find yourself ignoring that person once the information has been harvested? Or do you not even notice that you have stopped talking to that person?
    Humans have multiple purposes for INTPs. Some provide knowledge, some provide physical pleasures , some are good playmates and some people are just fun to be around. Some people aren't fun (I doubt it would be your case though), but almost every person knows something that we don't. Sometimes they just bought a new house and can provide information about the housing market. Perhaps they have been to another country I wanna visit and know the bureaucracy process of getting visas/passports. People usually like talking about their jobs and lives, so it's a win-win. But if they aren't fun, there's nothing left for me to benefit from after they have shared their knowledge.
    To be honest, my default mode irl is ''avoid as many people as you can'', so I've basically been doing that only in situations where I didn't have many options besides interacting, like co-workers, classmates, relatives at parties.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."

-- Galileo Galilei

I never ignore a person unless that person has a cruel or difficult personality. Even then, I sometimes go out of my way to be around difficult people, because I want to learn what circumstances made them difficult in the first place. Anyhow, Rasofy hit the nail on the head. Humans have different purposes, and so, INTP's have different relationships and goals with each person. For example, I spend time with an ESFP friend because he teaches me about human relationships, selling, sports, music, girls, and so on, but I spend time with my ISTP friend because we can discuss politics, religion, science, philosophy, and joke sarcastically with each other, knowing that the other won't take offense.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yes.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Lol@ "harvested" and I didn't notice at that time.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    INTP

I hate to admit it, but yes. I mean, not in a mean way, but I won't actively seek to maintain the relationship. It's not really a conscious thing, though.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

If anyone lost interest in you as a person, I'd kick them in the pills for being defective.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I can say from experience that the answer is no. I have put long hours into people that were not interesting to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I can say from experience that the answer is no. I have put long hours into people that were not interesting to me.
    Hmmm. Well, this is true for me, too. There are plenty of folks that I have patience for that no one else does, because I feel like they need someone to listen to them or help them.

I guess the bottom line is, I just don't find most people to be very interesting--and maybe it's because they don't share my interests, not because they themselves aren't interesting. But in those cases, I find it easier to just not try to hang out with each other than to trudge through hours of social awkwardness. I have often wondered why we can't just be okay with everyone not having to be everyone else's friend. But then I probably wouldn't like that sort of world if everyone behaved that way. I guess I just want to behave that way. :-P
    Something Witty

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Are the INTPs friends you have in mind e5? I'd guess this would be more of an e5 thing than INTP- constantly feeling like inner resources will be depleted easily by the external world, and consequently hoarding attention for the times when something/someone is particularly engaging. I find myself doing this a lot [edit: and I have the exact same attitude Tallulah just described]. It isn't intentional.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari