User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Are the INTPs friends you have in mind e5? I'd guess this would be more of an e5 thing than INTP- constantly feeling like inner resources will be depleted easily by the external world, and consequently hoarding attention for the times when something/someone is particularly engaging. I find myself doing this a lot [edit: and I have the exact same attitude Tallulah just described]. It isn't intentional.
    I relate to this a lot (I'm a 5w4, INTP).

I have an inner compulsion to always accumulate more and more information. I never feel adequate in knowing, and am always uncertain about what I know, so I absorb data from as many sources as possible. For example, it's really easy for me to read all day, research on the computer all day, or go to the library all day, where I have no external distractions. Instead, I can focus internally on a problem, almost to the point of obsession, where everything else fades away but what I want to learn. It's always an endless search that's never fully satisfied.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I guess the bottom line is, I just don't find most people to be very interesting--and maybe it's because they don't share my interests, not because they themselves aren't interesting. But in those cases, I find it easier to just not try to hang out with each other than to trudge through hours of social awkwardness.
    I'm also this way. The OP describes a situation where an INTP might get closer to someone to extract knowledge from them and then sort of leave them hanging. I can say pretty definitively that I don't do that, nor could I see myself doing so. If I don't want to hang out with someone, I won't - period. I'll get that interesting tidbit of knowledge some other way, be it a book, online, simply trying to figure it out myself, etc. Perhaps I'm not the one to answer the OP -- I don't do the "pepper people with questions" thing -- partially because I'm an antisocial dork (), partially because I don't want to be a supplicant to anyone.

If I spend time with someone, it's because I find *them* interesting and fun. Sure, often that involves what I consider fun or stimulating conversation, but it's not usually (pretty much never) a case of knowledge-gathering.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

I feel like ENPs can do this as well in a way, though people aren't interesting because of knowledge but because they are interesting as characters. It's almost like I view certain people like people as if they were from a novel, and I like to understand their intricacies.

I haven't known enough INTPs to say how the quintessential INTP would act, but the one I know the best doesn't really do this.

From what I've seen from the three INTP ex's (luckily not with me), they did the classic INTP fade with contacts and friends.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Never got disinterested about someone i found interesting and made good friends with, so hard to say what would happen, but i dont see myself doing that. I prefer to be picky about good friends, so that i dont get bored with them for long term.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's interesting @Z Buck McFate mentioned e5, because I was about to chime in and say it's threads like these that make me wonder if I'm just a really soft INtP. Because the half hearted INFP I am, will also ignore people who are no longer of interest. Unintentionally, of course. Unless you made it into the trusted friend catergory.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Not having an interest in what someone has to say isn’t ignoring, it’s just having different interests

Anew Leaf

Thank you for the responses so far! I got a bit swamped with a few things right now but will respond to them later.

I appreciate the candid input.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't avoid people; and if they write me or I feel like writing them, I will. But I have noticed my typical relationship pattern with people I don't see daily are basically to meet, connect, have a wild intense exchange that lasts anywhere from a few days to a month, and then the communication speed dwindles to just periodic as the relationship moves into a "maintenance" phase.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

INTPs: If someone is no longer interesting, do you ignore them?
    I have done this many times