• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's that do badly in school

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i hang out with slackers but the really ironic part is that they look up to ME and here i am complaining about them being slackers.

and im too unfocused. i'm very good at what i do in the practical world but can barely manage passing the same material in school...unless i get super passionate about it. projects i love, exams i hate.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do great at school! I love learning and asking the teachers about all sorts of stuff! :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I do great at school! I love learning and asking the teachers about all sorts of stuff! :D

stock-photo-893806-yes-sir.jpg

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

But what if you think that the teachers are full of shit and you actually know better. That's when it gets tough.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But what if you think that the teachers are full of shit and you actually know better. That's when it gets tough.

I would raise my hand and say something along the lines of "I've read in X that it's Z... ?". A teacher totally full of shit probably wouldn't like me because I would constantly correct them.

And after class I would do my best to avoid them.

A

A window to the soul

Does this exist? I mean like the kind where they struggle in school because they don't get it, not because they are bored, disinterested or unmotivated.

I was a quick learner, partly motivated by the thought that other people might make a higher grade or be more knowledgeable than me. (That's of course when I was focused.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I would raise my hand and say something along the lines of "I've read in X that it's Z... ?". A teacher totally full of shit probably wouldn't like me because I would constantly correct them.

And after class I would do my best to avoid them.

Mmm. That's definitely a good strategy :D

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did pretty poorly in high school, not because I wasn't capable of grasping the material, but only I didn't make earnest efforts to participate. Basically, I hated both homework and being told when and what to learn; I only ever applied myself to learn what I was interested in at that specific moment, to which my interests would arbitrarily change from one subject to the next. Also, most classwork just seemed like busy work, which I heavily resented doing. I often would get scolded in class for reading ahead to different chapters or reading different course textbooks during another class.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I did poorly in school. I didn't "get" why I had to be there. To me, it was just a part-time prison. Naturally, I rebelled against my unjust incarceration.

Do some NTs do badly in school because they're not intelligent enough to understand the material? Undoubtedly, and moreso at higher levels of education.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The greatest difficult for me in school was that it followed a bottom-up strategy. I was never intrested in stuff, cause I didnt know what it was good for.

me too.

INTP brother did not-so-well in reading at first. we were really concerned about him not reading... and struggling to read on tests in school... then lo and behold, car magazines. he is now an avid reader.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The greatest difficult for me in school was that it followed a bottom-up strategy. I was never intrested in stuff, cause I didnt know what it was good for.

I REALLY don't get why they made it like this. Why? Why? It doesn't make any sense at all. It only bores students because 1. the topics are too far from what they know 2. Far from seeing possible practicality. I had to learn all about it in my private time, and I finally found meaning in them.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I found tons of meaning and utility in school. The annoying thing was that the teachers supposedly teaching the material didn't even know what they were teaching. Way too many teachers were just reading from a script without even understanding their own material.

T

ThatGirl

I did terrible in high school because as I put it then, they were teaching everything they taught in grade school just with more detail. I also hated the rules, like if you were a minute late to class due to a line in the ladies room, they would ensure you don't go to class.

In "tardy sweep" once I was confined to a room where I had to spend the period writing the school rules. The paper I turned in read as such.

Rule 1: If you do not want go to class, we will strictly enforce that you are unable to go to class.

Etc.

I didn't like the hypocrisy either, nor the idea of group discipline.

During college I was a model student, with As for the most part.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
They exist

One of my best friends (ENTP) did this for a long time. I believe he enjoyed tormenting or toying with his educators and embraced his position at the very bottom of our class, but then decided to stop and got some stupidly huge number on his college placement exams

He is going to law school

He "got it" eventually

You have to abide by certain rules, even if you don't like them, in order to function optimally

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did terrible in high school because as I put it then, they were teaching everything they taught in grade school just with more detail.

Sounds cool to me. I love going more in depth into things!

T

ThatGirl

Sounds cool to me. I love going more in depth into things!

Once I get the point, I don't really care about the details. Usually, I have gathered the details I think are relevant the first time around. The rest is just fluff.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once I get the point, I don't really care about the details. Usually, I have gathered the details I think are relevant the first time around. The rest is just fluff.

I can see the sensor-intuitive difference here... I don't think the rest is fluff at all.

T

ThatGirl

I can see the sensor-intuitive difference here... I don't think the rest is fluff at all.

I doubt it is sensor/intuitive. Probably there are some ESTPs that would agree with me, and INFJs that would agree with you.