User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

I think i wouldve done better in school had i surrounded myself with people who strived as well. I did the opposite, and i think it had a larde effect on my personality... Or maybe it was the weed... hmm something to think about :P
    1+1=3 OMFG

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I just read a book about the effects of parents and teachers on the subconscious beliefs in children.
    If you grew up with the belief that your abilities are pre-determined, that you are born with certain capacities (like math aptitude) you will not reach your potential. Why? Because you will see every shortcoming as proof positive of your lack, and you will be unlikely to strive to overcome this. The opposite attitude is one were ability is something you work for, not in-born. Children raised with that belief are much more likely to fulfill their potentials.
    So it's entirely possible that a child who might be characterized as 'NT' to have been raised with this limiting belief system, and so not do as well in school. This effect has nothing to do with typology, but may effect how one answers the questions on a subjective typology test. Fortunately, you can change your basic attitude to the nature/nurture question through awareness, and then change the course of things.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I've had my share of relatively "bad" years (nothing outrageous, but most of the teacher were really pissed off at my lack of performance). It was mostly about having something else - more interesting - to do, and being bored by the material.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

When I was in high school, I couldn't have cared less about my classes or the entire school process. It was really boring in my eyes. I did OK because I learned how to play the system, but I left with no particular idea of what interested me in life, nor did I feel like I learned much of anything. Nowadays I equate that to doing very poorly.

Now that I'm back in school and now that I've discovered how much I love physics, I look back and ardently wish I could have had this back in high school. And the funny thing is, I'm really good at my classes now. It just comes naturally and that's a fantastic feeling.

So, yes, it's possible for an NT to do badly in school. But I think success in school, at least for ENTPs, rests on how much a subject captures their interest and imagination. If it doesn't, they'll likely not do as well in those courses.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Of course not. Everyone knows that all NTs are geniuses.
    -end of thread-

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    When I was in high school, I couldn't have cared less about my classes or the entire school process. It was really boring in my eyes. I did OK because I learned how to play the system, but I left with no particular idea of what interested me in life, nor did I feel like I learned much of anything. Nowadays I equate that to doing very poorly.

Now that I'm back in school and now that I've discovered how much I love physics, I look back and ardently wish I could have had this back in high school. And the funny thing is, I'm really good at my classes now. It just comes naturally and that's a fantastic feeling.

So, yes, it's possible for an NT to do badly in school. But I think success in school, at least for ENTPs, rests on how much a subject captures their interest and imagination. If it doesn't, they'll likely not do as well in those courses.
    Sooner or later no matter how bad they were at school NTs eventually turn in to academics.

Unless life overwhelmingly presses them down and keeps that part of life out of reach.

Like for the Jews in concentration camps.
    Muslim women in Afghanistan.
    etc

And all those freaks who believe in God too much and prevents their young from learning anything other than God.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Of course not. Everyone knows that all NTs are geniuses.
    This is very true. I am glad you confessed.

Also,

I have noticed that INTPs are the most likely to do bad at school. This is not because they do not understand. It is because they are extreme slackers. it is shocking how introspective and academic they are yet some of them fail to do well at school. I had two such classmates. One is a best friend.

INTPs are the most rational of all rationals. But at rationality they fails at times due to inertia and indecisiveness.

And they say INFPs are the most idealistic of all idealists. But at times they fail to lend a helping hand due to them being extremely indecisive.

Take it from Riva.

Oh, INTJs are the most likely to succeed at academics at school or wherever.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Sooner or later no matter how bad they were at school NTs eventually turn in to academics.

Unless life overwhelmingly presses them down and keeps that part of life out of reach.

Like for the Jews in concentration camps.
    Muslim women in Afghanistan.
    etc

And all those freaks who believe in God too much and prevents their young from learning anything other than God.
    Hahaha bold statements there. I wonder if they are true.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I have noticed that INTPs are the most likely to do bad at school. This is not because they do not understand. It is because they are extreme slackers.
    I don't think that the average INTP is necessarily a slacker. I just think that they are least likely to actually try in a subject that does not interest them because they probably wouldn't see or care about its importance. I wouldn't call this being a slacker, since they frequently work very hard at the things that do interest them.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    I don't think that the average INTP is necessarily a slacker. I just think that they are least likely to actually try in a subject that does not interest them because they probably wouldn't see or care about its importance. I wouldn't call this being a slacker, since they frequently work very hard at the things that do interest them.
    The ones I mentioned were both science fanatics. Especially physics.

They both did horribly in the end. They were horrible slackers in their own field of expertise and enthusiasm.

Maybe they felt insecure and didn't want to challenge themselves, since though they were good at science and were enthusiastic the exams weren't a walk in the park.

Psychological mambo jumbo I am getting in to here.