• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Mathematical equations and formulas

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Soh Cah Toa

its the one I have found the most useful

Related: Cao Sha Cho.

I've always hated equations. Memorizing boring shit that I don't care about. If I had to pick one I'd go with f'(x) = (limit as h approaches 0) f(x+h) - f(x) / h (the function for derivatives) because derivatives and integrals are awesome concepts

Another useful formula: f'(x)=y+dy=f(x+dx). Solve for dy/dx to find the derivative. Equally effective and much easier than limits.

...and that equation is less about memorizing what numbers go where than it is about understanding larger ideas.

That's what math is about, and it often isn't taught that way.

Other than that, I tend to like miscellaneous mathematical formulae I've derived.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also recently just learned about Lorentz Transformations (from Yale!):
eq38.gif

Really awesome. Relates how people view time, space, order of events, length of objects, etc. from relative velocity. Go Einstein!
(These are the main equations of relativity which lead to the more famous E=mc^2)

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
If I understood the Schrödinger equation I would probably like that one.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
WTF? People actually have favorite formulas? This is news to me.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohm's Law
For many conductors of electricity, the electric current which will flow through them is directly proportional to the voltage applied to them. When a microscopic view of Ohm's law is taken, it is found to depend upon the fact that the drift velocity of charges through the material is proportional to the electric field in the conductor. The ratio of voltage to current is called the resistance, and if the ratio is constant over a wide range of voltages, the material is said to be an "ohmic" material. If the material can be characterized by such a resistance, then the current can be predicted from the relationship:

Ohm's Law - I=V/R or Electric Current = Voltage / Resistance

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ohm's Law
For many conductors of electricity, the electric current which will flow through them is directly proportional to the voltage applied to them. When a microscopic view of Ohm's law is taken, it is found to depend upon the fact that the drift velocity of charges through the material is proportional to the electric field in the conductor. The ratio of voltage to current is called the resistance, and if the ratio is constant over a wide range of voltages, the material is said to be an "ohmic" material. If the material can be characterized by such a resistance, then the current can be predicted from the relationship:

Ohm's Law - I=V/R or Electric Current = Voltage / Resistance

You got that from my sig!

AdventureJason

MBTI Type
ENTP
The binomial theorem & Pascal's triangle. It's the only time I have ever used advanced math in my career (software engineering) back around 1996. Which is why I put it #1. ;)

I was an intern for a telecom company and the marketing department wanted to know how many of a certain type of circuit board to order. So someone gave the problem to the intern to play with for fun. :)

I instantly recognized it was some sort of common statistical problem. But rather than waste time figuring out which one and taking a lot of time assuring it was correct, I wrote a quick software program to simulate the entire statistical problem. Then once I had the stats that I knew were right, I noticed they fit a certain pattern. And so then I reverse engineered and saw they fit the Pascal's Triangle\binomial theorem or something like that.

So of course, I told my boss I solved it via the binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle and went through the formula showing it to him. And told him that I double-checked the work afterwards via a software simulation to prove it. ;) That was a fun day for a 20 year old.