User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    15

    Default ENTJs what were you like as children? For instance your social life as a child/teen

    I suppose all NT types could answer this, not just ENTJs. I was interested in the behavior of NT children, to compare against myself, a ENTJ. As a child I remember reading everything I could find in the local library, books on science, math, novels, biography's, and encyclopedias. I played a lot of sports, was involved in various social functions, such as Boy Scouts. I went to sporting events, football, basketball, etc... I never really felt that I belonged to a clique, I found cliques stupid. I wasn't a nerd, a jock, preppy, or what ever other clique's one might think of. I found dating in middle school, and high school stupid, I found high school "drama" stupid. I also had a wide array of friends from surrounding towns, who were vary different in their pursuits and interest. My hobbies were reading, computers, video games, and sports. I found a article once describing ENTJ children, it stated that ENTJs do not really act there age as children and instead act more grown up than their peers. Sadly I lost that article, it's on my old computer, I was hoping maybe someone on Typology Central knew of it, and could maybe post it. What were you NT types like? I am especially interested in my fellow ENTJs. Thank you.

    I should also add that I was president of every group I could be in charge of, holding on to power as Boy Scouts Post President for 2 years, long past my 6 month term limit, very ENTJ like.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I liked to build things. My father was a man of many talents, carpentry being one of them. I made many things out of wood hammer and nails from the moment I could lift a hammer. Legos were my obsession. Army men being a close second. I loved to explore the woods, build forts, and had a vivid imagination.

    I liked to read as well, I read everything from history to fantasy. I was fascinated with Alexander the Great, William the Conqueror, Robert E. Lee, Napoleon Bonaparte, etc. I read every single book I could pick up on them and studied their various military strategies when available. I liked fantasy books with characters that must discover the greatness within themselves through a great journey, and wreck evil afterwords (all fantasy books?).

    I made cliques, I was usually in charge of these cliques.

    I had many many girlfriends in middle school (it was between 15 and 20 can't remember exact number) just to say I did, in high school I didn't have a single one. I blew girls off all the time to go hang out with my friends, this earned me an "asshole" reputation. I didn't give a shit, I didn't care about sex, for personal reasons that aren't personality related.

    As far as sports and video games go, I was highly competitive. I would do whatever it took to win. I had such a terrible time dealing with loss, it was the worst possible feeling I experienced as a kid (especially if I felt superior to the opposing person/team). Even when I had chronic bronchitis, I went onto the field and pushed myself to my physical limits. One soccer game I played, I went so far as to play mid-field the whole game (while I was still suffer from chronic bronchitis). At half time I drank 1 and a half soccer water bottles just to break up the mucus that was blocking up my airways. I remember feeling like I was going to die, but that didn't matter as much to me as winning. I ended up with something ridiculous like 13 goals. I dominated the field every time I stepped on it, I wasn't all that good, I just pushed myself 10 times harder than anyone else.

    Edit: The greatest day of my childhood is when my dad bought Windows 95, and got dial-up internet....

    Edit #2: Thought I would mention, I was very disobedient. I don't really know why, I just was. I got "the fire whipped out of me" more times than I can remember. I was very rebellious from a young age, I didn't like to be hugged/kissed/touched in any way by mother or other loved ones (no I wasn't sexually abused). I also suffered from pretty severe depression between 5th and 8th grade, though that's a whole other discussion.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CCCXXIX View Post
    I liked to build things. My father was a man of many talents, carpentry being one of them. I made many things out of wood hammer and nails from the moment I could lift a hammer. Legos were my obsession. Army men being a close second. I loved to explore the woods, build forts, and had a vivid imagination.

    I liked to read as well, I read everything from history to fantasy. I was fascinated with Alexander the Great, William the Conqueror, Robert E. Lee, Napoleon Bonaparte, etc. I read every single book I could pick up on them and studied their various military strategies when available. I liked fantasy books with characters that must discover the greatness within themselves through a great journey, and wreck evil afterwords (all fantasy books?).

    I made cliques, I was usually in charge of these cliques.

    I had many many girlfriends in middle school (it was between 15 and 20 can't remember exact number) just to say I did, in high school I didn't have a single one. I blew girls off all the time to go hang out with my friends, this earned me an "asshole" reputation. I didn't give a shit, I didn't care about sex, for personal reasons that aren't personality related.

    As far as sports and video games go, I was highly competitive. I would do whatever it took to win. I had such a terrible time dealing with loss, it was the worst possible feeling I experienced as a kid (especially if I felt superior to the opposing person/team). Even when I had chronic bronchitis, I went onto the field and pushed myself to my physical limits. One soccer game I played, I went so far as to play mid-field the whole game (while I was still suffer from chronic bronchitis). At half time I drank 1 and a half soccer water bottles just to break up the mucus that was blocking up my airways. I remember feeling like I was going to die, but that didn't matter as much to me as winning. I ended up with something ridiculous like 13 goals. I dominated the field every time I stepped on it, I wasn't all that good, I just pushed myself 10 times harder than anyone else.

    Edit: The greatest day of my childhood is when my dad bought Windows 95, and got dial-up internet....

    Edit #2: Thought I would mention, I was very disobedient. I don't really know why, I just was. I got "the fire whipped out of me" more times than I can remember. I was very rebellious from a young age, I didn't like to be hugged/kissed/touched in any way by mother or other loved ones (no I wasn't sexually abused). I also suffered from pretty severe depression between 5th and 8th grade, though that's a whole other discussion.
    That's interesting that you bring up playing a soccer game with bronchitis. When I was a child I had a similar experience. I once broke my toe playing pick up basketball on a Monday, went to the doctor for treatment and against his orders played soccer on Saturday. I told my parents it was nothing but a sprain, my INFJ mother would never have let me play on a broken toe. I felt the need to be the best, and I played every position in every sport, so playing on a broken toe was something I had to do. Fortunately, I played goalie that day vs our hated rivals, I played well, but my toe was about to fall off after that game.

  4. #4
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    I was wild, kind of nerdy, and a little angry as a kid. My hobbies were my occasional intellectual obsessions. I read a lot. I was goal-oriented from a young age. I'd make these bucket lists, and one way or the other I'd manage to knock everything out over the course of the next several years.

    I've always been strongly internal. I wasn't too great on teams, so I used the arts as an outlet. In high school, I danced, wrote, and occasionally acted. I always wanted to be the best. As a freshman, I was probably one of the worst dancers in my company. I started late so my technique was lacking. I made the decision one day as a freshman to be a soloist. For the next four years, I woke up at 5am every morning to practice, I took extra classes after school, and lessons over the summer. In three years, I was a featured ballet and modern soloist, and became a principal in my modern dance troupe in college. Everything was like that for me.

    I was indifferent socially. I was never the easiest person to get along with. I can count my friends, but I love them like family. I made my closest friend when I was nine years old, and we've been friends ever since. Because those few basic relationships are in place I've always been something of a floater. I'm the kind who can find something in common with just about anyone. In high school, I was chill with the nerds, the "cool" kids, the artsy kids--whoever. If someone was cool, I'd find a way to connect with them. I'm more about one on one relationships, so I'd have one or two people I'd connect with from each group, and I'd be friends with their friends, ect. I don't really relate to what's been said about making my own social group. I'm cool with taking people as they are, and leaving them as I found them. I tend to travel light. The best way to describe myself as a kid and now is a loner with a lot of friends (if that makes any sense).
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  5. #5
    Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian2626 View Post
    That's interesting that you bring up playing a soccer game with bronchitis. When I was a child I had a similar experience. I once broke my toe playing pick up basketball on a Monday, went to the doctor for treatment and against his orders played soccer on Saturday. I told my parents it was nothing but a sprain, my INFJ mother would never have let me play on a broken toe. I felt the need to be the best, and I played every position in every sport, so playing on a broken toe was something I had to do. Fortunately, I played goalie that day vs our hated rivals, I played well, but my toe was about to fall off after that game.
    Sounds EXACTLY like my ENTJ best friend. She never lets a physical injury or illness stop her from doing what she wants to do, even if she's growling her way through said activity. Once, in middle school, someone practically broke her arm on the soccer field, and she refused to cry even though she was in horrible pain.

    Is that willfulness, fear of showing weakness, anger that your plans got screwed up due to someone else's mistakes? I've always wondered what the " powering through at any cost" was driven by.
    7w6 so/sx

    " The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

  6. #6
    Senior Member shoshana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    eNTJ
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian2626 View Post
    I suppose all NT types could answer this, not just ENTJs. I was interested in the behavior of NT children, to compare against myself, a ENTJ. As a child I remember reading everything I could find in the local library, books on science, math, novels, biography's, and encyclopedias. I played a lot of sports, was involved in various social functions, such as Boy Scouts. I went to sporting events, football, basketball, etc... I never really felt that I belonged to a clique, I found cliques stupid. I wasn't a nerd, a jock, preppy, or what ever other clique's one might think of. I found dating in middle school, and high school stupid, I found high school "drama" stupid. I also had a wide array of friends from surrounding towns, who were vary different in their pursuits and interest. My hobbies were reading, computers, video games, and sports. I found a article once describing ENTJ children, it stated that ENTJs do not really act there age as children and instead act more grown up than their peers. Sadly I lost that article, it's on my old computer, I was hoping maybe someone on Typology Central knew of it, and could maybe post it. What were you NT types like? I am especially interested in my fellow ENTJs. Thank you.

    I should also add that I was president of every group I could be in charge of, holding on to power as Boy Scouts Post President for 2 years, long past my 6 month term limit, very ENTJ like.
    yes yes yes i'd agree with the article. when i was very young i was reading all sorts of books (i was heavily into science fiction read dune and such at age 11 but past age 16 i stopped and got into more serious non-fiction and more intensely philosophical fiction). my parents never talked to me like i was a child so when adults would talk down to me i found those types of interactions confusing. people would always tell me they were impressed by my extensive vocabulary, opinions and such -- i was sort of a very free spirited youngster and when playing games in the playground i'd opt to be male superheros such as batman rather than be batgirl or catwomen and most of the time i made the rules to such games.

    in high school i had a several female friends of whom were all apart of separate cliques so i sortof floated in an out and retained a very weird style of dress (from shopping in thrift stores and hot topic and random department stores and getting clothes at concerts). i was president of a club that i involved myself in, but didnt get involved in sport activities beyond the required gym class, i didnt really like staying after school for any reason and the one club i was involved in was mainly to make my experience look good for college applications. in my senior year i had a part time job and interned at a college working on my own research that i presented at several science symposiums. i'm from new jersey -- all the kids rent houses down the shore and get drunk after prom... i grabbed my best girlfriend and we road tripped to boston and went sight-seeing for a week instead. i didnt smoke anything or really drink until college because i was mostly uninterested. also i would take buses into manhattan by myself to go to museums.

    all my life i'm also looked to as a source for unbiased and logical advice

    i'm sure this is enough information to go on -- i think we have had a somewhat similar experience in being 'more mature' than our peers

  7. #7
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I was almost exactly like you, Brian - except the boy scout thingy, here boy scouts are strongly connected with the catholic church and I hate that shit. I would necessarily define myself as more mature than my peers, although probably I would have defined myself as such at 13 - mostly because middle and early high school was soooo full of dumb people, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Is that willfulness, fear of showing weakness, anger that your plans got screwed up due to someone else's mistakes? I've always wondered what the " powering through at any cost" was driven by.
    I just want to finish the task.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  8. #8
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    I was a control freak who absolutely loved to read and boss people around.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I was a control freak who absolutely loved to read and boss people around.
    14 is still young.

  10. #10
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    14 is still young.
    I wasn't a teen back then.

Similar Threads

  1. What were you like as a child?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 10:30 AM
  2. [E4] Fours: What were you like as children?
    By IndyGhost in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-16-2017, 12:02 PM
  3. Attention ISFJ's What were you like in school and college?
    By BWCB1890 in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 06:53 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
  5. [ISFJ] ISFJs, what do you like to do for fun/talk about?
    By KarenParker in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO