User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thumbs up Putting in contact lenses

I just got contact lenses; I've been trying to put in my contact lenses all day.

They're very frustrating. contact lenseses.

I was thinking a lot of the people in this forum probably have contact lenseses.

I got so frustrated at one point I was ready to pick something up & dropkick it all the way across the bathroom.

But I scaled it down-- I'm calm now.

The lightbulb clicked over my head a minute ago & I was thinking a lot of you NT people could give some logical advice to a brotha on how to put in contact leneseseses.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

When I first realized I had bad vision, I thought it was something everybody had. I was 14 at the time-- I figured everyone's vision got worse over time as they saw more & more of the world: I just assumed I was looking at everything a lot harder than everyone else, straining my eyes.

But by the time I had to get glasses a couple years later, I'd abandoned that belief. I guess I never believed it anyway-- it was wishful thinking. On the other side of hypochondria, you find wishful thinking.

It was painful to admit my eyes were just worse than other people's. I'd gotten used to looking at trees as vague blobs of green, looking at people's hair as vague shapes of yellow, brown, black. The experience of seeing the individual leaves on a tree was euphoric but unsettling, seeing that much detail in things. It can make you neurotic being able to see that much.

Eventually I got irritated with the way the glasses felt on my face. I started to resent them. They always seemed undersymmetrical & out of balance. With contact lenses, I'm having trouble touching my eyes. I can touch the white part but not the pupil. It's like it's very territorial-- only light gets in there. Blunt objects, fingers, they're too coarse for the pupil. I'm always blinking to keep my fingers away from my eye.
    RCUAI
    ---------

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Try this:
    Lubricate the lens with saline solution.
    Pull down your lower lid a bit. Put the lens against the white part of the eye, then gently slid it into place with your finger tip. The lens may overlap the iris a bit. that's ok, since that's where it's going anyway.

After a while you can do this with one holding the lens with your thumb and index finger, and pulling the lid down with your middle finger.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Also, make sure tha the lens is oriented the right way. Otherwise it's likely to pop out.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    LIE

when I was 8, I went to get my eyes checked.

Turns out my eyes are terrible.

Optometrist tells me I can have contacts if I want.

I sit down to try to put them in.

I can still remember the difficulties I was having.

She told me if I couldn't get them in I would have to wear glasses.

So I sat there for 3 hours until I finally got both in. My mom and sister were there with me, they wanted to just go home. But I was a stubborn little bastard.

It's all about how you angle it against your eye, and after that it's all about forcing it. Keep your eyeball completely still, don't move it at all, place the contact in and then move it to the center and blink. Voila.

Hahahaha, it is like that for most people. Back then, I generally had a harder time taking them out compared to putting them in.

For putting them in:
    1: Use your opposite hand from your eye to place the contact you are about to put in.
    2: Use the hand on the same side as your eye to open your eyelid. Easiest fingers to use are the middle and index finger.

For taking them out:
    1: Similar process as putting them in.
    2: While taking the contacts out, use your index finger and thumb to slightly pinch the contacts to come off.

If you have astigmatism, make sure you look at your contacts, it is shaped a particular way so that the bottom part of the contact only has wording (while the other three directions have lines.) If you don't have astigmatism, it isn't something to worry about too much.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CCCXXIX View Post
    when I was 8, I went to get my eyes checked.

[...]

So I sat there for 3 hours until I finally got both in. My mom and sister were there with me, they wanted to just go home. But I was a stubborn little bastard.
    I was at the eye place for about an hour. I was already too annoyed after the first 3 tries to keep going, but the doctor kept encouraging me so I continued. I was half-assing it by that point though since I just wanted to leave. It's weird, when I first came in I figured it would be easy.

What I'm doing now is just practicing touching the center of my eye since I only have 2 disposable sets to practice with & I don't want to waste them.

When I was 8, I think that's when I learned how to walk.
    RCUAI
    ---------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Hahahaha, it is like that for most people. Back then, I generally had a harder time taking them out compared to putting them in.
    I thought taking them out would be way easier, but then the doctor explained the pinching thing you talked about. Making me realize I'm supposed to put two fingers in my eye. Shiiiit son..
    RCUAI
    ---------

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Pull it off of the center of your eye before you pinch.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah I've kinda given up for today, I'm going to be posting on the forum for the rest of the day. I'll file everyone's advice away but I'm busy now, I'm procrastinating.
    RCUAI
    ---------