User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Man, I remember the trouble I had when I first tried contacts years ago. That reflex of closing your eye to protect it is very strong, but you can train to ignore/circumvent it.

I am concluding from your later remarks that you have disposable soft contacts. Good news is those should be easier to get used to than hard contact lenses.
    Yes, I know how frustrating it can be not to get them in right away, but it is a question of practice and patience. So take a deep breath and don't panic.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERKfkxLKdf0&feature=related"]How to...[/YOUTUBE]

I only have experience with hard contact lenses which I was told are healthier in the long run and last for years but are harder to get used to at first. Don't know how much of this can be applied to soft ones (which are easier on the eye at first but also bigger, so you have to open your eyes even more).

- calm down
    - if you do this in front of the bathroom mirror over the sink, make sure the plug is down, so that if you should drop the lense it can't end up in the drain
    - make sue the lense is moist enough, your index finger not only clean but dry, so the lense doesn't slid around on it (very annoying!)
    - the lense has to be parallel to the eyeball otherwise you might hit the eyeball with the edge (maybe more a hard lense than a soft lense issue) which might trigger anotherb blink reflex
    - you obviously don't want to poke your eyes out but I have noticed that I often underestimated the distance between the finger and the eye and moved the finger too softly towards the eye, this takes practice

The blinking reflex is natural and hard to get rid of. But you can do it and it gets easier every time.

Once you have the contacts in your eyes the next step is keeping them in! At least with the hard ones that too takes practice. You start with maybe 15 or 30 minutes the first day, a little longer the second day, etc. Because it stings a bit at first and feels uncomfortable to have them in. Also, you might initially run around with your eyes half closed and have a hard time opening them up like you would without lenses.

All of this is just for your information to have you mentally prepared. I tried contacts when I was 16 and went through a very tough time getting used to them. But they kept fogging up in my eyes. So I had to return to glasses. Then at 21 I tried it again and it worked just fine without any major trouble whatsoever.

I have now been wearing them for ten years. Putting them in and getting them out (with the help of a little rubber sucker for hard contacts, I never learned to do it with the fingers) takes only a few seconds and I don't even notice I am wearing them.

Contact lenses are a gift of civilization and I am very happy to have them. But getting used to them and learning how to use them can be a trial. Don't give up or alternatively try again later like I did. You are not alone with that problem and I think it is worth persisting.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I'm sure I'll get it eventually, there's a learning curve with everything. That kid in the video has huge eyes though, my eyeholes are smaller & my index finger is almost as wide as the height of my eye. I'll get it though... if Asian people can wear these things I can.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Put the lens on a flat surface and put your eye on it, its much easier this way. Might sound bit weird, but poking your eye with finger is just unnatural..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I can't use them either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I thought taking them out would be way easier, but then the doctor explained the pinching thing you talked about. Making me realize I'm supposed to put two fingers in my eye. Shiiiit son..
    Hahahaha, it's unnatural at first, but it IS the easiest way to get them out of your eye in a timely manner.

There is just so many things I love doing without having to bring bulky glasses along. It ain't like laser eye surgery, but it is like it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've been touching my eyes all day, I think I'm almost to the point where I could gouge my eyes out. This is awesome, I can't wait to be so much cooler with my non-glasses
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Eh, I promise you they're easy once you've done it a few times. I just bang mine straight in without even thinking about it these days.

The first time was a pain in the arse though, so I feel your frustration. Just stick at it. Pro tip: They really don't hurt, so don't be afraid of them. If anything, putting in fresh lenses is cooling and refreshes the eye.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Is Falcarius the only one who thinks taking out contact lenses is harder than putting them in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

ThatGirl

I used to teach kids how to put theirs in. The easiest way that I found was this:

• Clean the contact thoroughly with solution.
    • Make sure the contact is facing the right way. Looks like a cup, not a flared bowl.
    • Place the contact on your index finger.
    • Make sure all your other fingers are dry and not wet from solution.
    • With one hand hold the eye open as wide as you can and look to the side.
    • Use your perifrial vision to guide the other hand to place the contact on the side white of your eye.
    • Do not PUT the contact on!
    • Simply let the edges of the contact touch the sphere of your eye at the same time, lightly.
    • The contact with naturally come off your finger and adhere to the eye.
    • Keeping the eye open with your hand, roll your eye around and look down.
    • While looking down, slowely close the lid of your eye, and press or blink to clear pockets of air.
    • Open your eye.
    • Contact should be in place and functional.
    • Repeat other eye.

I usually hold the top of my eye with my left middle finger, the bottom with the right middle finger, and use my right index to place the contact. This is because I need a lot of white to place the contact on. If I see it coming, my reflexes are too quick, and its NOT getting in there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Blah. -> The new sexy
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------