User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default What Strategy Would Win Ron Paul the Republican Nomination/Presidency

I have been interested in the U.S.'s Republican's candidate nominating process for the office of the President this year.

At first I didn't think my favorite candidate [Ron Paul] had a rat’s ass chance in winning the nomination. Now I think that it is still against the odds yet also it is reasonably possible.

Some of the reasons I feel it’s an uphill battle is because:

1. RP seems to be limited as to his ability to compromise his values/positions (this is also a reason why I like the guy too)

2. The media appears to dislike him or otherwise desire to ignore him or discount him and otherwise stuck in this mindset (for whatever reasons).

3. The Republican Party’s status quo, leaders, and membership and taking into account those states won't allow independents to participate in their caucus/primaries

4. Ron’s age and physical constitution.

5. The taste and expectation for the general public for the welfare state and a higher state of government intervention in their own and others’ lives within the country (as well as their apathy or ignorance of federalism)

So if you were Ron's campaign manager what tactics/strategies would you use to win the Presidency from this point on?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

Encourage other Republican candidates to debate (or talk in any form about anything) as much as possible

Emphasize the wars on cancer patients, air travelers, and free speech perpetuated by this administration and applauded by other colleagues seeking the Republican nomination

Moneybomb

Start building a progressive/Democrat voting bloc, because Obama definitely cannot claim these votes based on his recent performance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Start building a progressive/Democrat voting bloc, because Obama definitely cannot claim these votes based on his recent performance
    Yes I particularly see this as a key tactic both for the general election against Obama as well, to a degree, to convince pragmatic moderate Republicans of Ron's status as far as 'winablity' in the general election against Obama.

I think that he can get some of those liberal Democrats who are into the "peace movement" to jump on board to his ticket. So thus the challenge is to court those Democrats and Independents who lean to the left on foreign policy and some other social issues (i.e. medical marijuana states rights) without alienating to much of the core Republicans (especially prior to the convention)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Another aspect I find interesting is the numbers game. There are both problems and benefits of having a race with many candidates for the position. Divide and conquer with acts issues that split up the competitions. "My enemy's enemy becoming my friend (at least for the short term)" and using others as scapegoats and money's paws (having others take the blame or do your dirty work).

Bachmann seems specially fit for some good use before she is disposed (unwittingly or no)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Yes I particularly see this as a key tactic both for the general election against Obama as well, to a degree, to convince pragmatic moderate Republicans of Ron's status as far as 'winablity' in the general election against Obama.

I think that he can get some of those liberal Democrats who are into the "peace movement" to jump on board to his ticket. So thus the challenge is to court those Democrats and Independents who lean to the left on foreign policy and some other social issues (i.e. medical marijuana states rights) without alienating to much of the core Republicans (especially prior to the convention)
    I'm really really liberal and Ron Paul is the only candidate currently on the board who I would consider voting for (Kucinich is my favorite politician but he can't run right now). I am sick of Obama's shit, especially recently with the lack of veto for the detaining americans without trial thing that happened. So yeah, courting liberals a little bit would not be a bad idea SO LONG AS he makes it clear that he's looking at the general election. He'd do much better in the general election than in the Republican primaries.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Also Romney appears the candidate to beat. His current largest fear seems to be Newt. Even to the point where a win for Paul in Iowa would appear to him to be a win for him (not as good a win as taking 1st in the state himself but still a win nevertheless). Perhaps the campaigns could work with each other to a degree against a common enemy. I'm not sure exactly how beside each side focusing most of their negative adds and attention against Newt rather than each other.

Well, I think for the most part they are doing what they should be doing. Honestly, a book could be written in response, because there are so many moving parts to a campaign and maneuverability is important. Nevertheless, here are some thoughts:

1. Large financial expenditures in Iowa are critical, because having a strong start is incredibly important for both future fundraising and improving in polls. This is especially true when you can't rely on the media for any exposure.
    2. Spending most Iowa money on negative TV ads pointing out the weaknesses in the front runners' records. This will easily allow Ron to differentiate himself because Ron's record is pristine and principled. The hope is that success in Iowa will lead to a bump in NH. It also forces the field to widen allowing him to win with only 25%.
    4. Properly leverage grassroots through organizing Get out the vote (gotv) campaigns and phone from home polling to identify supporters in both Iowa and NH.
    5. Begin laying down groundwork for organization in the many western caucus states that vote between Florida and super Tuesday. This could be a long knockout drag-out battle and Ron's best chances of capturing delegates are in western caucus states where his libertarian ideals are more readily accepted and the process of caucusing is heavily influenced by well organized gotv efforts. Also, wins in these states would also build some much needed momentum going into super Tuesday should Paul win Iowa but still place second in NH, SC, and Fl.
    6. Overall, he's making the right decision by focusing state by state and not worrying about national polls... Unlike perry who is buying up nationally televised ads.
    7. It is unlikely that a clear winner will emerge early as socons hate Romney and will begin to hate Gingrich the more they learn about him. Thus being strategic in picking up delegates may be very important. There is talk by Rove and others that it's very likely we might end up with a brokered convention where nobody picks up a majority.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I know its exciting to pretend that Paul's a freedom fighter and the media and political establishment is out to stop him and everyone who isnt a supporter is a zombi or some nonsense but the more mundane reality, that he's pushing a dated ideology which can not work, has got to dawn eventually.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    So yeah, courting liberals a little bit would not be a bad idea SO LONG AS he makes it clear that he's looking at the general election. He'd do much better in the general election than in the Republican primaries.
    Yeah I think that reassuring the Republican core during the primaries that communications, coalitions and confederacies with Independent and progressive Democrats are acts of win-win for all and not abandonment.

The masses at the core don’t appear to be the most rational/intellectual of people, thus a different tact than mere logical explanation should be considered.

One doorway may be the fact that the Republican party has been so infiltrated by Neocon philosophy, media and leaders that a instead of allowing his candidacy to apologize, seek excuse or pragmating justification from the mass at the core that he should take reframe his candidacy as something larger than itself.

Perhaps return to paleoconservatism (via libertarianism) with the similar zeal as Old Testament prophet’s. To go on the offensive and paint those neocon elements in the Republican party as simply a distortion of new liberalism and Trotskyism. Thus instead of being painted as an isolationist to reinvent himself as a nationalist and not a “one worlder” or part of the new world order.

This would be heavy rhetoric so he would need to recruit some mouthpieces (perhaps within the libertarian wings of the tea parties) to push this points. Some younger republicans and those wanting advancement in leadership within the Teaparties might fit the bill.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I know its exciting to pretend that Paul's a freedom fighter and the media and political establishment is out to stop him and everyone who isnt a supporter is a zombi or some nonsense but the more mundane reality, that he's pushing a dated ideology which can not work, has got to dawn eventually.
    For the purpose of this post lets just pretend or (for the nonbelievers) suspend disbelief. If there is not enough substance apparent then use appearances or perception (or how it can be distorted). We all know that the best person doesn't always get the job so lets use our imaginations to work the best with the clay we get.

For example I am not a fan of Chiang Kai-shek but with retrospect and creativity I could play a game where I could lead him a course where history would see him as the winner over Mao Zedong