User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Faux INTJ?

  1. #31
    Member Frostshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IXXX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    Frostshade,

    You are certain of being an introvert. That is an I. You relate to type 6 and 4. Let's see : 6s are most likely Fs and Ps. 4s are most likely INFs. So the most likely MBTI type would be INFP (perhaps with shades of INTP). Fi/Ti may explain your ambivalence when making choices. Ne surely explains your drive towards fantasy, exploring, possibilities, reading, games. Why not take a look at those profiles? INFP is my hunch, but I may be wrong, I am not authority. :-)
    Uhhhhh hahaha. I don't know. I'll read more about it, but looking at a quick summary of them, they seem to be way more friendly inside than I am.
    A customer throws money on the counter and doesn't look at me. My first thoughts:"Pick it up and hand it to me. Toss it to me like a dog again and I'll break your little ****ing hand."
    Waiting upon giggly teenage girls. First thoughts "I don't have any general hatred towards you, but I wonder if I suddenly socked you one in the face and we both felt the breaking of wet cartilage under my fist. Would you take something serious for once in your life? Would you still find everything funny?

    I don't actually say or *do* these things. Sometimes though I'm taken aback that I think them at all however. Bottom line. I'm just not a people person. I can fake it for a while, but no. I'm too cold and easily frustrated by the human race.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Owfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    6s are most likely Fs and Ps.
    Most ISTJs are either type one or type 6s, and they are certainly not Fs or Ps. (Except me, the quasi ENFP)

  3. #33
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostshade View Post

    EDIT: Small Enneagram test I just took pegged me as a 4. *Also* sounds accurate, in fact it just barely beat out type 6.
    INTJ or INTP 4 is not very common at all. My test results always came up as 8, which was wrong, so I'd be careful with the tests.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  4. #34
    Member luismas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Most ISTJs are either type one or type 6s, and they are certainly not Fs or Ps. (Except me, the quasi ENFP)
    You would be right, ISTJs are included because 6s are not given to abstract theorizing. But 6s are usually divided between independence and togetherness, which probably correlates to Introversion-Feeling (not to say that all 6s have preference for F). They are more likely to be Ps due to the ambivalence.

  5. #35
    Member luismas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostshade View Post
    I don't actually say or *do* these things. Sometimes though I'm taken aback that I think them at all however. Bottom line. I'm just not a people person. I can fake it for a while, but no. I'm too cold and easily frustrated by the human race.
    Type 4 came out as your fundamental type, and they are very usually INFPs and INFJs. Let us be reminded that the preference for F is not always about personal warmth, friendliness, humanity and what not, but rather the weighting of personal values. Some INFs can prove to be quite misanthropic. You say that you are taken aback by those thoughts ; perhaps the repressed functions in those types (Te or Se) in action? I still think you are an IN_P, may be with a T, although the enneagram does not bear that out. Any progress?

  6. #36
    Member Frostshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IXXX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    Type 4 came out as your fundamental type, and they are very usually INFPs and INFJs. Let us be reminded that the preference for F is not always about personal warmth, friendliness, humanity and what not, but rather the weighting of personal values. Some INFs can prove to be quite misanthropic. You say that you are taken aback by those thoughts ; perhaps the repressed functions in those types (Te or Se) in action? I still think you are an IN_P, may be with a T, although the enneagram does not bear that out. Any progress?
    Hmm, I'm looking at INFP and I'm sorry but there are a couple of things that just clash with their description and me. Healers are known to follow their feelings. While I have strong feelings from time to time, for the longest time I have taken the view that following your heart is idiotic, because feelings will lie to you. Sometimes they are appropriate, but many times they will lead you into trouble. Experience with depression is living proof of this.

    If I'm reading this right, INFPs tend to seek out harmony, so all will be at peace together. I like harmony as well, but as horrible as it is, i like it not because I believe everyone should be at peace, but because it is order. Don't misunderstand me, I'm no anal retentive I have a casual sense of order. Flexible. However most of my frustrations (read:customers) come when people don't have it together. When they fail to follow what I consider perfect common sense. I used to have MSNBC as my homepage. I find that I'm happier in the mornings with google being the first thing I see instead.

    It is probably not the nicest thing to say, but I don't really believe in "causes", as most INFPs seem to do. The individual is what is important. It is on the individual scale that the most important battles of good and evil take place. I hear no call to go into the world and help people. That doesn't mean I will ignore them, it just means that I must trust in each person to show some morality, and sense of decency. I *shouldn't* trust it, but its immoral itself not to give them a chance.


    This is a quote from a page describing INFPs, "They conceive of the world as an ethical, honorable place, full of wondrous possibilities and potential goods. In fact, to understand Healers, we must understand that their deep commitment to the positive and the good is almost boundless and selfless, inspiring them to make extraordinary sacrifices for someone or something they believe in."
    This is far from me. I see the world as a generally broken and corrupt place. Positive and 'the good' are something everyone should have. I embrace it a lot less than I should, but I also believe you need that sense of the dark. That it gives you strength. Yes, strength. In much the same way a crippled virus introduced to your system puts your body on guard against it in the future. Don't leave it unchecked, but be aware that its there, and what it can do to you. You in a personal manner, not a detached 'violent news story' manner. You don't get rid of sin by ignoring it.

    There are some things about INFPs I see in myself, but I don't think this is me. Least not the majority of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tossing out your theory. I'm just not seeing it. Let me ask you something, did you say INFP because of my whole speech on the love of fantasy? Because outbursts (even in the internet) are rare for me.

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    95

    Default

    One thing to note:
    What you are reading in type descriptions is the extreme of what the individual representing the type could be. The types are about preferences and the descriptions tell you what happens when you act according to those preferences. But the older and mature you grow, the more difficult it will be to type you as you learn to use not only your preferred functions but the others as well. Also, a preference if a preference even when when it's very weak, and if you do have a weak preference for a letter, you may find another type fitting yourself as well.

    I am an INTJ and I am sure of that but I also know that I my preference for J is weak. The result is that I find the INTP descriptions fitting me almost as well as those of INTJ. Furthermore, according both online tests and reading of descriptions, my Fi (introverted feeling functions, the tertiary function of INTJ) is exceptionally high to be tertiary function. I guess it is because of that that I also find many characteristics of INFJ (more) and INFP (less) in me.

    What makes me sure of me being INTJ instead of INTP is my reactions in situations in which I really have to come up with something quickly. In those cases, I am definitely a judger, showing the INTJ "aura of seemingly infinite self-confidence"

    As for you, how about trying to figure out if you have weak preferences as well?
    INTJ, HSP, 1w9 or tritype 154, sx/sp

  8. #38
    Member Frostshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IXXX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    As for you, how about trying to figure out if you have weak preferences as well?
    I'm going to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

  9. #39
    Member luismas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostshade View Post
    There are some things about INFPs I see in myself, but I don't think this is me. Least not the majority of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tossing out your theory. I'm just not seeing it. Let me ask you something, did you say INFP because of my whole speech on the love of fantasy? Because outbursts (even in the internet) are rare for me.
    Well, my 'theory' is there to be improved, ain't it? :-) The fantasy element is related to intuition ; in your case, it seems to be extraverted intuition. INTP may be a better fit, given the above descriptions. Would you like to take another test? http://kisa.ca/personality/
    Take your time in picking the best options, then show us the results :-)

  10. #40
    Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    449

    Default

    My incination is toward you being and INTx of some kind, but I do think you have some misconceptions about NFs - INFPs in particular are hard to type because Fi is about values and what an INFP values is specific to the indivdual and can sometimes make us look like other types. Most INFP descriptions are likely to be of either Enneagram 9 or Enneagram 4 INFPs (they can look quite different, and an Enneagram 5 or 6 INFP will also be different than either of those). Since you mentioned having high scores on Enneagram 4 and 6 it is worth considering INFP and INFJ, but theoreticaly any MBTI type can be any Enneagram type and it can certainly explain not fitting the stereotype for any specific type.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostshade View Post
    Hmm, I'm looking at INFP and I'm sorry but there are a couple of things that just clash with their description and me. Healers are known to follow their feelings. While I have strong feelings from time to time, for the longest time I have taken the view that following your heart is idiotic, because feelings will lie to you. Sometimes they are appropriate, but many times they will lead you into trouble. Experience with depression is living proof of this.
    That statement does read as one with a strong thinking preference, but another way to look at it is to ask yourself what you would do if you were faced with a decision that you had to choose between what was logical and what you felt strongly about. If logic and what is right to you always agree and you never feel torn between the two, then you are probably a "T", but if you have a strong sense of right and wrong that sometimes chooses "what is right to you" over the most logical solution, then you have at least some feeling preference - how often you choose logic over your sense of right and wrong and how much you struggle with it are things to consider.

    If I'm reading this right, INFPs tend to seek out harmony, so all will be at peace together. I like harmony as well, but as horrible as it is, i like it not because I believe everyone should be at peace, but because it is order. Don't misunderstand me, I'm no anal retentive I have a casual sense of order. Flexible. However most of my frustrations (read:customers) come when people don't have it together. When they fail to follow what I consider perfect common sense. I used to have MSNBC as my homepage. I find that I'm happier in the mornings with google being the first thing I see instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.aesthetic-images.com/ebuie/infp-musings.html
    INFPs and harmony

    Classical "type wisdom" and the common descriptions of INFPs often say that INFPs value harmony above all and will go to great lengths to avoid conflict. Some profiles even say that we value other people's feelings above our own. Some INFPs agree that this describes them very well. Others say it doesn't resonate.

    Observation: Some INFPs value harmony much more than other INFPs do.

    I have yet to meet an INFP who actually likes conflict. We pretty much all agree that we'd rather live without it. But for some of us (I won't even hazard a guess about how many), other values are simply more important. We are willing to give up harmony when we can't have it and satisfy a higher-priority value at the same time.

    Conclusion: INFPs who often find themselves in conflict are those for whom other values take priority over harmony.

    I speculate that this harmony thing is one cause of the self-doubts that many INFPs seem to have about whether or not they are really INFPs.
    I am one of those INfps that does not relate to the descriptions of our type that tells how harmonious we are. I care about a positive mood in my presence, but I enjoy debate and friendly arguments and I also play devil's advocate just for the fun of it (one of my pet peeves is blind belief in anything, so I like to make sure someone has actually put some thought into what they believe and I will challenge their beliefs (even if they are my own) to see if they are sheep or not)

    It is probably not the nicest thing to say, but I don't really believe in "causes", as most INFPs seem to do. The individual is what is important. It is on the individual scale that the most important battles of good and evil take place. I hear no call to go into the world and help people. That doesn't mean I will ignore them, it just means that I must trust in each person to show some morality, and sense of decency. I *shouldn't* trust it, but its immoral itself not to give them a chance.
    I have mixed feelings about "causes" and the desire to be a champion for something, but I share the belief that the individual is whats important. Other xNFPs can comment on this, but I think the "crusader" is more of the ENFP stereotype and the "clarifier/healer" is the INFP stereotype - we may or may not get involved in a cause, but if we do, we will more than likely interact with individuals in a one on one basis to try to make a difference - for me, this means doing things like "helping others reach their potential", "helping others understand things (especially themselves)" and "encouraging/supporting the creative side of others".

    This is a quote from a page describing INFPs, "They conceive of the world as an ethical, honorable place, full of wondrous possibilities and potential goods. In fact, to understand Healers, we must understand that their deep commitment to the positive and the good is almost boundless and selfless, inspiring them to make extraordinary sacrifices for someone or something they believe in."
    This is far from me. I see the world as a generally broken and corrupt place. Positive and 'the good' are something everyone should have. I embrace it a lot less than I should, but I also believe you need that sense of the dark. That it gives you strength. Yes, strength. In much the same way a crippled virus introduced to your system puts your body on guard against it in the future. Don't leave it unchecked, but be aware that its there, and what it can do to you. You in a personal manner, not a detached 'violent news story' manner. You don't get rid of sin by ignoring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.aesthetic-images.com/ebuie/infp-profile.html
    INFP's look at humanity at both the individual (human-to-human) and societal levels. One common discouragement for INFP's is that societal change often seems impossible. When INFPs become discouraged, they may need some time and space to rediscover their values and a sense of inner peace. The conflict between their ideal world and "reality", as they see it can cause depression or withdrawal from the world unless they have people that support them in their projects.
    I think "cynical idealist" would describe many INFPs. my idealized world would indeed be a prety close match to the above description, and I often try to convince myself that most people are ethical and have more good than evil in them, and that its just the few bad apples that exploit the goodness of others that make it look like more people are untrustworthy than actually are. I tend to be very skeptical of anyone in the world of business or politics, but for everyone else, I take the approach that they have a mix of both goodness and selfishness in them and that they will opt for goodness more often than not - Where I am very cynical tho is the matter of honor, I've seen many "good hearted" people that display no sense of honor, so seeing someone as honorable is something that only occurs after I have known them long enough to make a judgment.

    There are some things about INFPs I see in myself, but I don't think this is me. Least not the majority of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tossing out your theory. I'm just not seeing it. Let me ask you something, did you say INFP because of my whole speech on the love of fantasy? Because outbursts (even in the internet) are rare for me.
    Thats good, thats the kind of reaction to reading type descriptions you want to pay attention to - thats basically how I feel about the INTJ description applied to me.

    INFP and INTJ do have more in common than one might think at first glance, so for the benefit of theory...

    INTJs and INFPs share cognitive funtions preferences for Te (extroverted thinking) and Fi (introverted feeling) but they have a different order of importance to each type. They differ on Ni (introverted intuition) vs Ne (extroverted intuition) and Se (extroverted sensing) vs Si (introverted sensing).

    INTJ - Ni>Te>Fi>Se
    INTP - Fi>Ne>Si>Te
    INFJ - Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
    INTP - Ti>Ne>Si>Fe
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Ask an INTJ
    By logan235711 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 870
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
  2. Faux INTJ Curious about Functions.
    By Frostshade in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
  3. [INTJ] INTJ's Introverted Feeling - Child (Puer/Puella)
    By Zhash in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
  4. [INTJ] INTJs and spelling
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
  5. [INTJ] INTJ: Lack of Concentration?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO