User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

human 101,

How do you fare with your family? Or used to? What are your hobbies, by the way?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    human 101,

How do you fare with your family? Or used to? What are your hobbies, by the way?
    My relationship with my mum used to be volatile, but it's now one of respectful indifference. I've never lived with my dad or much older siblings so don't really have a relationship with them. I make electronic music as a hobby and write.

human101, making friends can be difficult at times. I found that at university, study groups were one way to make new friends. Intramural sports are another good way. Also, any clubs and activities will help.

Just sharing an activity with someone creates a common reference point with that person. You can use that to then talk about a lot of different things.

Philosophy is an interesting major, and almost everyone is an armchair philosopher. Just be confident that there will be people who find the subject matter interesting.

Ask people next term if you could study or do homework with them. If you stick with a particular major, you are likely to see the same people over and over again. Everyone has to do homework and study, and many people are better doing that in a group. It is almost no extra effort, and I find that it is rare for people to refuse getting together for a study group (especially if you have a handful of people).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post
    My relationship with my mum used to be volatile, but it's now one of respectful indifference. I've never lived with my dad or much older siblings so don't really have a relationship with them. I make electronic music as a hobby and write.
    In line with what ygolo pointed out, you should by all means pursue joint activities. Do you have any group research or presentations in your classes? Then take the opportunity to get to know your colleagues. Is classroom teaching interactive? Then participate, and let your teachers and classmates know that you have a deep and lively interest, that helps with becoming a reference to others. Any clubs, fraternities around campus? Choose the most interesting one and try it out; people there should not be keen on driving you away, far from it. I urge you to do this, being in university without any kind of social life will not help your future, neither socially nor professionally. Don't be afraid, we're here for ya :-)