User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    The more I learn about personality types, the more certain I become of my INTJ-ness. Everything fits.
    Dear "Duke of York",

This is a classic mistake. You want to persuade yourself you're an INTJ because, for a reason or another, you perceive them as the ideal type.
    But you know, no one can be sure of its own type unless he checked different point of views, not only what our Ego say or want.

"How we want to be", is not the same as "How we really are".

Most MBTI tests show us only how we want to be, and just as Haphazard pointed, once your MBTI innocence is gone, it's easy to be in self-denial.

You know, I'm telling you this because I made the same mistake, and because several other people did. I wanted to be an ENFP, but when I listened other points of views (those of my friends, for instance), I realized some points wouldn't fit. Wandering and Sciski noticed the same trend, and my first reaction was not to understand what they were trying to say. But after a while, I realized they might be right after all.

That's what you need: other points of views.

So be wise for a change and listen.

---

Let's be brutally honest. I've checked many times the INTJ forum, and the least I can say is that you always were the odd one. You didn't look at all like other so-called INTJs:

You are very emotional, INTJ's aren't.
    You are very egocentric and irrational. INTJs aren't.
    You are very religious. The vast majority of INTJs aren't.
    You take every criticism as a personal offense. Most INTJs don't care.

Compared to the average INTJ, you were unable to understand or notice flawed logic, and you never were aware how easy it was to emotionally manipulate you, since most of your answers simply were out of any proportions, out of context.

---

I don't know your type. I'd say ISFJ but I could be wrong.
    But what I know, is that pretending to be another type than our real one is pointless, and dangerous. Especially when every evidences are against that possibility.

There are no better type than the other. No type is inherently superior. But I'd say being an healthy ISFJ, an ISFJ who knows who he really is, is far better than being a very dysfunctional INTJ.

I know you want to be a "panther", the smartest, the coolest, the most dangerous, but that's only a idealized self-portrait.

As for myself, there are many points I don't like with the idea of being an ENTP. I know my flaws, it's always difficult to accept them. But at least, I now know what demons I have to fight.

"Know thyself" -Socrates
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Analyse your actions/reactions/emotions, look in the mirror and observe others.. then correct your subconscious processes so you become what you'd like on a conscious level.
    I have recently become preoccupied with this line of reasoning. Yet, despite some academic knowledge of pop psychology and some cursory knowledge of cognitive science, I am at a loss as to where I might begin.

For one, how does one identify and isolate elements of one's psyche which one wishes to change? "Cognitive distortions" seem easy enough, but they are only one small example in the set of undesirable behavior. "Cognitive dissonance" appears promising but not well defined. To what extent are such things genetic versus habitual (or both)? Should we avoid 'changing' certain traits regardless of their apparent undesirability? (e.g. acquiescing to peer pressure despite abdicating our own identities?)

Second, how does one go about "correcting your subconscious processes"? This seems easier said than done, with no consistently effective method.

Lastly, how may we definitively answer the question "which problems that I face are caused by other people rather than myself?" How can we definitively know whether we are correctly or incorrectly displacing blame for our own problems to other people?

If anyone has any thoughts (or references!) on how an all too intellectual INTJ may explore and/or accomplish these aims, I would be greatly abliged.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Dear "Duke of York"...
    Aw Blackmail! I was rather looking forward to this thread turning into irrelevant crap.

While we're at it, I've always wan't to be an SF - rolling in the hay with a pretty girl and a bottle of brandy. Please!?

Beats all this NT shit any day of the week I reckon.

Prost!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    While we're at it, I've always wan't to be an SF - rolling in the hay with a pretty girl and a bottle of brandy. Please!?

Beats all this NT shit any day of the week I reckon.

Prost!
    Let's face it, being an NT sucks. If I had my choice, I'd pick ISTP. Lol.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Let's face it, being an NT sucks. If I had my choice, I'd pick ISTP. Lol.
    Why would you want to be a hired killer? An assassin!

Look in your heart, Tommy! [A picture of a kipper to anyone who can name the film. No googling].

Edit: I'm beginning to like it here
    Last edited by matmos; 04-19-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Fun!

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    With all due respect, perhaps its YOU that is the problem?
    I didn't suggest otherwise. My philosophy is it takes two to tango.

INTJs are just as single-minded, dismissive, stubborn, unyielding, relentless, and defensive as INFJs. The difference being INFJs value integrity and INTJs value competency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Why would you want to be a hired killer? An assassin!

Look in your heart, Tommy!
    But... but it just looks like so much fun!

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But... but it just looks like so much fun!
    That's not us Tom! I'm praying to you.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I didn't suggest otherwise. My philosophy is it takes two to tango.
    Agreed.

---

Some INTJs are just like you described them, I would not contradict you, I've meet some.
    But many others aren't, are wonderful and fascinating people.

Within every types, you can expect the best and the worst (and the latter is especially true if they take their roles very seriously).

Look for instance at the ENTJs. They are considered as the most agressive, bossy, dreadful type. And yet one of the ENTJs here (->htb) is one of the most interesting, calm and clever poster.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Dear "Duke of York"...
    Compared to the average INTJ, you were unable to understand or notice flawed logic,
    Example of flawed logic:

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    ...This thread is to further the positive interaction between INTJ's and other types, not to close off the INTJ's. If we wanted that, we would just head back to our own forum.
    Think about it while you browse MBTI Central. Surely I don't have to spell it out.
    Okay I will - the forum does this fine; why have a dedicated thread?