• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] The rebuttal

CCCXXIX

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So I was thinking about it, and it must be really frustrating for other types to have to deal with people like me. My smartass retorts are many and near between.

I was at my parents over thanksgiving, and we were all sitting down for dinner... My little brother, who is in high school, was looking a little upset. So I turned to him and said
Me: "You feeling ok?"
Brother: "......"
Me: "You feeling pretty gay huh?"
Mom: "HEY! None of that type of language at my table"
Me: "That word has multiple meanings, and you can't be sure as to which one I was referring."
Mom: **sour face

Any of you relate to this type of behavior?

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
No. And that wasn't funny, either.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe your relatives have ben handling you with kid gloves?
That wasn't a very nice thing to say to your Brother, or your Mother.
Did you apologize to either?
Perhaps you're young, full of yourself, and have no tact?
Seriously.
If this is thee case, don't worry, life will filter it out of you as you get bashed up from day to day, year to year.
You'll be more humble in time, or even sooner if you shoose to do so of your own will and accord.

Thoughts?

-Alex

crack

Seriously.
If this is thee case, don't worry, life will filter it out of you as you get bashed up from day to day, year to year.
You'll be more humble in time, or even sooner if you shoose to do so of your own will and accord.

Thoughts?

-Alex
I truly did not know it was possible to be nice at the same time as being harshly mean. What the hell just happened to my world?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I was thinking about it, and it must be really frustrating for other types to have to deal with people like me. My smartass retorts are many and near between.

I was at my parents over thanksgiving, and we were all sitting down for dinner... My little brother, who is in high school, was looking a little upset. So I turned to him and said
Me: "That word has multiple meanings, and you can't be sure as to which one I was referring."

I am tempted to act smartass a lot of time as well, but you have to understand that once people aren't appreciating it, you are crossing the line between smartass and asshole. The right people, in the right situations, are gonna find it hilarious, but you are doing it wrong. Once you get a bad feedback it is no longer fun. :nono:

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Was it suppose to be? Damn my bad

Oh, I have no idea whether it was or not, but it looked like you were either trying to be funny or clever, and it was neither. I don't know why you'd bother saying something like that otherwise.

CCCXXIX

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Seriously.

Thoughts?

-Alex

I act differently with my family than outside my house (for example that retort was suppose to be entertainment for my little brother, he laughed and was in a lot more lighthearted mood afterwords). I'm in my 20s. Idk that was just the example that was on my mind. Wasn't really trying to be funny or anything was really actually just curious... I am humble, my humor lies within arrogance (depending on who I'm with) I guess. I don't get bashed from day to day, or year to year (in your sense of the word). I use to be what you describe on the outside (never on the inside), but that was back when I was still in school, I have modified it for the workplace.

edit: the only reason i developed into a smart ass in school was because of bullies. Not to protect myself (I wasn't exactly the person bullies would mess with), but because I didn't like the bigger kids thinking they could pick on the smaller kids. So whenever someone picked on a "nerd", "band geek", or "unpopular" kid, I'd step in with some smart ass comment and that'd be the end of it. I was a late bloomer and knew what it was like to be picked on.

I appreciate your post more than the others (very direct and to the point), thank you.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I act differently with my family than outside my house (for example that retort was suppose to be entertainment for my little brother, he laughed and was in a lot more lighthearted mood afterwords). I'm in my 20s. Idk that was just the example that was on my mind. Wasn't really trying to be funny or anything was really actually just curious...

OK, if you say so, but asking your little brother if he is potentially gay or not doesn't seem like lighthearted conversation to me, especially at Thanksgiving dinner.
Just sayin'.

I am humble, my humor lies within arrogance (depending on who I'm with) I guess. I don't get bashed from day to day, or year to year (in your sense of the word). I use to be what you describe on the outside (never on the inside), but that was back when I was still in school, I have modified it for the workplace.

Pride comes before the fall.
Only the penitent man shall pass.
Tis' best to err on the side of traveling the high road, than to be perceived an asshole, IMHO.
BUT - don't ever take shit. EVER.
It's a fine balance to walk the line of, but it is very clear once you figure out your own motivations and how they can be realized without compromising the well being of others.

edit: the only reason i developed into a smart ass in school was because of bullies. Not to protect myself (I wasn't exactly the person bullies would mess with), but because I didn't like the bigger kids thinking they could pick on the smaller kids. So whenever someone picked on a "nerd", "band geek", or "unpopular" kid, I'd step in with some smart ass comment and that'd be the end of it. I was a late bloomer and knew what it was like to be picked on.

I moved every two years during my entire childhood.
I know what you experienced.
I am not the most amenable person, I assure you.
I detest bullies.
I too whipped their asses when I was younger, sheerly for the principle of doing so.
BUT - I was never an asshole to those who didn't deserve it, especially my family, or dear friends.
There is a clear difference between the two, don't you think?

I appreciate your post more than the others (very direct and to the point), thank you.

You're welcome.
Thank you for recognizing as such.
I wrote nothing here to be nasty or snide.
You asked a question.
I answered.
And here we are.
So, what are your plans for further self actualization?
Are you sartisfied with your interpersonal relationships or is there something lacking?
If so, what, and why?

:solidarity:

-Alex

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
edit: the only reason i developed into a smart ass in school was because of bullies. Not to protect myself (I wasn't exactly the person bullies would mess with), but because I didn't like the bigger kids thinking they could pick on the smaller kids. So whenever someone picked on a "nerd", "band geek", or "unpopular" kid, I'd step in with some smart ass comment and that'd be the end of it. I was a late bloomer and knew what it was like to be picked on..

I can understand that.

More a matter of determining of when to use that strategy.

Against bullies and people out to trample you? Good to go.
Against family and loved ones? Meh, not so good.

It's more a matter of having various tools in your "relating" toolbox, and knowing when to use which. Life isn't a "one-size-fits-all" scenario.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

Don't hide behind type and the masses to justify what you know to be wrong.

Use your type to discover yourself and improve yourself. Nothing else. Yes, your post was founded in nothing more than curiosity but this is an error hundreds have made before. You discover the type system and it looks to be the blueprint of you - the good, the bad, and the beautiful. The good makes you proud, the beautiful makes you happy. The bad you ignore because its in your blueprint and because everyone in your type does it. I'm here to tell you that this is not a valid reason for being bad. I use the tool to highlight my bad and make it better. Try it.

Plus what Halla said.

GatoLoco

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I relate to the behavior, but do not relate to the methodology.

I believe ENTJs can be fond of clever, witty quips but I've always tried to hone them to be positive, humorous or otherwise thought provoking.

If it makes a person smile, laugh or circle back in thought to think deeper about something, then it's satisfying. If it makes someone frustrated, angry or pull inwards, then I've failed miserably.