User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: INTJ breakdown

MBTI
    ?N?P

The INTJs I have known (and there have been admittedly few of them) have not blown up ever. It seems like INTJs just don't blow up. They act as if. If they want to be happy, they act as if. If they want to be confident, they act as if. The few feelings they have are eaten and it would take an enormous amount for them to be overwhelmed by their feelings. I could see them dying of cancer at an early age or maybe becoming a serial killer, but not blowing up.

I don't think they ever completely crack. I think they may fracture, sometimes extremely, compartmentalize, push forward, heal and/or push the stressors out of their mind and move on.

MBTI
    JIxT

When I was less mature (age 9). I had something that came close to a breakdown. My parents were arguing about something utterly meaningless and it was rapidly escalating. I, with my horrible social skills, went in and just told them to stop, but my mom roughly shoved me away. It felt terrible and as I got back to work, I started tearing barely knowing why. Possibly the most irrational thing I ever done, I assume it was a breakout of Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Generally INTJs (The seriously competitive ones) generally explode at some point, generally its the first relationship that pretty much does it, or any other situation where infinite logic and thought still will not remedy the situation.

You've basically pinpointed one of the two most serious problems in my life . How would i be able to come to terms with all of the undesirable emotions that I'm throwing at myself? Like I've totally accepted the fact that its over and done with, but there are still a lots of unnecessary residual negative feelings that don't seem to want to go away. I can't seem to get the entire last month, when shit fell apart, out of my mind. The pain associated with every memory just hits me at the oddest of moments and it's kind of unbearable.

To answer the actual concern of the thread, I had a mild breakdown in high school. It was induced by a few too many all-nighters, hating art class (the only class I ever liked up till that year), and my dad having a serious alcohol problem. Just a lot of hatred towards my dad and my teacher for making my life uncontrollably miserable. I basically just dropped out of every extra curricular activity in school, quit karate, quit my job, and slept a lot. I still managed to maintain a high GPA, but it was really the only thing i had enough energy to push myself to do. During this time, there would be a lot of crying, and with no one to talk to, I basically had to have a lot of conversations with myself. I was afraid I was going mental. I finally saw a psychiatrist and things started looking up.

MBTI
    INTJ

Uh, I don't think I've had a "breakdown", but I have gotten really annoyed and depressed. I isolated myself and cried a lil', I don't know if it counts. I imagine it wouldn't be fun, as I do not anger easily.
    What a waste of life..

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    To finish off that quote: "Or engaging in pointless acts of honor, like maintaining super-self-control or "doing one's duty" or going down with the ship. Nothing is gained by going down with the ship; it's a hyper-introverted act aimed at providing a rationalization for one's goodness without regard to real-world consequences. "

Yikes. Something happened at work last week. I found out that one of the bosses at work rigged a contest and I (and many others) were unwitting participants in the scheme. They made a huge production out of it, and the prize was not unsubstantial. We found out a few days later and I was immediately PISSED. I stewed on it for a few days and finally decided I was going to bring it up in front of everyone at the next company staff meeting (tomorrow). (Yes there is proof that it was rigged so I'm not accusing unjustly).

Most likely I'll lose my job... but I feel obligated to say my piece. Every time I think about it I get so angry I start to shake and end up in the kind of 'simmering rage' just waiting to be unleashed. What they did was wrong, and there can't be any justification they can give me to make it OK. So now I am on a quest to confront one of the company owners/boss and demand the truth... and I want it done in front of everyone. I'll probably regret it when I'm jobless and homeless.

I read the post below and all I could do was nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Attack an INTJs fundamental values and you are in for a hell of a fight. That is going straight for their weak Fi by which they reason the ethics of their ideologies and all the choices they make in their day to day lives. Argue that their values are distorted or wrong and it's like kicking at the supporting beam of all their reasoning and beliefs. You manage to shake it for one second, make them doubt the basis by which they have built all their beliefs, and the reaction could only be described as "snapping". All the emotion that an INTJ would normally control from influencing their thinking, is suddenly released, often in a very vicious and malevolent way.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    To finish off that quote: "Or engaging in pointless acts of honor, like maintaining super-self-control or "doing one's duty" or going down with the ship. Nothing is gained by going down with the ship; it's a hyper-introverted act aimed at providing a rationalization for one's goodness without regard to real-world consequences. "

Yikes. Something happened at work last week. I found out that one of the bosses at work rigged a contest and I (and many others) were unwitting participants in the scheme. They made a huge production out of it, and the prize was not unsubstantial. We found out a few days later and I was immediately PISSED. I stewed on it for a few days and finally decided I was going to bring it up in front of everyone at the next company staff meeting (tomorrow). (Yes there is proof that it was rigged so I'm not accusing unjustly).

Most likely I'll lose my job... but I feel obligated to say my piece. Every time I think about it I get so angry I start to shake and end up in the kind of 'simmering rage' just waiting to be unleashed. What they did was wrong, and there can't be any justification they can give me to make it OK. So now I am on a quest to confront one of the company owners/boss and demand the truth... and I want it done in front of everyone. I'll probably regret it when I'm jobless and homeless.

It's the only thing you can do, though.

MBTI
    INTJ

I flip my shit about once a year (i.e. yell uncontrollably at someone for about 3 minutes).

But then I regain my composure ~5 min later and regret flipping out.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think an INTJ "breaking down" depends heavily on the environment that she/he is in. When I was young I used to get into malicious arguments with my parents all the time. They were ISFP and ESFJ. I perceived everything they did as an attempt to control and socialize me. This pissed me off like you would not believe.

However, when I am at work, I am always in control. I am in a position of authority where people listen to what I have to say. My coworkers always value my input and frequently ask me for advice. Rarely do coworkers disagree with a method or course of action I propose. My ideas always seem to make sense in the workplace, regardless of how it finally materializes.

When I am in control, I feel good. When I am not in control, I still feel good about to trying to leverage the situation back into my control. It is when someone or something encroaches my personal space that I feel threatened and negatively charged, to the point of effusiveness.

INTJs aren't the only ones threatened by lack of control. It should be noted from basic psychology that lack of predictability and control in any situation raises the stress level and pushes the threshold of any individual regardless of temperament. However, I would conjecture that the INTJ temperament is especially fragile in this regard.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post

I read the post below and all I could do was nod.
    Let me know how it goes, but personally I wouldn't do anything that will put my job in danger unless I am assured of another one.

I dont know for other types but for entj not having a job is like one of the most demoralizing thing ever.

Well maybe I should say not making money.