User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: INTJ breakdown

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    I cracked once. It was after 35+ hours of no sleep, thinking I was having heart trouble/breathing problems, and my roommates were gone for the weekend so I was all alone.

It was nothing spectacular, I just walked around the house bursting into tears for no reason...which is not something I've ever done. It was strange and disturbing.
    Chuckles. I love it when people underplay breakdowns. It always reminds me of the scene in Dr Strangelove:

Gen. Ripper: Were you ever tortured, Group Captain?
    Mandrake: Oh, just a bit, Jack.

Edit 2: One of the keepers at John Aspinall's wildlife range had his hand bitten off by a lion. When asked on his hospital bed how he felt he replied that the whole incident "had rather spoiled" his morning.

Classic!

Edit: It usually is spectacular, your just too good at quantifying the experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Chuckles. I love it when people underplay breakdowns. It always reminds me of the scene in Dr Strangelove:

Gen. Ripper: Were you ever tortured, Group Captain?
    Mandrake: Oh, just a bit, Jack.

Edit 2: One of the keepers at John Aspinall's wildlife range had his hand bitten off by a lion. When asked on his hospital bed how he felt he replied that the whole incident "had rather spoiled" his morning.

Classic!

Edit: It usually is spectacular, your just too good at quantifying the experience.
    Well, I mean it wasn't spectacular when you think of the insane things that tend to happen when people have breakdowns. Being unreasonably emotional ISN'T spectacular when I could've, say, run screaming down my street, carjacked a passing motorist and crashed the car into the nearest 7/11......or something. Yeah.

Fun examples, by the way. I've said stuff like that before.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    ...It was after 35+ hours of no sleep...
    Now that I think about it, both of mine were after some period of sleeplessness coupled with emotional things on top of helplessness and firm expectations that exploited me.

Really, the best solution would have been for me to go with my first inclination in both cases and leave the people that treated me like that to deal with things on their own.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    the principles that Fi holds differ much more among people than those of Ti. in that sense, Fi is more individualistic...

two INFPs will disagree much more often than two INTPs will.
    Fi is more subjective indeed, yet this has little to do with being individualistic.

In order for one to be individualistic, one must have principles that embrace individualism. Simply differing from others isnt sufficient. Fi will be forced to erect principles which will seek out common ground with others. This is the case because of their need for emotional support and harmony with others. Therefore the principles they will have to establish much conduce to harmony with others.

The principles of INTPs will be more objective because they rely on logic to establish them. However, the INTPs will not need to have their principles incorporate harmony with others.

INFPs by and large tend to value first and foremost harmony with themselves, harmony with others, and their own personal growth. (Usually becoming most humane and compassionate as possible)

This is the general set of INFP values. Yet individual INFPs will likely disagree on the nuances of what harmony with self and others or true compassion is. However, despite this, in their own subjective ways, which often differ very much from the ways of people who surround them, the INFPs will adjust their principles to be in harmony with others.(I think that almost all INFPs value compassion, they may disagree about the specifics of such a virtue, yet they should all agree about the core. I highly doubt that we will find many INFPs whose notion of compassion involves shadenfreude or sadism. INFPs tend to have the set of values I've described because of their strong Feeling nature which insists on personal sympathy) This therefore detracts from their individualism as the aforementioned is a collectivistic endeavor.

In condensed form: Despite the radically subjective approach to values and that INFPs will be more likely to disagree on what compassion is than INTPs would be more likely to disagree on what autonomy is, INFPs will strive to be in harmony with other INFPs that they may disagree with. Generally the Fi approach has no desire to force values on others, but it very much does want to be at peace with them. The INFP tends to accept people for who they are irrespectively of how different or disagreeable from them such people may be. The case in point for this is how John Milton romanticized Satan in the Paradise Lost and how Dostoevsky's Alyosha Karamazov loved the rogue Dmitriy and the narrator noted that he never had anything sinister to say about anyone. Not even about the most disreputable of individuals, the more wicked a person was, the more he loved him.

An example even closer to home is the behavior of INFPs on INFPgc where they have a difficult time condemning even murder. Any kind of negative 'judging' of other people, no matter how nefarious they may be is strongly discouraged.

Such things show that subjectivity which leads to disagreement does not at all get in the way of harmony.

In the end I stand by my thesis that the INFP is less individualistic than the INTP because they have to concoct principles which will allow for them to be at harmony with others, INTPs do not.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I've been doing some reading (as usual) and now I'm curious.

What makes an INTJ crack? Don't tell me they can't because I know they have to be able to. What's an INTJ like when they've finally lost it? They love control and they would never want to show weakness like this, so it's my guess that when one finally does crack in the presence of others, the resulting breakdown is quite spectacular. What are the warning signs, and what can they do to prevent breakdown?

This is for my understanding, only. I'm not trying to drive an INTJ to insanity and then submission with this information, it's to settle my curiosity.

Thanks.
    Generally INTJs (The seriously competitive ones) generally explode at some point, generally its the first relationship that pretty much does it, or any other situation where infinite logic and thought still will not remedy the situation.

INTJs that don't learn from this (and be a bit more like flotsam on the waves) often repeat the cycle. Or go supernova.

MBTI
    INFJ

A female INTJ friend of mine, driven to despair by the death of her dog killed in a car accident, insisted that her husband drive her to Animal Control in the middle of the night so she could leave a note for the already deceased dog, apologizing for not taking better care of him.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Dangerous question

Post-traumatic stress disorder will do it, if severe enough. I speak from experience.
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENFJ

I remember when I thought I was going to be expelled...

I barely moved, I barely ate, and that went on for about four days. Every time I stood up I thought I was going to throw up. I was so sure that they were going to expel me and throw away my future without giving me a second chance.

But you know, looking back on it, it doesn't look like so much. :P

MBTI
    INTJ

I've had a few breakdowns.... though I'm using the word liberally. I wouldn't really consider any of them an actual breakdown. It's usually not incredibly devastating, and picking up the pieces isn't that hard, afterwards... but it can be very intense while it lasts!

I've been frustrated to tears or angry outbursts... but they're not terribly common. My repressed feelings also usually find some way out, before reaching critical pressure... so it's usually not incredibly devastating, when the dam breaks. I wouldn't classify them as "spectacular", but only because spectacular implies some sort of art behind it's presentation. Mine are more "spectacular" in an ugly and artless way. It's sort of like a train-wreck. It's horrible, yet you can't help but watch it, sitting at the edge of your seat...

For me, it's mostly how others describe. I get incredibly reckless, I generally just stop caring, and I engage in mindlessly sensate activities to escape myself or numb my consciousness.

MBTI
    INTJ

When I have a passive breakdown, I usually get really silent and morbid, not saying a word. I'll be sitting in one place forever, ruminating on something and never focusing on more pressing things.

I've only had one explosive breakdown. I yelled a lot, and nothing else. It was also a long time coming, as I had kept in a lot of frustration over (something) for a while.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.