User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    abcd

Default Shy ENTPs out there?

Can ENTPs mistype themselves as INTP because of shyness/withdrawn with strangers or not-well-known people, but really talkative with close people?
    And can ENTPs stay alone a lot of time enjoing their many interests in solitude?

I can be shy sometimes, sure, but I think it goes hand-in-hand with some kind of problem with my mental/emotional state. Like last year, I battled pretty extensively with depression and I'd say I was quite reserved during that time.

Normally, though, I'm pretty outgoing with anyone and everyone. Doesn't mean I prefer any social interaction over solitude, though. I highly value my one-and-one time with my intellectual pursuits and will happily put that on hold for a good verbal sparring, a good joke, or quality time with people I get along with.

Anything else...I could take it or leave it and be unaffected.

MBTI
    xNxx

Quiet and introspective, but not shy. Not really.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Can ENTPs mistype themselves as INTP because of shyness/withdrawn with strangers or not-well-known people, but really talkative with close people?
    And can ENTPs stay alone a lot of time enjoing their many interests in solitude?
    I think ENTPs can be. My most recent ex had kind of the shy ENTP thing going at first because relationships are out of his realm of knowledge really. But then the more I got to know him the louder it got.

He also wasn't much of a people person, and he tended to view extraversion/introversion in regards to that. Whereas I think in the context of MBTI it's more of an energy question.

I have another ENTP friend who thinks he is an introvert and he is about as extraverted as you can get. It's really quite funny to see him attempt to argue his way out of that one.

It's possible that you could be more on the cusp of the I or the E and therefore are having some issues pinpointing your type down. Have you looked much into the cognitive functions? Just to see if you feel you are more Ne first and then Ti as a backup or Ti first with Ne as a backup.

A window to the soul

I mistyped myself as an INTP. For a long time, I thought I was introverted. I finally compared myself to the real introverts and studied the functions.

Yes, I am really talkative with close people.

As far as strangers go, it depends on the stranger and the setting. I'm not afraid to talk to strangers when I've got a reason. I don't know what it is about some public settings, but I feel vulnerable standing around talking to strangers sometimes; like when I'm pumping gas and a stranger walks up making conversation.

And can ENTPs stay alone a lot of time enjoying their many interests in solitude?
    Sometimes I like solitude, but I also like company in the background. When I'm working on a project, I like the sights and sounds of life around me. In case I blow something up or I need help, someone has my back!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Key words:

shyness/withdrawn with strangers
    talkative with close people
    Extroverts are stimulated by the outside world, and new interactions with people are invigorating. Yes, you can be a shy extrovert. But this would mean that you would have an unquenchable "itch" to go out and interact with people, and yet that "itch" would be a source of anxiety/fear since satisfying your urge to communicate would entail problems causing your shyness (whether it may be social anxiety, stuttering, feeling like an outcast in a conversation, etc...).

Being a shy extrovert is like a caged eagle. You were meant to fly, but there is steel trapwork around the perimeter preventing you from doing so. This can lead to major disorders such as depression, more anxiety, and fatigue.

Your mention of being comfortable with communication in a familiar "close friend" type of setting leads me to believe you are on the introverted scale. Less is more for an introvert. More people is never enough for an extrovert.

ENTPs are probably one of the most extroverted types. If a magic genie purges away all of the specific issues causing your shyness, could you picture yourself being out there and genuinely enjoying yourself with a crowd? Or vice versa?

There is always some sort of "noise" in one's persona that could distort an accurate typological assessment, whether it may be logistical (you were born and reside in some weird farmtown in Oklahoma with no people around to meet), medical (head trauma causing mental disorders), or psychological (social phobia). Removing the noise reveals the true you.

Do you enjoy your interests in solitude because its the next best thing after going out? Or do you just enjoy the serenity of solitude because it feels natural?

I guess the real question is: Why are you shy? ... Lack of confidence? Lack of people skills? Fear of the unknown? Fear of rejection? Lack of a sense of humor (too dry, stern, and generic sounding)?

Again, think of the eagle scenario. Do you have a natural urge to interact with the outer world, yet refrain due to the foregoing traits (or lack thereof)? Or do you feel 100% at peace with your activities in solitude, yet feel as if there is some kind of "void" in a facet of your life (sociability)?
    got chaos?

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Amen to this. Quiet and introspective at times it is .

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Ya.

Shyness is not restricted to introverts though, and many ENTPs mistype as INTPs because of their ability to be withdrawn or introspective etc.

MBTI
    entp

E doesn't mean centre of attention or being actively socializing or networking. It implies a preference to be around people for the sake of it - feeling good when there are people around.

I doesn't mean being shy or hesitant or bad with people. It means wanting to be by yourself - it means that you have to take a nap after hanging out with people all day.

MBTI
    abcd

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    Being a shy extrovert is like a caged eagle. You were meant to fly, but there is steel trapwork around the perimeter preventing you from doing so. This can lead to major disorders such as depression, more anxiety, and fatigue.
    It's the way I feel sometimes and I experience mild depression, anxiety and fatigue.

If a magic genie purges away all of the specific issues causing your shyness, could you picture yourself being out there and genuinely enjoying yourself with a crowd?
    I'd not be a party animal, but my social life could be very better.

Do you enjoy your interests in solitude because its the next best thing after going out? Or do you just enjoy the serenity of solitude because it feels natural?
    There are a lot of things I like doing alone, such as reading, watching movies, surfing the web, listening music, alone at home. But if one of my friends suggest me a dinner with friends I am happy to go.

I guess the real question is: Why are you shy? ... Lack of confidence? Lack of people skills? Fear of the unknown? Fear of rejection? Lack of a sense of humor (too dry, stern, and generic sounding)?
    Mainly fear of rejection and fear of being embarrassed appearing not intelligent, not brilliant etc...

Again, think of the eagle scenario. Do you have a natural urge to interact with the outer world, yet refrain due to the foregoing traits (or lack thereof)? Or do you feel 100% at peace with your activities in solitude, yet feel as if there is some kind of "void" in a facet of your life (sociability)?
    If I stay alone for an entire day, then I need people, maybe not a strong interaction, but at least to observe, to be with, or I become anxious.
    Otherwise, If I interact with prople too much I become tired.

Thanks to all.