User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    Extroverts are stimulated by the outside world, and new interactions with people are invigorating. Yes, you can be a shy extrovert. But this would mean that you would have an unquenchable "itch" to go out and interact with people, and yet that "itch" would be a source of anxiety/fear since satisfying your urge to communicate would entail problems causing your shyness (whether it may be social anxiety, stuttering, feeling like an outcast in a conversation, etc...).

Being a shy extrovert is like a caged eagle. You were meant to fly, but there is steel trapwork around the perimeter preventing you from doing so. This can lead to major disorders such as depression, more anxiety, and fatigue.
    This! I was pretty much exactly like this when I was younger. I'm known for being very extroverted and social now, and I'm much happier socially. I still sometimes get kind of sad and lonely though... But yeah... a shy ENTP is a very, very sad ENTP.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Can ENTPs mistype themselves as INTP because of shyness/withdrawn with strangers or not-well-known people, but really talkative with close people?
    And can ENTPs stay alone a lot of time enjoing their many interests in solitude?
    Yes to both questions.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

A window to the soul

Someone sent me a rep asking me what finally convinced me I was 'E'. On a normal day, my desire to do the following over-powers my desire for self-preservation:

• interact
    • bounce ideas off of people
    • state the facts, correct an error
    • ask a question, collect the facts, problem solve
    • argue, sometimes for the sake of argument
    • team work!

I like people. (:

MBTI
    entp

E, dear person, at the very fundamental level is you gaining energy from the casual interaction of people around you. Then as you proceed to get familiar with social norms, you tend to become a master at these. This doesn't imply you always were a master at it. Since social interaction a learned skill, the shyness you talk about is also a learned skill and thus has little to do with E/I. In fact, the world's reward system requires that I-people be good at social interactions and the uber Es tone it down to give their tertiary function a chance to develop (a phenomenon seen as 'maturity' in the everyday world).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

I think I've been mistyped INTP.

I was typed INTP about 10 yrs ago and again only a few months ago. But following my marriage breakdown about 2 yrs ago, I saw a psychologist to prepare myself for the road ahead and, after a few chats, he thought I might have Social Anxiety Disorder.

Symptoms I exhibited included:

• a constant fear of being scrutinised
    • ruminating
    • sweating
    • Being conscious of the way I walk

At that time, I had NEVER, gone up to a girl in a bar and said "Hi"!!!! And I hated using the phone.

Having read the profile of ENTP, I suspect that I DO have Social Anxiety Disorder and that it has caused me to be mistyped as INTP.

Why do I think that?

I enjoy going to parties, even though I fear them. More often that not, I'm in the final group to leave.
    I have never had a problem talking one-on-one with a total stranger for hours at a time - as long as they are the one who says "hi" first.
    I like to brainstorm with others
    I'm a bit of an exhibitionist when in the company of people I know
    I love playing devil's advocate
    I enjoy presenting...as long as I know my subject matter well.

And since I've been out on my own, I've become very comfortable with the phone thanks to internet dating - my first phone calls with girls I'd never met went for 45 mins. My most recent one went for 2 hrs!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

There are degrees of shyness - some people feel threatened by more situations than others. Shyness can exist in extroverts but it is in conflict with their preferred way of being. The need to gain energy from other people leads to repeated exposure to threatening situations and, in many situations (particularly where shyness is mild) the shyness will be dissipated, perhaps even eradicated. If the shyness is approaching strong Social Anxiety Disorder, I believe even the extrovert may not be willing to try the exposure path and may, therefore, type as an I.

Shyness sits harmoniously with the Introvert's preferred way of being because he/she gets his/her energy from within and, therefore, the Introvert may have no significant need or desire to overcome the shyness.

Statistically, there are significantly more shy introverts than there are shy extroverts leading to the misinformed believing that shyness = introversion. However, even if we assume that a introverted child is no more likely to be shy than an extroverted child, this statistical imbalance is likely to be due to the extroverts greater determination to overcome his/her shyness as he/she passes into and through adulthood.

All in my ignorant opinion

Hmmm... this has me wondering - is the "problem child" the shy extrovert battling with the conflict?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I sometimes wonder whether I am more extroverted or introverted. After a few hours of socializing, I want to leave, and I don't enjoy much small talk, but I do talk around people for a while and feel naturally charged by good conversations. In later years, I've spent more time in solitude. But after a few days alone, I'm brimming with energy and want to interact with others again.

Maybe I am an INTP with higher intuition or an ENTP who needs to escape after a while in social situations. I feel like I use my extroverted intuition much more than my introverted thinking, by absorbing information from the environment and finding possibilities. However, there's always that need to analyze everything, to dissect arguments, to clarify myself and find the underlying meaning to experiences.