12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default But It's Sooo Easy!

How many of you get irritated when you hear something like this? I know I do. I know that different people have different talents and skill sets but when I hear someone saying something is easy that I happen to find difficult, I feel like my own competency or intelligence is being insulted. I already know my shortcomings, I don't like having them rubbed in.

I want to know if other NTs get annoyed by this, as NTs are the temperament that tends to be most concerned with their level of competency or intelligence. Non-NTs are also welcome to respond.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    entp

Nope.

Unless its specifically aimed to make me look bad. Then I try to reason with the person for about 5 seconds before slamming to the ground - all verbal of course.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Doesn't really bother me, I catch myself being one of those people that say this though... When I'm the one being told its soo easy I ask for clarification and then use this knowledge to counter how it's not easy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    How many of you get irritated when you hear something like this? I know I do. I know that different people have different talents and skill sets but when I hear someone saying something is easy that I happen to find difficult, I feel like my own competency or intelligence is being insulted. I already know my shortcomings, I don't like having them rubbed in.

I want to know if other NTs get annoyed by this, as NTs are the temperament that tends to be most concerned with their level of competency or intelligence. Non-NTs are also welcome to respond.
    It's annoying. I like to throw it back at people who love to say it when it comes to something like an academic or technical issue they can't understand. But....it's SO easy, right? Yeah they shut up then.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

That type of comment blows up in people's faces more often than you would ever imagine.
    Personally, I love it when people say:

"How hard could it be?"

OR

"Oh, what's the worst that could happen?"

OR

"This will only take a few minutes."

Then hours upon hours of toil and humilation pass, and you are able to sneer from a safe distance "Boy, you sure as hell make that look easy. Good job!"

It's one thing to be very competent and capable.
    It's quite another to think that your knowledge and experience apply universally to all things, whether you have done them or not.
    Such is the commonplace folly of those with poor task estimation skills, or at worst, a bloated ego and a surplus of unwarranted confidence.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    yupp

makes me feel stupid and incompetent
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If they are my superiors I usually find it insulting. Our tasks are different, and superiors tend to think their job is harder than anyone else's .
    However, if we're on the same level, I'm probably gonna attempt to make it easy for myself too. It's like ''he finds it easy. why can't I make it easy for myself?''. And in the end, it works as a stimulus for me. I set my standards higher.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I think that's a poor way to help anyone who's finding something difficult, NT or not. I remember reading it in a parenting book when I was a kid (yeah, I liked to read parenting advice books as a kid...I found it fascinating). They recommended against telling a kid that say, their math homework is a snap. Parents sometimes do this to reassure their kids, but as a result they're likely to get easily frustrated if they don't find it so easy.

I don't think people mean to be condescending a lot of the time...often they're talking about something that does come very easy to them, and it's difficult for them to fathom someone struggling with it. They think if they could just show you what a breeze it is, you'd feel better and everything would be fine. Worst experience I had with this was an ENFP career adviser who gave me the "You MUST network!" talk. She was trying to be encouraging, but I got the impression that she's just naturally good at engaging people and assumed if she could just correct my misconceptions about what networking "really is", I'd realize how easy it was too. It really made me feel terrible. I had left her office intending to try what she'd suggested, but was never able to bring myself to do it.
    Last edited by Xenon; 11-13-2011 at 09:00 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Frustrates the @#!*% out of me. I always have to feel competent, so when I'm not, I get irrationally angry at people who are and feel the need to be condescending over it. It's like, "Screw you. You're cocky now, but if we were doing anything else I swear to God you'd be the one asking me for help."
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ENTP

It's very annoying. In high school, I was the smart one, so either I was the one being a pain and saying that, or I shot them down easily. Now, at college, I've often struggled with things, and I find it very annoying when someone refers to a class as trivial. Eh, here, almost everyone eventually finds their limit. One of my friends and I were discussing when people will hit their limit. Umm... the assumption here is that people will. In a way, this is nice, because all of the overconfident people get a bit of a kicking. On the other hand, so do the people who could use more confidence.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce