• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and existentialism

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I'm thinking that "frameworks" are an INTP forte, but it always have been rigidly defined by Ti (logic). I was wondering, did any of you INTP people here have used "frameworks" as a means of underlying concepts not normally encompassed by logic (e.g., feelings, spirituality), etc. I'm not necessarily implying coercing yourself to be sensitive or spiritual, but just applying the framework to understand such concepts.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting that you grouped feelings and spirituality. I would tend to agree that getting in touch with your feelings is a path to living a more "spiritual," i.e., more intimate, life. But you must use logic and observation to conclude that there's a difference between logical THINKING and simply being and experiencing. Logic is, therefore, a tool to realize its own futility in the quest for self-understanding and self-intimacy.

Awesome topic.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
"frameworks" as a means of underlying concepts not normally encompassed by logic (e.g., feelings, spirituality), etc.

Well, yes. When I was young. I had an explanation for almost everything, be it stupid and wrong. But nowadays, I try to incorporate some sort of logic in all my explanations.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm thinking that "frameworks" are an INTP forte, but it always have been rigidly defined by Ti (logic). I was wondering, did any of you INTP people here have used "frameworks" as a means of underlying concepts not normally encompassed by logic (e.g., feelings, spirituality), etc. I'm not necessarily implying coercing yourself to be sensitive or spiritual, but just applying the framework to understand such concepts.

Existentialist writers were mostly either INTJs or INFJs. The core of this school of thought is that we must embrace the meaninglessness of life and no longer contemplate this question further.

The Introverted Intuitive mind easily gravitates towards such ideas because the agenda of their primary function is very abstract. Yet their most relied upon judging function, which is either the auxiliary Extroverted Feeling or Extroverted Thinking is much too impoverished to fulfill the aforementioned agenda because it tends to utilize a rather superficial and conventional standard. Employment of tertiary Introverted Judgment is necessary to mitigate the issue. As this is the only faculty capably of properly assessing and bringing to a closure, the highly abstract vision of Introverted Intuition. The Introverted Intuitive type incurs great problems in this endeavor because his Introverted Judgment is often not strong enough to achieve this.

So to find their meaning in life, the Existentialists or the Introverted Intuitionists rely strictly on their Introverted Intuition. What results is a vision that we must simply embrace the abstract notion of meaninglessness, yet have such an intellectual conclusion inadvertently lead us to meaning in life.

This is so because Introverted Intuition gives insight not in a form of definite and intelligible terms, but in amorphous hunches which require a sound abstract thinking faculty, which is Introverted Judgment, to decipher.

INTPs do have such a faculty indeed, and for this reason their affinity with Existentialism tends to be low. The INTP by contrast will have a worldview where a very thorough and precise outlook on life is both possible and desirable which in turn will lead to much inner peace. If by their method this has not been achieved, often self-confessedly, for the very least, the INTP will lay down the groundwork for such an accomplishment or give us a reason to hope that this may be done. INTP spirituality is best represented in a lifestyle devoted to mollification of the mind through clarity and intensity of thought. Spinoza's Ethics is the most distinct artifact to represent this phenomenon, where we find a brilliantly argued thesis in favor of possibility of a system explaining the ebb and flow of the entire universe (where Einstein's famous dictum 'God does not play dice' had its birth), as well as that the other world, if it is to be reached at all, it is through profundity and intensity of thought. This is also represented in lives of Aristotle, Thoreau and Jung, these examples are inspiring and well known to the point where I could spare myself further elaboration.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess I prescribe to the "INTP worldview" as Bluewing describes it, just not in an immediately obvious way. I have some Existentialist views; I do think in the end that life has no absolute meaning and that it has meaning because our feelings say it does. I don't think that the question stops there either, though; I think some methods of living will yield higher collective happiness than others and that we should embrace protecting and serving these methods as life's purpose.