User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    This is something that came to my mind. Since the world is pretty much external and an individual's merits are often quantified my observable parameters (good academic grades, well-defined work metrics in a professional career, etc.), I'm thinking that these elements have a strong TJ inclination.

Uhmmm....study hard (Si - pretty much memory centric), make an output by doing computation or implement something (Te), envision an eventuality of things (Ne), making a decision out of this (J).

I'm envisioning an INTP life. We assess relationships of concepts (Ni), bind it with our Ti (logic) while using perception as P the catalyst of this process.

And when we realize things, INTPs thrive in the intangible things. In a world with obvious inclination to external merits of an individual, is being INTP an inherent thing or did it just become a gradual choice of evolution for some people who despised the TJ world or something.

Were there early cues in your life that may have showed an INTP trait?
    I'm pretty sure I was born an INTP. I didn't cry during my own birth, I began to go off on rants as early as preschool, I spent the majority of my elementary school years staring off into space and reading about things that interested me.
    yep, I was doomed from the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My hunch is that the estrogen quotient pushes women to personalize things; it's less the raw ability to do math, more that they are pushed by biology (and then by culture) into approaching things from a more humanist and less technical perspective. It is interesting to see highly technical women switch gears when they get back to the house and their kids are around.
    I read somewhere that the left hemisphere of the brain is developed based on the amount of testosterone introduced to you as a fetus and the right side of the brain was identically effected by estrogen.
    Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Se > Te > Fe

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    Woman are more Se and environment affected? Sounds accurate, but this is probably because of the culture they are born into having different expectations for a woman.
    Not more Se (Oh lordy, if you knew me), but more affected by environment because ultimately the environment is tougher on women than on men. The conformity forced upon them was probably initially to be 'productive,' so that they would be guaranteed to have children. Men were ultimately less important to this venture, so therefore the strictness doesn't have to be as enforced.

I'm inclined to say that it's a small majority of women that are Fs, and a small majority of men that are T. Just enough to make generalizations by, but not enough to do enough of the population justice.

And that's just terrible.

MBTI
    JIxT

Who is to say that personality cannot be affected by the environement?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Who is to say that personality cannot be affected by the environement?
    Oh, of course it can, but Se entails a very specific way of processing information, one that I don't think would even have the same effect you were talking about.

MBTI
    JIxT

Oh ok. lol. I need to do some more research.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh ok. lol. I need to do some more research.
    Se is understanding, reacting, and manipulating the immediate environment. I don't think that's what would make women conform the way that they have for most of history. If anything, I'd say that it's Si that would do that.

INTJs have inferior Se. It can cause them to become overwhelmed by immediacy and sorting out information from what's important in a situation and what's not.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The way you make decisions and interact with the world is constantly in flux. In MBTI, they're called "secondary and tertiary functions," but if you ask me, it's a bunch of bullshit. Sometimes you prefer consistency, sometimes you prefer harmony, sometimes you pay attention to ideas, sometimes just to sensations, etc, etc. Personality/temperament is always changing, therefore there is no such thing as "being INTP." Also, everyone knows there's no free will, so asking if there's a "choice" is complicated. Also, there is no ego, so there's no one to make that choice even if the possibility existed.

Edahn

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    The way you make decisions and interact with the world is constantly in flux. In MBTI, they're called "secondary and tertiary functions," but if you ask me, it's a bunch of bullshit. Sometimes you prefer consistency, sometimes you prefer harmony, sometimes you pay attention to ideas, sometimes just to sensations, etc, etc. Personality/temperament is always changing, therefore there is no such thing as "being INTP." Also, everyone knows there's no free will, so asking if there's a "choice" is complicated. Also, there is no ego, so there's no one to make that choice even if the possibility existed.

Edahn
    No free will? I wasn't aware of this. Please explain.

Also, though I respect your opinion, if this is your stance and theory that it's all bullshit, well, with all due respect, why the hell are you here?

MBTI
    JIxT

Just because you acknowledge that MBTI is empirically successful does not mean that you believe everything in it for fact. It is psychology. You cannot quantify psychology. I would not say it is bull, I would say that one can be classified under this type most of the time and would follow that type's expected response most of the time. I have no idea the rest of what Edahn is talking about.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No free will? I wasn't aware of this. Please explain.
    Explain free will.

I haven't fully worked out my proof yet, but the gist is, free will depends on there being something to "rise above" and outside of the causal chains that make up reality. Since there is no self, there is nothing to "rise up."

Also, though I respect your opinion, if this is your stance and theory that it's all bullshit, well, with all due respect, why the hell are you here?
    I didn't say it was ALL bullshit, I said there's a misunderstanding about its interpretation. Also, this site has sucked me in with other topics and friendships.