User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Non-machiavelian ENTP?

I just recalled an old INTP appreciation thread and Sub's comment about associating INTP with intelligence. It's helpful to find primary associations between subjects, but what more is there? He rightfully asked what other qualities there are with INTP in addition to intelligence. I think the thread eventually evolved to finding other qualities, too.

I've been partly proud, mostly sad for having ENTP seen as basically immoral but successful figures. Is there talk about someone obviously fake, a cheater, a con-artist? Hey there's the ENTP.

The hegemony on the subject is too great to endure.

So how does ENTP show the qualities of ENTP without cheating everyone?

Does the idea of a "giver" apply to ENTP as it does to ENFP, in our popular opinion?

Personally, I think I go a struggle between some "dark side" and a good one. I love the good feeling of being honest, lawful, direct and open. Then again, not everything I do is good for everyone to know. Some things I do in secret, but I think I'm extremely tuned in to the mores of the society, and find some clever ways to preserve them. I'm a moral guardian, moral libertarian, having some amalgam of morals from many sources. I think I'm good for the society.

I think my worst part is being a moral liberal by my word and a moral conservative by my actions. I keep good standards internally, but talk about carefree values to most others - perhaps to the detriment of everyone else. I can't be sure what kind of an effect I have. I do not know.

So, I'm an ENTP and low-mach. Should I consider myself as a normal ENTP or a speciality, the rare ENTP who doesn't betray and manipulate people with his devious plans?

What about other ENTPs who don't subscribe to the standard of a con-artist? Do we have anything within the MBTI to describe them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

The descriptions that says bad stuff about certain types are biased. I'm a fairly kind ENTJ. Really. Many bosses are ENTJ, and thus many people judge the whole type by the actions of a few. I once had an ENTJ boss, and that was one evil son of a bitch. If I could have, I would have unscrewed his head and shit down his throat

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Being immoral and successful is more like an ENTJ trait.

I see ENTP's as more like existentialists, as opposed to INTP being the rationalists.

MBTI
    INTP

I think all of us will have some issues with how our types are presented. Personally, I'm a little tired of people automatically assuming any "nerd" who comes up with all these freaky ideas is an INTP. A lot of INTPs are like that, but some skip the process of actually evaluating the person's attitudes and just say "nerd = INTP". I just think of how INTPs are positively portrayed; that we have changed the world with our groundbreaking ideas. I think while ENTPs can be portrayed as con artists, I think ENTPs are colorful, multi-interested people who have also changed the world with their groundbreaking ideas.

I never deceive or harm others for personal gain. If I have to lie, cheat, beg, or steal to get something, then I don't deserve it and I don't want it. I want to be proud of everything I do. I want to be able to tell people about it and show them how I did it and not have to worry about trying to cover anything up. (I do make mistakes but I have no problem admitting to them.) I want to set a good example. I'm probably not the most giving person in the world but I certainly do try to remain fair at all times. I'm not greedy or selfish, although I have no problem watching out for my own best interest. Most of what I plan to do with my life revolves around helping and inspiring other people. I am assertive because I believe it's a crime to let something unjust to happen to me. Not only does it slow me down, but it let's other people think they can get away with it. I have no enemies. When people push me, I push them back just as hard as I have to in order to make them understand that it's not happening again. If I show someone a boundary and they maliciously refuse to respect it, then, and only then, will I aim to crush them. I fight for what it is right, not for personal reasons, so once it's clear that I'm victorious, I will help them back up and probably become their friend or at least find mutual respect.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I honestly *never* heard ENTP = Machiavelian con-artist until I came to these forums. Can anyone provide a source for this? (Socionics doesn't count.)

Personally, I find con-artists abhorrent.

Supposedly there's some correlation between ENTP and Enneagram type 3s, so maybe that's where all this con-artist nonsense is coming from.

There are many contradictory statements about ENTPs when you compare some of the talk on these forums to the literature. For instance, one member (I won't name names) theorized that ENPs get their self-esteem from impressing other people, but Lenore Thompson writes of ENTPs:

... the type's disinterest in hierarchy and displays of status can result in a disarmingly direct and unpretentious style of relating. A shipping clerk who had been talking to a famous ENTP scientist in the hall of a major research center was amazed to find out who his conversational partner had been. "He didn't talk like he was important; he seemed like the kind of guy you'd go bowling with."

http://www.entp.org/discuss2/viewtop...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not a Machiavellian con-artist. I don't deceive people, and try my best to be as truthful and straightforward as possible. I don't cheat people either. I believe that doing so just makes your life unnecessarily complicated and comes back to bite you sooner or later.

Sure, I've managed to convince people of the most ludicrous things, I'm a good liar when necessary, and I'm also been very successfull at pulling off a variety of pranks. All done just for a few laughs. (Admittedly, some people don't find that very funny)

But I don't lie or cheat in general. I usually say exactly what I'm thinking. On the whole, I hold myself up to very high standards. I generally don't judge other people very harshly.

Turned up as a high Mach on one of those online tests, though. While I can manipulate situations and people just for fun, I don't recall ever doing it to hurt somebody or to gain something for myself.

In fact, I want to be the lind of lawyer who fights for justice and for the rights of the downtrodden, without too many money considerations.

So... con-artist? Nah. Perhaps a la Robin Hood, at the most.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I honestly *never* heard ENTP = Machiavelian con-artist until I came to these forums. Can anyone provide a source for this? (Socionics doesn't count.)
    Uberfuhrer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by edel weiss View Post
    I'm not a Machiavellian con-artist
    Thank heavens for that! If you were, though, would you say?

An ENTP drinking pal of many years often confuses me with his sometimes highly suspect ethics. On the one hand he's straight down the line, would do anything to help out friends and is generally a good egg. On a few occassions he's told me about some dreadful things he's *had to do* at work - real toe curling stuff - as a conversation filler. He shrugs this off as "just business", reasoning if he didn't do it *someone else would*. He's also slightly Machiavellian but isn't very good at it (dunno if that counts).

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Thank heavens for that! If you were, though, would you say?

An ENTP drinking pal of many years often confuses me with his sometimes highly suspect ethics. On the one hand he's straight down the line, would do anything to help out friends and is generally a good egg. On a few occassions he's told me about some dreadful things he's *had to do* at work - real toe curling stuff - as a conversation filler. He shrugs this off as "just business", reasoning if he didn't do it *someone else would*. He's also slightly Machiavellian but isn't very good at it (dunno if that counts).
    Do you think the fact that he's "slightly" Machiavellian has anything to do with him being an ENTP?

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of the implication that Machiavellian => ENTP or ENTP => Machiavellian.

(You're not making those implications, I'm just using this thread as an excuse to rant. )

The most "Machiavellian" people I've ever met were not ENTPs.

I've also yet to find any reference to that in *any* of the official literature on MBTI types. The closest I can find is vague correlations between ENTPs (as well as many other types, tyvm) and other personality systems where that kind of thing is mentioned.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London