• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How extroverted are you? (any type but esspecially for ENTP's)

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
of all the letters in MBTI the I/E dichotomy seems the hardest one to pinpoint imo.
i for one am an extrovert, although i'm not exactly a party man but i am pretty social, i go out a lot but not with that many different people.

if for some reason i don't go out too much for, say 1-2 days, i start to be a bit bored and feel that i am somewhat stagnant, i like to read and listen to music and watch movies (i'm a lover of movies) but still, that day without much socializing feels a bit...lost. it's a completely manageable situation for about a week or so, but afterwards i pick up the phone and start calling people to see who wants a beer or something.

also, i'm curious if other E's start a lot of conversations with random people, coz for sure i don't, and if some random person starts a conversation with me 70-80% of the time i quickly put an end to it (politely of course), it's completely the other way around however when i'm with people that i know, even if i know them very little (as in i barely know that person's name).

same thing for other E's?

Yussa Tampon

MBTI Type
entp
I'm not entirely a loudmouth(I think) but I find myself talking to strangers quite often, usually about recent events or something in particular. I enjoy having an unbiased opinion every so often about an idea or thought I have and what better person to discuss it with than the random guy next to you! Of course if I'm with people I know or at work/school I'm usually the gregarious one of the bunch, silent only when presented with food.

As for whether someone is an I/E, I think the best way to determine such is to see if they prefer to initiate conversation(E) or prefer to be initiated on(I) on a regular basis. To be the one to initiate contact constantly typically means a need to seek an individual's company, something that resonates more with an Extravert rather than an Introvert.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
also, i'm curious if other E's start a lot of conversations with random people, coz for sure i don't, and if some random person starts a conversation with me 70-80% of the time i quickly put an end to it (politely of course), it's completely the other way around however when i'm with people that i know, even if i know them very little (as in i barely know that person's name).

same thing for other E's?

No, I start conversations with random people. Whenever I go to a club or bar, 20% of my time I spend with my friends, and the other 80% I'm with people I just met.

I find talking to random people more stimulating, and over time I've gotten good at not coming off as awkward doing it.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's the thing.....ENTP's are the most 'introverted' of all extroverts........we derive our energy from an external world..........but we are snobs in the sense that we're not remotely people person.......unless they interest us.......most of us don't want to talk to some random stranger......or sometimes even people we like.......unless they are saying something we find interesting and we're i the mood for it........talking about the weather is like asking us to clean out the attic........it's a chore and most of us will avoid it if at all possible.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about the Introvert/Extrovert dichotomy, but being an Extrovert doesn't mean you are a chatty cathy people person, it means you derive your energy from outside of your own mind........making an ENTP simply sit around in solitary confinement is even more punishing that forcing him to engage mindless small talk..........i'm sure you've noticed that after a while of being alone, you finally get to the point where you have to go out in to the world and become involved with something involving people.

Others E's are far more indescriminantly outgoing.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, I start conversations with random people. Whenever I go to a club or bar, 20% of my time I spend with my friends, and the other 80% I'm with people I just met.

I find talking to random people more stimulating, and over time I've gotten good at not coming off as awkward doing it.

A bar is a different story for me......because of alcohol........alcohol turns me in to an ESTP.......I get out of my head and more S the more I drink, which I strongly suspect is the same with most N's........alcohol begins to limit one's intuitive aspects and makes one more sensory driven.

omglookitsagoat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not very extroverted at all. I took a real mbti test checked by professionals in the career counseling center at my college a few times. The last time I actually scored 100% introverted. I'm not that shy and when I'm bored I talk to random strangers to pass the time but I seldom form friendships and don't feel the need to go out of my way to socialize outside of class. I pretty much only hang out with one other person about once a month. The only friend I hang out with is my INTJ friend. She isn't much more social than I am. We both aren't very interested in other people, but like each other for some reason.

I've had a few other friends in the last few years, I just don't right now. Most of the closest friends I've had have been other IT types.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
A bar is a different story for me......because of alcohol........alcohol turns me in to an ESTP.......I get out of my head and more S the more I drink, which I strongly suspect is the same with most N's........alcohol begins to limit one's intuitive aspects and makes one more sensory driven.

This makes sense.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
if for some reason i don't go out too much for, say 1-2 days, i start to be a bit bored and feel that i am somewhat stagnant, i like to read and listen to music and watch movies (i'm a lover of movies) but still, that day without much socializing feels a bit...lost. it's a completely manageable situation for about a week or so, but afterwards i pick up the phone and start calling people to see who wants a beer or something.

Yeah me too. Sometimes I used to be forced at home due to homework etc, and I'd become rather listless.

I do start conversations with random strangers, but I try to guess if they're in the mood for talking or not. Generally though I'm very much a conversation-starter, compared to most people I know.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very extroverted in bursts, and very introverted in bursts.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being reserved and sort of on the introverted side seems to be my baseline. I sort of explode into outbursts of extroversion and talkativeness in regular intervals, but always retreat again to reflect and recharge. I swing back and forth like this frequently.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am actually pretty extroverted, but I guess you could say that I'm an extrovert with issues. I used to test as an INTP, not because I was introverted, but because I was shy and scared of people. I was also fairly depressed at the time. As I've grown more comfortable with myself (and less convinced that people secretly hate me), I've become much more social and talkative. Being in college helps. For the first time in my life, I'm surrounded by guys I don't intimidate, and that's super nice.

I do like to talk to people I randomly meet in public. It's fun. I do, however, often end up cutting a conversation short when the person I'm talking to starts to seriously hit on me (I'm super oblivious. If I notice you hitting on me, you're pretty blatant). Particularly if I'm getting hit on by a 40 year old. That's twice my age... So, yeah... I'd like to talk to strangers more if they didn't tend to come onto me. (On the other hand, I can intimidate them easily if I want to, and then they usually piss off).

I dunno. Once I figured out that I could have friends, I became fairly social. At the same time, I still prefer solitude to dealing with idiots and asses.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
I'm very extroverted in bursts, and very introverted in bursts.

I am the same. It depends on what activity I am doing or who I am with when I am outside though. I'm aware that I do it, but I just can't help it xD.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm a mellow extravert i think.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It depends on my mood, but I'd have to say that new circumstances, new people seem to bring out something ESFPish in me. Even when I'm with otherwise (vastly) more extraverted friends I'm the one that ends up welcoming and communicating with new people or strangers, strangers also talk to me easily. I have very little reservations about following my curiosity (I'm actually quite impulsive about it) and I try to make (new) people feel included. I'm more of an icebreaker extraversion person, not a continuous input extraversion person.

Three consecutive nights at home by myself is too much in normal (no deadlines I'm working hard on etc.) circumstances, especially as I don't really use social media or text/call very often.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Not very but I wing it well.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Socially: Not that outgoing or sociable, less so than a fair number of Introverts I know.

Extroverted: Yes, Ne is my dom function and I am energised by external things.

In terms of MBTI the latter is all that matters.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i'm pretty middling on the E-I scale too.

i like to go by cognitive definitions when thinking about E and I - does the person mostly draw their cognitive energy from things outside their mind (E) or from inside their mind (I)? whether or not you strike up conversations or socialize frequently can be muddied by social confidence as well as general interest in people, and really doesn't always have much to do with E and I. Ne doms in particular seem to enjoy external concepts - we're idea people before we're people people. we rejuvenate with new ideas, which is why people can often seem to energize us.

personally, i'll sustain a conversation with a stranger but i'm unlikely to have started it - though i usually do strike up conversation with new people i will be around for a long time (eg new coworkers).

i do the same thing with socializing. actually it's really hard for me to imagine a day without contact... usually on any given day i interact with bunches of people - my clients, coworkers, parents, bf, and at least a friend or two. my mom, best friend, and boyfriend are all extraverts, so we all tend to have very high "together" tolerances. i can easily spend several days on end with any of them.

I used to test as an INTP, not because I was introverted, but because I was shy and scared of people. I was also fairly depressed at the time. As I've grown more comfortable with myself (and less convinced that people secretly hate me), I've become much more social and talkative. Being in college helps.

^ :yes: i was a lot more quiet before college. a lot more self-conscious, too. i've grown into myself more since then and have become much more open, energetic, and talkative. it feels more natural to me. i still have plenty of long periods of quietness though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I score consistently introverted

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 6 is supposed to be typically ambiverted (according to some descriptions) and that kind of fits me.

I really am an introvert, I have little doubt about that. But I tend to have reasonably close E/I scores (depends how I feel that day). And for an introvert, I make a good extrovert, it seems. I've known people who were convinced that I was one, because they seem me smiling and asking people questions about themselves and socializing. They don't know as much about me collapsing with a sigh of relief when I get home and happily curling up alone, and needing a good stretch of time before I can go to sleep just so I can get my head re-balanced after all the people contact.

I am definitely less introverted than some INFJs. Some of it is societal demands, though. I don't know what I'd be like if I had a quieter life. I was more withdrawn when I was younger.

Elusivity

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can appear extremely extroverted in bursts: high-energy whenever there is interesting people around -- talk rapidly, really expressive, zero apprehension about approaching strangers. But I'm drawing on a finite reserve doing this, and can then crash and become utterly exhausted. I can't tell these days whether I am a low-energy ENTP, or high energy INTP... Fe seems to be developing before Si, though..