User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Whats the deal with NTP's and conspiracy theories

so i know quite a lot of people that believe in conspiracy theories to a varying degree, and most of them are NTP's (say 4-5 of them).
    the universal one is "secret Freemason guild that rules the world", and then some other conspiracy theories such as "9/11 was done by the americans on purpose so they had cassus belli against AFghanistan/Irak" or "the financial crisis was purposefully created"

whilst these theories don't bother me very much, i fail to see why anyone, especially NTP's, would believe in them. in my opinion believing in such theories makes the need to search for answers redundant.

for example: I ask: "I wonder if political and fiscal unity for the EU will help its sovereign debt problem". he says "the Freemasons won't allow it, they want the EU to blow up and buy up they're economies and turn the EU states into personal fiefdoms."

WTH? In my opinion people who believe in such conspiracy theories narrow themselves a lot, because instead of trying to enhance one's knowledge and answer these questions by his own, he uses these theories as universal truths and so he doesn't learn anything new, and also pisses off his conversation partner.

And it is very surprising because of all types NTP's should shoot these theories down on sight.
    I guess that they feel more confident and knowledgeable when they use the conspiracy theory card in a debate, especially with me since i don't argue with people that believe in them since i don't consider it to be worth my time.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Because logic and reality is boring
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

>believing in such theories makes the need to search for answers redundant.

carl jung explains the difference between negative and positive thinking. positive thinking seeks understanding and therefore creates it, negative thinking uses the next best theories like it's just a label, to put something aside. jung mentions the example of believing that a psychic phenomenon happens due to vibrations of the astral-body, when no one know what an astral body is or what vibrations mean/imply (i.e. good or bad, and why).

jung also says that irrational (perception led) types are often unable to use their secondary judge-mental function in a positive way. negative is the default. he says this about the people he knew at his time. people with little education, little mental challenge in a calm simple world.

in my view its almost always true for average people and for intelligent people it's true for like roughly the first twenty years of their lives.

also it's a gradual thing. the ability to willingly use you secondary function in a verry exellent procative/positive way does not mean, you do this by default, whenever you form an opinion about a subject.

but i am not saying that all conspiracy theories are examples of negative thinking. more importantly i will say that rejecting conspiracy theories might just as likely be an example of negative thinking.

MBTI
    INTP

My name is Beargryllz and I love theory

Some theories are conspiracy theories

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    more importantly i will say that rejecting conspiracy theories might just as likely be an example of negative thinking.
    beautiful.

"for intelligent people it's true for like roughly the first twenty years of their lives. " from what i know the secondary function starts to develop in ones early 20's, is it related?

>from what i know the secondary function starts to develop

certainly 'positive' usage of a function must be a product of some form of development, or else babies would invent Faust. no one has really precise understanding of what happens there, so to some degree its maybe an example of negative thinking (of simple labeling) to state, that a "function begins to develop", just because it's product become shaped in such a way that they are appreciated or just recognized by the observer. the latter is simply an observation, the former sounds smart. not saying there is something wrong with speaking this way. i suppose we all do it all the time. we couldn't seriously avoid it, so there is no point in hating it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

IME it's usually INxJ 6s. YOU MINDLESS SLAVES.

MBTI
    INTP

I actually make it a point to debunk conspiracy theories. They are riddled with logical inconsistencies, gaps in information and sometimes flat bad information which makes it impossible for my logical self to not to correct them much less take them seriously. Moreover, the peddlers of these things have a tendency to go into orbit when you point out the holes in their world view – it really is kind of amusing.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Because logic and reality is boring
    This. And Alien-freemason-Al-Qaida theories tickle Ne very nicely.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I'm not sure if it is strictly type related, but I do wonder about the psychology involved. There was a thread about types and conspiracy theories a while back. Likewise, one on INTJforum.

It seems to be partly due to a defect in separating between imagination, and that which is based on observable evidence. (It is true that conspiracies can be fun to speculate about)
    It seems conspiracy theorists fall into familiar traps such as confirmation bias and the like.

I just found an interesting article on why people believe in conspiracy theories here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...n-conspiracies

Are the patterns involved in belief of conspiracy theories substantially different from belief in other ideologies and religions?

In terms of my personal belief, I prefer to assume the world is run by a bunch of mostly incompetent people who obtained their roles mostly by coincidence and good fortune. (or chaos and complexity..)