User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTP and phobias

Is it just me, or do INTPs have a particular susceptibility to phobias? I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia"). I think once our Si starts to develop, that combined with our Ti will allow us to vividly relive a past bad experience with a stimulus continually and due to our intense bodily awareness, find it particularly hard to avoid something from that bad experience turning into a phobia. My trypanophobia didn't develop until about 11 or 12 (probably about the time when Si started taking hold), and one bad experience with the dentist sent me into a phobia related to syringes. Whenever I need to do anything with them, I find it easy to relive the sensation I felt over and over again and because of the Ti, it's hard to psychologically let go.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

People
    Rejection
    Death
    Losing a family member
    Being ugly
    Being stupid
    Being untalented
    Being forgotten
    Being lonely
    Leaving important items off lists

MBTI
    INTP

No phobias here.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know if its a true phobia but heights panic me because it feels like I'm loosing my balance/leaning forward and that spells "FALL." It feels that way without looking down.

I'm also kind of claustrophobic and that includes crowds or having my arms held down.

Group dynamics (not just net) disturb me... I don't trust them... too many hidden agendas that I don't sniff out as easily as some do. Its probably easier for more social types.

MBTI
    INTP

As for the usual stuff, heights and crawly stuff (bugs, snakes, etc) freak me out. I'm also kinda claustrophobic. As far as social things go, I'm absolutely terrified of approaching people for anything. I have a hard time just asking people questions (even store clerks and the like). I hate calling people on the phone for the first time. This makes dating a little hard. Public speaking, actually, isn't that much of a phobia for me.
    I always get pretty nervous while I'm doing it, but I often like it at the same time, usually if I feel comfortable that I know what I'm talking about, and thus I don't actively fear it or avoid it.

MBTI
    INTP

I blame my childish Si as well. I have an incredible fear of being stabbed in the eye and find it hard looking at some things like pencils, knives even cartoon barbed wire on TV makes me cringe.

I also have the fear that if I think about it enough I could give myself a heart attack. I lie awake at night trying not to think about it. And of course trying not to think of something is the same as dwelling on it.

I can't get stoned any more because it so paralyses me in introversion between Ti and Si that I panic the hell out and only when trying to clasp onto Ne do I recover.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

How about INFPs?
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTP

I used to have a phobia of elevators, but it's passed. I still have insectophobia, though. I freak when there's a fly in the house, and I start cleaning the furniture like mad.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Phobias are a function of classical conditioning, not personality or temperament. This topic is in error

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    Is it just me, or do INTPs have a particular susceptibility to phobias? I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia"). I think once our Si starts to develop, that combined with our Ti will allow us to vividly relive a past bad experience with a stimulus continually and due to our intense bodily awareness, find it particularly hard to avoid something from that bad experience turning into a phobia. My trypanophobia didn't develop until about 11 or 12 (probably about the time when Si started taking hold), and one bad experience with the dentist sent me into a phobia related to syringes. Whenever I need to do anything with them, I find it easy to relive the sensation I felt over and over again and because of the Ti, it's hard to psychologically let go.
    Nope, no phobias here, and very low anxiety generally. In particular, with needles, I quite like watching it done, in fact (eg when I had a blood test on Tuesday).

I also am not sure that I agree INTPs have "intense bodily awareness"... more likely to bump into something, not realise a shirt isn't done up etc etc....? Think bodily awareness will be an SP.