User Tag List

First 12

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Phobias are a function of classical conditioning, not personality or temperament. This topic is in error

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Guys, there is a difference between being scared, having anxiety and a phobia. It is not really a phobia unless you have had a full blown panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia").
    Me too, although my fear also had some rational basis, since I have a history of having immunological reactions to immunizations.

My (INTP) father has been known to faint afterwards on rare occasions. The first time I fainted afterwards, I did not understand why, I felt slightly better when I was told that I was not the only one in the family.

But I need to have blood tests occasionally, leading to the issue...

I think the reason why I only ever fainted afterwards was because I was unwilling to 'let go' until afterwards.

Anyway, the key is not to be afraid of the consequences - you don't want a fear of a fear. Secondly, I found it was best to lie to myself - just don't think about it - it was not going to happen before - not happening during - didn't happen after. After a while I no longer have the fear of the fear - I still don't like it, but it is no longer so problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I blame my childish Si as well. I have an incredible fear of being stabbed in the eye and find it hard looking at some things like pencils, knives even cartoon barbed wire on TV makes me cringe.

I also have the fear that if I think about it enough I could give myself a heart attack. I lie awake at night trying not to think about it. And of course trying not to think of something is the same as dwelling on it.

I can't get stoned any more because it so paralyses me in introversion between Ti and Si that I panic the hell out and only when trying to clasp onto Ne do I recover.
    I was stabbed in the eye with a screwdriver by my best friend one time.

We're still good pals.

I don't really have any phobias other than needles. Heights don't bother me, I'm not claustrophobic or anything.. I just get really lightheaded when I have to get an injection. Almost 10 years ago, everybody in my school district had to submit to a meningitis shot; that's the only innoculation that I ever fainted from.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Phobias are a function of classical conditioning, not personality or temperament. This topic is in error
    Phobias are triggered by conditioning. I'm not disputing that. I'm not saying personality is the root, I'm saying personality has some relevance to the likelihood of development of a phobia. Obviously, it also relies on several other complicated factors.

I still do not know whether I am INTJ or INTP, but regardless, here is a list of all phobias I currently have or have had in the past (yes, there are quite a few of them):

1. Mild (noteworthy, yet can generally be tolerated)
    - Coulrophobia
    - Equinophobia
    - Pediophobia
    - Glossophobia

2. Moderate (stronger than mild, yet not severe enough for psychological help to be necessary)
    - Algophobia
    - Hemophobia
    - Enochlopobia
    - Trypanophobia

3. Severe (may interfere with daily activity. Psychological help may be necessary)
    - Agoraphobia
    - Anthropophobia
    - Heliophobia
    - Mysophobia*
    - Nosophobia*
    - Tetraphobia*

NOTE: The phobias above listed in italics, and specifically the last three indicated by a *, are perhaps more accurately described as symptoms of my OCD rather than individually-standing, unrelated phobias
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    ENFJ

I have a bad blood/injury/injection phobia. Although, this is probably rooted in the few bloody injuries I had when I was very young (3-5 years old) coupled with dragging the issue back up to the surface when I was 14 with the Clockwork Orange-style conditioning I went through to pass biology class.

Anything I hear gives me a vivid visual in my head, and because instead of actually learning biology and health in biology and health class, all the teachers would talk about were traumatic sports injuries, I managed to give the conditioning to myself. I was, curiously enough, the only one bothered by these teacher's descriptions of sports injuries to actually pass out a few times.

And I'm seriously fucked up for it. But then again, perhaps I shouldn't have posted; I'm INTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

INTP's are prone to phobia's?

This is news to me. I would think being able to rationally examine yourself would leave no room for that.
    I = 89% N = 79% T = 84% p = 74%

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Judous View Post
    INTP's are prone to phobia's?

This is news to me. I would think being able to rationally examine yourself would leave no room for that.
    You'd think so. You'd think J types would be more prone to it (introverted irrational functions).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You'd think so. You'd think J types would be more prone to it (introverted irrational functions).
    Exactly, I would think that would be more of an S & J Thing
    I = 89% N = 79% T = 84% p = 74%