User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

Default Socially comfortable INTPs

I don't necessarily mean INTPs who are socially adept (although I'm interested in them, too) but INTPs are fine with expressing themselves in social situations. What do they look like?

There's this INTP who is perfectly fine with…well, being an INTP, I suppose. She gives her own idiosyncratic names to things and uses them in conversation. If you don't know what the hell she's talking about she just leads you along until you figure it out. She's fallen asleep at conferences; she has commented loudly on things in conferences ('This isn't an agony aunt column!') and then gone to sleep. And she gets away with it! She's well-respected in her field. In short, she sounds kind of awesome to me. Indeed, I hope to be as comfortable as she is in doing her own thing one day!

What do you guys do? Or what have you seen other INTPs do?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Two of my best friends are INTP's. One is a guy and the other a girl. The person whom you are describing above could be a twin to my INTP girl friend. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit socially awkward, and I lol when I think about it, but it's amusing and even "cute" sometimes. They are eccentric in their own ways and will make people scratch their heads without even realizing what they just did. I enjoy having humorous conversations with INTP's. They may be the "stoner" intellectuals of the bunch, but I think they are also the comedians (and just like everything else, they are oblvious to that too

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

Haha, yes. Apparently even this INTP I was talking about comes off as exceedingly quiet in other spaces (and that was an observation from an exceedingly introverted INTJ).

It's funny because you seem to have a similar reaction to INTPs that my INTJ friend does! At the moment, this INTJ is trying to work their relationship into a friendship by geeking out with them every so often, heh.

What does the INTP girl do, by the way? I'm really happy to read anecdotes, by the way. But there's no pressure. I'm just interested at the moment because I'm trying to figure out a model of behaviour for myself, I think.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I'm just interested at the moment because I'm trying to figure out a model of behaviour for myself, I think.
    Man, this is not a good thing to do! Do what comes naturally, and be yourself, don't try to mimic similar people's behaviors!

Edit: realizing this is harder for some people than others, I like the "fake it 'til you make it" approach. You can pretend to be comfortable with yourself in social situations, and eventually, you actually will be.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

Haha, yes. I probably shouldn't have said 'model'. I think I'm interested in what kinds of social scripts INTPs get away with breaking. I thought it would make for funny anecdotes!

I appreciate the "fake it 'til you make it" edit, too, heh.

Glycerine

They seem lively, crack a lot of jokes/make light-hearted commentary here and there, engaged in the other people around them but when they need to get away, they fade away into the background or slyly escape the group. I am talking about the experience of being around 3 males and 1 female INTP. I would just say, "relax" and be yourself and get away when you need to. Mimicking behavior can come off rigid and awkward. Also the INTPs I knew didn't seem to take themselves "too seriously" so they fit into the group just fine.

EDIT: They took on the "funny critic" role.

MBTI
    INTP

Many INTPs have well developed senses of humor - I'd say that is the fastest way to get comfortable in a group and have a group get comfortable with you.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

Haha, they always say that about INTPs. I've only ever encountered very quiet INTPs, actually. They all (me included, I think) just laugh to themselves a lot! They mostly just seem to talk when an idea comes around, then they either slip something into the conversation or kind of light up and talk a great deal.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    EDIT: They took on the "funny critic" role.
    Thats me, but i also got funny ideas that make no sense, like "hey if we all would lye on oven, it would cool down slower, making the dinner cook bit faster", while drooling at the food infront of oven
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I like to make morbid jokes and point out logical inconsistencies in peoples' arguments and comments.

I really just don't care. I am comfortable and confident in my own intellect and knowledge to not really care what other people think about me. Being right most of the time also helps.