User Tag List

123 Last

Default Degree = intelligence?

Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It would depend upon what else they have done with their life. If there evidence of ongoing learning and personal growth, I would not automatically consider them to be less intelligent for not having a university degree. There are many ways to develop and make use of one's intelligence.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them?
    On a base level I would not think less of them.
    But for those who were not able to pursue their dreams because they needed a degree and never got one, well..

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams, the scope of understanding the problem, and the speed with which they come to these understanding and possible solutions. So no I wouldn’t instantly dismiss anyone for that. But I’m also not particularly known for asking 40 year olds whether they have degrees or not, so limited experience and all that

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trollogo View Post
    I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams, the scope of understanding the problem, and the speed with which they come to these understanding and possible solutions.
    QFT. Education is important and all should strive for it, does not however serve as a measurement tool of ones intellect. Merely points out ones priorities which reflects on how much I would come to respect/admire someone. So yes, it would have an impact on me.

MBTI
    INTP

Not really. My father only finished his bachelors at 40, and he just recently got a PHD at 62. If there is evidence of desire and pursuit of learning, then it doesn't really matter whether you were formally educated.
    "Those are my principles and if you don't like them......well, I have others"

-Groucho Marx

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- Frederich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

There are a number of reasons I might consider someone intelligent. Having completed a higher or fairly difficult degree is one of them. I also respect people who are wise and insightful and have interesting things to say, degree or no degree. Formal education is hardly the only way you can acquire these traits. There are also plenty of people who get a degree just to enter a certain field, or just because they are expected to, and have no real interest in pursuing knowledge or exploring ideas aside from that. I do have a university degree, but I've also done plenty of learning and thinking outside of my time in school.

So, generally higher education is something I respect...but it's far from the only reason I'd respect someone's intellect.

MBTI
    INTP

Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?
    There is alot of variables with this question. I know some people who don't have degrees and I don't think less of them. They have a chosen profession that doesn't require one and demonstrate a high level of competency in that profession and are otherwise demonstrably intelligent, well read, and thoughtful. On the other hand there are some people who don't whom I DO think less of - they typically should have a degree but don't have the persistence or the simple appetite for the work involved (your basic slacker).

My regard for education is very high and all things being equal (though they rarely are) I would generally speaking regard somebody more highly if they did have a degree. But that is a very general principal and there are many exceptions.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    On a base level I would not think less of them.
    But for those who were not able to pursue their dreams because they needed a degree and never got one, well..
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollogo View Post
    I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams
    How about if you came across someone who gave up their dreams for an education? Would the same line of thinking apply?

Clarification: I'm not insinuating anything of your responses, just asking a question spurred on by them.

No.
    Nada.
    Street smarts > Book smarts.
    Nothing beats simple common sense.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.