First 23456 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    How about if you came across someone who gave up their dreams for an education? Would the same line of thinking apply?
    Perhaps...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?
    I don't think lacking a college degree indicates a person is stupid. A lot of people never go to college; more never finish. I think it might make it more difficult to be successful in a professional field later in life. Not everyone has those kinds of goals, though.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

a university degree makes you sexy for woman thats why I am doing it. Only problem that I didnt consider beforehand: woman dont think engineers are sexy xD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    eNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    a university degree makes you sexy for woman thats why I am doing it. Only problem that I didnt consider beforehand: woman dont think engineers are sexy xD
    depends on the engineering field. mechanical/software/environmental engineers = very sexy

you have the opportunity to gain knowledge from university directly from supposed experts in the fields of study that you are interested in. this could (but is not necessarily) be easier than navigating your way through vast amounts of research publications and conflicting/outdated textbook information.

more importantly you can get a shiny piece of paper that certain employers might value. however, there are many many people who waste a university education and end up with nothing to show for it or end up working a job they could have easily gotten without a $80,000 liberal arts degree.

buf for some jobs, engineering is a good example, if you have not yet passed a licensing exam decent grades in an accredited program is really the only way to get the job that you desire. univeristy is an expensive tool that is only utilized properly by a minority on any account.

but on a different note i dont believe that knowledge is the same thing as intelligence ergo a degree cannot be any measure of intellect. the whole idea pisses me off. do you know how many pre-med students i've met who cheat on absolutely every fucking test?

end of rant

Permabanned

My definition of intelligence is basically realizing what your values are, what your goals are, who you are, and living your life in such a way in order to hopefully maximize the chances of being where you want to be, with the realization that you will never actually never "completely" be where you would like to be (since, if everyone was being honest with themselves their hopes and dreams are ultimately limited by reality). It's also realizing that this realization (while fundamental) means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Given my definition of intelligence a college degree has very little to do with anything. Both of my parents are pretty educated and I would consider them less "intelligent" than starving artists, mainstream rappers, actors, nurses, second rate athletes etc (in general, of course). Talking to most of my professors, I don't consider them any more intelligent than my parents either. As a whole the "educated" don't seem particularly bright, to be honest...I have an uncle who is some sort of professor and he honestly pisses me off sometimes for being so ignorant.

Although, I would say that I have a tendency to think that everyone should have gone to college and probably even grad school unless they had a very compelling reason not to.

Ginkgo

Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?
    No. Credentials don't speak for skills or abilities such as intelligence. In fact, sometimes we allow our true skills to atrophy in the comfort of professional credentials.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

In either case it depends on how you apply the knowledge you gain in a real world type scenario. Being smart and educated is one thing, but it's much more impressive if the information is used measurably. I have little respect for people who have degrees if they have done nothing to show for it beyond gain it. Impress me with your implementation not your idealism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    SCOEI / Inquisitive

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Degree = Industrious/hardworking <- rings true in America
    I do not consider academics when I attempt to get an idea of someone's intellect.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

MBTI
    ENTP

For me there is a huge difference between intelligence and education. I left high school with lots of light weight qualifications and few strong ones (mainly because of the culture of the school), and I didn't go to university for a good few years, but went to nursing school. Eventually went to uni and got a first class degree.

Did I suddenly become more intelligent because I was studying? NO of course not, but it confirmed to me I was bright. University provided me with a framework for expression and to an extent on how to approach things. So an education gives you skills however it definitely doesn't make you more intelligent.

If you are sifting through a lot of people, having a degree allows you to say - yes this person has an education which has a minor degree of correlation to intelligent. I will still hire people without a degree if I can see they are smart, I don't use degree's as ultimate screener. One of my best ever staff has no degree and one of my best ever boss also has no degree. Both have very high levels of intelligence.

That said, I do screen men on degree, but mainly as a short hand and not as an absolute... that said I'm dating a guy with an MA... but it wasn't a requirement, the quality of the mind is more important to me, he is an ENFJ and really high EQ from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Degree = Industrious/hardworking
    Interesting....couldn't you say the same of someone who has applied themselves to learn a skilled trades job (such as an electrician or plumber)?