• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Why you are not getting laid.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought of the INTP Engineer I'm dating when I read this article and was very amused. Thought you lot might like to have a look at it too.

Well, Actually - Miguel de Icaza

Well, Actually

Why you are not getting laid

As software developers, we develop habits that allow us to build products that work and do not fail under stress. Every software developer knows what an "off-by-one" error is, and like the Karate Kid, we train extensively so we can avoid those traps. We learn how to avoid these and other similar software problems and we sharpen our skills to find logic errors.

As we mature as developers, finding logic errors and incomplete solutions becomes our way of life. It defines us.

But our engineering strength is also our social weakness. Countless times as engineers you will find yourself interrupting someone telling a story, an anecdote or a joke to correct a false assumption, provide an extra fact that the narrator overlooked, give a bigger perspective on the problem or point out that the joke premise is actually flawed.

You can identify this behavior because the person interrupting usually starts with the phrase "Well, actually...".

As a kid, I thought this was my strength. I knew a little bit more than my sister. So whenever she would say something, I would quickly interject something like "Well, actually, the origin of the word Shih Tzu means Lion Dog and has nothing to do with the dog's digestive patterns".

Yes, I was really fun to hang out with.

As a child, I wondered why my sister could make friends and keep them so easily, while I could not. It would take me years to discover this. And now, as a public service I am sharing with you, my fellow geek friends, what I learned.

F

figsfiggyfigs

That was really quick to read, and equally pointless.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Most of us are not getting laid in an effort to eventually get laid. It's what humans do....

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I dunno...I'd probably sleep with a guy like that. He'd have interesting things to say and it beats having to lug an encyclopedia around everywhere.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd kill someone who acted like that all the time.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I thought I wasn't getting laid because I refuse to shave and don't really keep up my appearance at all.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?

But the temptation never fully fades! I still get the occasional jolt of:

"Um, actually, you mean Frankenstein's monster"
or
"Technically, that isn't ironic, it's coincidental"

When around friends I tend to still say it, but I say it as nerdily as possible and toss in a very breathy, arrogant fake laugh. I figure making a joke of it isn't so bad. After all, "well, actually" is pretty much Larry David's whole shtick on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The reasons I am generally not getting laid are legion. Fortunately, that doesn't bother me too much, like it would people who refer to having sex as "getting laid," or write articles online to help others "get laid."

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
But the temptation never fully fades! I still get the occasional jolt of:

"Um, actually, you mean Frankenstein's monster"
or
"Technically, that isn't ironic, it's coincidental"

When around friends I tend to still say it, but I say it as nerdily as possible and toss in a very breathy, arrogant fake laugh. I figure making a joke of it isn't so bad. After all, "well, actually" is pretty much Larry David's whole shtick on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The reasons I am generally not getting laid are legion. Fortunately, that doesn't bother me too much, like it would people who refer to having sex as "getting laid," or write articles online to help others "get laid."

Ah, yes, that's true. I generally try to let corrections slide unless I know it's a friend who would be embarrassed about getting something wrong. I do tend to correct pronunciations with close friends just because I don't want them to sound dumb when they repeat it in front of others, but I try to be as casual about it as possible. Luckily, as a professor, I get my correcting-people fix in during working hours. Score! And they LIKE IT.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I don't know, I don't have the urge to correct people because most times it really doesn't matter if they are right...because they aren't trying to be right.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I didn't know that everyone in the software branch is an INTP.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I didn't know that everyone in the software branch is an INTP.

Yep, you caught us. Good detective work... now you mut die. ;)

I don't correct jokes. Sometimes after them I'll add in a 'technically speaking' or 'did you know' but I won't 'well actually' someone right in the middle of a joke, because it would be shitty for them to do that to me. And since my primary mode of interaction is joking, it would be an open invitation for people to do the same thing. It would be harder, though, since my humor relies mainly on absurd scenarios or ideas taken to unlikely extremes... it's not as easy as that kickin' new Napoleon joke to dismember, since I'm all about improvisation.

I'll tell you why I'm not getting laid: I want relationships.

I could have sex relatively easy, I'm guessing. Go to a party, hit on girls, and end up in sex-city for the next few hours. I know at least one I could probably have sex with right now... but I don't want to.

For what it's worth, most people (including women) view my 'having to explain everything' as a positive instead of a negative. One person said it bothered them – literally said "I don't like her, she explains too much" – and promptly fell for me. As far as I can tell, they are still into me, even if they're less overt about it now. Too bad they're not my type.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
well, actually, the real reason I'm not getting laid is...

----

?

Yes I correct people about function theory.

I don't correct people IRL about technical things, nor do I interrupt them to look for a precise word, nor do I ruin jokes or light interactions IRL with Ti/Si nitpicking.

This is a typology forum. I don't like it when people are stupid about function theory. I think it perpetuates stereotypes which are harmful to real people.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5

I don't correct people IRL about technical things, nor do I interrupt them to look for a precise word, nor do I ruin jokes or light interactions IRL with Ti/Si nitpicking.

This is a typology forum. I don't like it when people are stupid about function theory. I think it perpetuates stereotypes which are harmful to real people.
ok, thanks for clarifying :)

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5

You know functions so well that you've been INFJ, ESFP, and now ISFP since I registered.

Good on you for being amazing at functions. ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know functions so well that you've been INFJ, ESFP, and now ISFP since I registered.

Good on you for being amazing at functions. ;)

Yes because I've been educated by people who knew function theory better than I, and intend to continue that benevolent tradition.

P.S. Don't ever speak to me again, or I'll report you.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes because I've been educated by people who knew function theory better than I, and intend to continue that benevolent tradition.

P.S. Don't ever speak to me again, or I'll report you.

So even though you've changed from INFJ to ESFP, to (most and very recently) ISFP, you're able to lecture others on functions? Makes perfect sense.

P.S. Hello!

Also, lol at this:

After saying this:

Um, actually no. ADHD is very common in Se types because of the hyperactivity aspect.

Stereotype much? Where's the data on this? I'd like to see it. Forum polls such as "DO U HAEV ADHD SE TYPES?" don't count.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, because I've actually LEARNED instead of thinking I knew everything and staying stuck in my ignorance. Learning is a fluid thing.

I think I know more about function theory than some people who have had a static type for years, who are mired in stereotypes and floundering in ignorance, yet on the other hand still have lessons to learn from those more knowledgable than I.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, because I've actually LEARNED instead of thinking I knew everything and staying stuck in my ignorance. Learning is a fluid thing.

I think I know more about function theory than some people who have had a static type for years, who are mired in stereotypes and floundering in ignorance, yet on the other hand still have lessons to learn from those more knowledgable than I.
Then stop trying to lecture people about being 'stupid' in regards to functions when you could have been 'stupid' in regards to functions a year ago and, as compared to others, you could still be 'stupid' about functions. Especially when you're not above using a blatant stereotype about ADHD in (I'm guessing) Se doms.

I'm out of this discussion, enjoy your assumed superiority.