123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Why you are not getting laid.

I thought of the INTP Engineer I'm dating when I read this article and was very amused. Thought you lot might like to have a look at it too.

Well, Actually - Miguel de Icaza

Well, Actually

Why you are not getting laid

As software developers, we develop habits that allow us to build products that work and do not fail under stress. Every software developer knows what an "off-by-one" error is, and like the Karate Kid, we train extensively so we can avoid those traps. We learn how to avoid these and other similar software problems and we sharpen our skills to find logic errors.

As we mature as developers, finding logic errors and incomplete solutions becomes our way of life. It defines us.

But our engineering strength is also our social weakness. Countless times as engineers you will find yourself interrupting someone telling a story, an anecdote or a joke to correct a false assumption, provide an extra fact that the narrator overlooked, give a bigger perspective on the problem or point out that the joke premise is actually flawed.

You can identify this behavior because the person interrupting usually starts with the phrase "Well, actually...".

As a kid, I thought this was my strength. I knew a little bit more than my sister. So whenever she would say something, I would quickly interject something like "Well, actually, the origin of the word Shih Tzu means Lion Dog and has nothing to do with the dog's digestive patterns".

Yes, I was really fun to hang out with.

As a child, I wondered why my sister could make friends and keep them so easily, while I could not. It would take me years to discover this. And now, as a public service I am sharing with you, my fellow geek friends, what I learned.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

figsfiggyfigs

That was really quick to read, and equally pointless.

Permabanned

Most of us are not getting laid in an effort to eventually get laid. It's what humans do....

I dunno...I'd probably sleep with a guy like that. He'd have interesting things to say and it beats having to lug an encyclopedia around everywhere.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'd kill someone who acted like that all the time.

MBTI
    INTP

Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I thought I wasn't getting laid because I refuse to shave and don't really keep up my appearance at all.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?
    But the temptation never fully fades! I still get the occasional jolt of:

"Um, actually, you mean Frankenstein's monster"
    or
    "Technically, that isn't ironic, it's coincidental"

When around friends I tend to still say it, but I say it as nerdily as possible and toss in a very breathy, arrogant fake laugh. I figure making a joke of it isn't so bad. After all, "well, actually" is pretty much Larry David's whole shtick on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The reasons I am generally not getting laid are legion. Fortunately, that doesn't bother me too much, like it would people who refer to having sex as "getting laid," or write articles online to help others "get laid."
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    But the temptation never fully fades! I still get the occasional jolt of:

"Um, actually, you mean Frankenstein's monster"
    or
    "Technically, that isn't ironic, it's coincidental"

When around friends I tend to still say it, but I say it as nerdily as possible and toss in a very breathy, arrogant fake laugh. I figure making a joke of it isn't so bad. After all, "well, actually" is pretty much Larry David's whole shtick on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The reasons I am generally not getting laid are legion. Fortunately, that doesn't bother me too much, like it would people who refer to having sex as "getting laid," or write articles online to help others "get laid."
    Ah, yes, that's true. I generally try to let corrections slide unless I know it's a friend who would be embarrassed about getting something wrong. I do tend to correct pronunciations with close friends just because I don't want them to sound dumb when they repeat it in front of others, but I try to be as casual about it as possible. Luckily, as a professor, I get my correcting-people fix in during working hours. Score! And they LIKE IT.
    Something Witty

Permabanned

I don't know, I don't have the urge to correct people because most times it really doesn't matter if they are right...because they aren't trying to be right.