First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The nicest thing Simulated World ever did for me was to confront me about my ignorance.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?
    Not all. A significant percentage (mostly the males of the species) take another decade or so. A small fraction never do - fortunatly they rarely reproduce or become supervisors.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    Not all. A significant percentage (mostly the males of the species) take another decade or so. A small fraction never do - fortunatly they rarely reproduce or become supervisors.
    The same could be said of most males... they dont really mature until they hit closer to 30 and start getting a taste of mortality as friends and family begin to die off and they begin to age a little and realize they want to be a force for the positive in life rather then tearing shit down.
    Ground control to Major Tom

I dont do that and I still dont got game so it cant be the whole of the story.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Don't most INTPs grow out of this at least by the time they're out of college?
    Shit, damnit, ARGH!

...I knew I should've gone to college.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is about social intelligence. I used to be the perfect bad example of this article:

Insecurity and Social Intelligence / Vibing

As social animals, we’re designed to enjoy socializing and small talk. Not only do they allow us to form important social bonds and alliances with others, but they also help us identify who is, and who is not, a member of our group.
    When people are communicating according to these social rules, they act as a social lubricant – the end result is a pleasant flow of conversation and ideas – what we call a vibe.
    People who don’t understand these social rules or don’t follow them are doomed to come across badly, even if they’re a totally worthwhile or good person. Why? Because people normally break the vibe when they’re acting on insecurity.

Let’s take the somewhat weird but very common example of ‘rhetorical sequencing’.
    James is very excited about a great deal he got on an awesome jacket, and wants to tell his friend Bob:

Good Example
    James: Hey man, you’ll never guess how much I paid for this jacket
    Bob: Wow, uh … $200?
    James: No man, it was $60!
    Bob: Awesome! Good job, it looks great

Bad Example
    James: Hey man, you’ll never guess how much I paid for this jacket
    Bob: Oh, you got a deal. I guess $40 then
    James: Uh, actually $60
    Bob: Well that’s not bad I guess
    Bob here is telegraphing insecurity. His subconscious thought process was: “I’ll show James how smart I am, and how I picked up that he got a deal on the jacket. Then I’ll have shown him I passed his test!” His desire to be right, his desire to try and give an accurate guess to make himself look smart completely killed the vibe.
    Secure Bob realises that James got a deal, but also realised that he wasn’t asking a real question – something lower end, but still high enough that even if the guy didn’t get a great deal, he’ll still feel good.

Let’s take another example. James and Bob are vacationing in London:
    Good Example
    James: Wow man, check out that building! That rocks!
    Bob: Whoa, that’s huge!

Bad Example
    James: Wow man, check out that building! That rocks!
    Bob: Yeah, that’s cool. But dude, you should see New York. New York KILLS this place
    The person who’s not vibing correctly is failing to understand something: the purpose of the initial comment isn’t debate – it’s building a social vibe. The content isn’t the communication – it’s the veneer over the subcommunication that says: “Let’s have a nice time, build rapport with each other, and chill out”. Bob is instead using them as opportunities to try and make himself look good – killing the vibe entirely.
    http://www.growyourgame.com/articles...igence-vibing/

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    When around friends I tend to still say it, but I say it as nerdily as possible and toss in a very breathy, arrogant fake laugh. I figure making a joke of it isn't so bad. After all, "well, actually" is pretty much Larry David's whole shtick on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Interesting. We can't shut out our Ti, but there is still a fun way to correct people.
    Problems arise when:
    a) this behaviour it is more about ego than logical consistency
    b) the other person is intellectually insecure and would rather remain wrong than face the fact that he/she might actually be wrong.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I may be one of these 'well actually' people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Interesting. We can't shut out our Ti, but there is still a fun way to correct people.
    Problems arise when:
    a) this behaviour it is more about ego than logical consistency
    b) the other person is intellectually insecure and would rather remain wrong than face the fact that he/she might actually be wrong.
    I have encountered B before for sure. I generally welcome correction when I am (factually) wrong, so it doesn't always immediately occur to me that sometimes people would sacrifice accuracy for appearances.

A... well, it's not generally a factor, but it may arise when dealing with someone who is being rude, condescending or inconsiderate. One night I was hanging out with friends and one brought this guy who was so arrogant and self-assured all the time. He let you know that he felt he was intellectually superior to you. At one point in the night, I corrected hum by noting Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were both Sunni. Not only did I care that I did so without sarcastic and semi-dickishly, I was glad I did.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

What if the person you are "well, actually"ing is the one who's insecure about their intelligence and constantly spouting and trying to defend inaccurate statements with obvious origins?

"Hey guys did you hear? It's official: Pluto is not a planet! Fuck you, Pluto!"
    "Yeah, totally! Lucky for Pluto though, the vote was rigged, so nobody's going to actually recognize it and everyone who matters will forget it happened."

"Your blood type is O? Say, you don't eat much meat! That must be why you have so many problems with digestion! I'm going to add meat to your shopping list."
    "Well, actually, the blood type diet is not based on any scientific studies which have ever been published despite the author's claims that he has loads of evidence, and also my digestion is definitely correlated with stress and is actually better when I eat less meat. I appreciate the thought, though."

"Ah, you gave me a Quartz? It has healing properties! And can make rain fall! That's not too good since we have been having way too much rain lately."
    "Um...maybe... I was thinking it's supposed to amplify clarity of thought, since I remember you mentioning you feel like you have brain fog sometimes so I thought this might help when that happens. It's shaped like the first letter of your name, too!"

Like, sorry guys, but..
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    "Ah, you gave me a Quartz? It has healing properties! And can make rain fall! That's not too good since we have been having way too much rain lately."
    "Um...maybe... I was thinking it's supposed to amplify clarity of thought, since I remember you mentioning you feel like you have brain fog sometimes so I thought this might help when that happens. It's shaped like the first letter of your name, too!"

Like, sorry guys, but..
    lol @ that example. You must have mineral anxiety.

As a side note, I can't believe people still bitch about Pluto not being a planet... Pluto doesn't deserve to be a planet.
    I have a (new) blog here.

You should do these: JohariNohari