User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default Irrational Fears

Is it possible for you T's to have irrational phobias? How do you come to terms with them, if so? And what are they, and how did you develop them?

Mine:

Pit bulls - got attacked once, almost lost a limb. Two other times, I got lunged at. Now I cross the street to avoid them. No other breed has ever been aggressive towards me.

Dentists - three very very bad/painful experiences. Think: root canals without anesthesia/novocaine. Incompetent student dentists...

Raccoons - they're just violent little fuckers. Never encountered them closely, but they travel in gangs and will fuck you and your dog up. Evil...

I have a dentist appt this month, and I am already shaking at the thought of it. I don't think a T would have this problem.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Likes geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    INTj

Height - or rather, the possibility of falling. If I had a reliable safety harness on, I would have zero fear climbing a skyscraper. But without one, I am hesitant to lean over my 20 storey balcony.

Arachnids - and other fast moving indoor bugs. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but I think they look repulsive. Every time I see your avatar, I get the urge to kill something that has more than 4 legs.

MBTI
    INTj

Bears.

Need I say more?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

The fears mentioned in this thread so far are not particularly irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    The fears mentioned in this thread so far are not particularly irrational.
    I'm sure, though, that you could rationalize even the seemingly most irrational fears somehow.

And I suppose "irrational" is a matter of opinion and perspective, too. A dentist might think your fear of dentists is irrational ("yes, you've had three bad experiences, but that doesn't mean the next one will also be bad...most dentists are quite capable and besides, you were with students when the bad things happened"), while someone else (perhaps they also fear dentists) might say "yes, it's quite rational that many bad experiences will lead you to fear dentists like that. This is not an irrational fear."

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm not a T, but my INTP friend's biggest fear is being shot in a drive-by....
    Which is pretty odd, considering we have like the lowest crime rate in the states, practically.
    Your epidermis is showing. <3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I was irrationally afraid of large dogs for a while. Now there's not really a material stimulus that I can't overcome with willpower. I do choke up when talking to pretty girls.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Nearly all of my fears are fully rationalized

My trouble with heights borders on the irrational.... even if I'm nowhere near falling off the edge, being more than 15 feet above ground without any sort of enclosure or harness makes me uncomfortable. But it is all about the absence of restaints. I could be on a rollercoaster out into the void of the sky and not have a problem at all (the problem would be walking to such a coaster...)

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I seem not to have "normal" fears either....I love spiders, I let them crawl around me and name them "Charlotte" (and then toss them on the ground so they can get to work eating the bugs that really are disgusting). Heights I love. Skydiving fiend and love walking on the edge of steep cliffs (I have good balance).

But raccoons and dentists?

mommy!
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I have pretty significant phobia about biting off my own tongue. I have no bad experience or particular memory to anchor this fear to, but I've had it for almost as long as I can remember. It's most acute when I'm driving, especially when making left-hand turns. I just imagine someone hitting me in my car while I'm making a turn, biting down, and losing my tongue forever. As a precaution, I always tuck my tongue behind my teeth whenever I'm driving, and I never talk when a turn is being made even if I'm not behind the wheel.

I worry about sharks when I'm swimming. This includes the pool in my backyard which is chlorinated and 5" at its deepest.

I have another phobia about people with massive deformities. Not PC, but I don't play that sideshow shit. I can't watch the bulk of the shows on TLC. I have never and will never watch 1)The Goonies, 2) The Elephant Man, 3)Freaks, 4)The Fly or any other freaky humanity type films. Like I said: fully aware that it's not right, and they're just people. But fuck that shit.

That about covers it for me. Not bothered by heights or spiders or close spaces or anything like that. But you put me in a wave pool with a conjoined twin and I'd lose my shit.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth