• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Irrational Fears

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another one - going down stairwells alone in high-rise building. I always worry that somebody will pop out from behind a pillar, etc and chase me down the stairs with a knife, and I'd of course stumble and fall, etc etc.

Another is some random stranger in a crowd suddenly shoving me onto the railway tracks in front of a moving train.

Another is having someone coming up and throw acid at my face.

Another is someone shooting at me as they drive by, for the LuLz while I'm walking. Especially if I'm wearing red or blue (considered gang colors).

Or walking by a van and being snatched and dragged inside.

Oh. And someone infecting public restroom toilet paper with HIV semen on purpose.

Those aren't really strong fears, just random ones that pop up when I'm in an extra-paranoid mood.

shoshana

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
i have a reoccurring dream where i feel a loose tooth and i pull it out. i then proceed to pull out all of my own teeth.

i've had a similar dream about hair as well.

i wake up terrified and i end up staring into a mirror for 20 min at some ungodly hour

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think my fears are THAT irrational or uncommon, but anyhow.

I can't stand the sight of blood, especially on people. I don't faint or anything, but it just makes my skin crawl and heart pound like crazy. This is why I refuse to watch gore and most scary movies. :cry: Once I saw a bloody corpse from a car accident, and for a while I couldn't sit still on any automobile.

Also, dentists. I used to literally kick and scream whenever my mom brought me to a dentist (as a kid of course; nowadays I can manage to sit still, but I still become extremely anxious). The scent of dental clinics makes me want to throw up. Ugh. And the sound of drills... aaaahhhhhhhh!!!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mrcockburn's av isn't making me real happy. :dont:

Ai, god...you too, huh?

Well, you know one. Another is falling from something really high and I'm not even close to the edge.

I love to swim but getting water in my ear can send me into a panic.

Huge fear of choking. I will surreptitiously watch people while they eat, hoping they are not taking bites that are too large.

Accidentally inhaling olive oil.

Also with Tallulah about burning down the house in a similar manner.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I don't like anything about crocodile/alligators.

I really stress about deadlines - highly illogical in my opinion. I absolutely loathe myself for having this weird fear of deadlines. I think it encourages procrastination.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i really hate feather dusters.
they're banned from my house.

and i'm always afraid of little pieces of foil
(like chocolate wrappings) falling into my
eye and slowly blinding me. i can hear it
scratching my retina, it sounds like nails
on a chalkboard.

makes me bend my neck to the side and stick
my ear on top of my shoulder.

shoshana

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
and i'm always afraid of little pieces of foil
(like chocolate wrappings) falling into my
eye and slowly blinding me. i can hear it
scratching my retina, it sounds like nails
on a chalkboard.

makes me bend my neck to the side and stick
my ear on top of my shoulder.

oh fuck that is the worst mental image of the morning. kthanks

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My irrational fear is anything with a stinger.

I stay calm in the face of spiders, ants, cockroaches,maggots, whatever bug you can think of. But if a wasp or a bee flies by, I will be absolutely paralyzed and unable to breathe until the wasp or bee has gone away. Hives are unimaginably terrifying.

Tornadoes scare me to death as well. I can deal with hurricanes. I can deal with lightning and thunder. But I've had multiple nightmares about twisters chasing me across the plains in the midwest or something.

Alright, so these aren't exactly uncommon fears. But they manage to be the only things that can really and truly scare me so much that I'm incapitated.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My name's Sinclair. I'm an [redacted] and I have an irrational fear of cockroaches.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My name's Sinclair. I'm an [redacted] and I have an irrational fear of cockroaches.

No, I'm sorry, but a fear of cockroaches is not irrational. It's TOTALLY rational. Those suckers be nasty!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
being touched by a plant with large leaves or a substantial stem... and I KNOW that's an irrational fear, but it doesn't stop me from running and screaming when they are in my vicinity :blush:

to make this an even more irrational fear, I grew up on a farm :doh:

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an irrational fear of throwing up and/or having stomach pain. My pain tolerance has been noted to be remarkable by other people...except when it comes to this sort of thing.

So irrational that it sometimes keeps me from eating and then causes said pain to happen. And among other terrible things like anorexia--Not insecure about my body image or weight, but I do worry about eating 'bad food' because of factory chemicals doing bad things to my body and digestive tract.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I'm sorry, but a fear of cockroaches is not irrational. It's TOTALLY rational. Those suckers be nasty!

Ugh, you won't believe how HUGE they can GET :ack!:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're right specially NTs..
I know some of them are like too afraid of specific things..
A 36 years old ENTP is afraid of the dentist and chocolates, he can have gummy bears and all kinds of junk food but never a chocolate because he was told as a kid that if he ever eat it he will be going to the dentist as a result.
He also afraid of hair gel because something bad happened to him the first time he applied it, so he thinks he should never do that..
And I also know two female INTJ who have irrational fears of various things and it's more like an obsession, like pain, health problems, even numbers and death..
Like she never pick an even number quantity out of anything, and she would argue with her husband if he ever bring an even quantity to the house, she would never accept that anybody talks about death and think if the doctor told her a bad news it's because someone was talking to him about death that day, and boxes are forbidden because they're a sign of death..
I find NTs that I know are collapsing so dramatically if anything goes wrong.. Just an observation.. Maybe because they sometimes are too analytical; I don't know to be honest..
I'm afraid of cats and dogs, specially dogs.. I had many bad experiences with them since childhood, so if I see any of them I just freeze and try not to freak out hahaha [emoji28]

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Is it possible for you T's to have irrational phobias? How do you come to terms with them, if so? And what are they, and how did you develop them?

Mine:

Pit bulls - got attacked once, almost lost a limb. Two other times, I got lunged at. Now I cross the street to avoid them. No other breed has ever been aggressive towards me.

Dentists - three very very bad/painful experiences. Think: root canals without anesthesia/novocaine. Incompetent student dentists...

Raccoons - they're just violent little fuckers. Never encountered them closely, but they travel in gangs and will fuck you and your dog up. Evil...

I have a dentist appt this month, and I am already shaking at the thought of it. :( I don't think a T would have this problem.

Lol, T are not more rational or logical than F's. So first get that fallacy out of the way. Once you do that, realize that your subconscious mind cannot be shut off. It has sensed danger and it will continue to alert you. Very little of what you engage in on a daily basis is your rational systems 2 thinking. Rational higher frontal lobe thinking takes up too much energy is too difficult to constantly engage with. So most of the time you are on autopilot.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also have unhealthy obsessions with health and death, but I don't get too superstitious about it. It's more like I try to control it even though it won't help that much.