• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Irrational Fears

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Caves!! That's another one. I would NEVER go spelunking, because that's where thousands/millions of bats live.

Being swarmed by millions of bats while backed against a wall = not pleasant, I'd imagine. Never mind scorpions, plate-sized flying cockroaches crashing into my face, or any other unexpected critter...

Not to mention, bats are supposedly natural reservoirs for rabies - naturally present/dormant in 0.01% of all bats. That's 1/10,000...but still. Rabies is not fun...there are videos on youtube of people actually dying from it. Scary stuff.

There has also been cases of people contracting rabies by breathing in al the concentrated infectious vapor within a cave.

Certain parts of Texas would make me uneasy as well. (A daily million-bat "commute" in Austin, at least)

/paranoid rambling

Well sorry to make you even more parinoid but bats mean bat shit and bat shit may well mean Histoplasmosis - fungal infection of the lungs. I have two colleagues getting over that right now. It can take months and its not much fun.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well sorry to make you even more parinoid but bats mean bat shit and bat shit may well mean Histoplasmosis - fungal infection of the lungs. I have two colleagues getting over that right now. It can take months and its not much fun.

Oh, I've heard about that too. Too bad they pollinate/consume insects, otherwise it'd be nice to just exterminate all of those filthy/dangerous things. Why can't they clean and nice, like bumblebees? :/

Two colleagues you said?? Yikes. What do you guys do to put you in contact with bats? :ninja:

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Narwhals.

I hate narwhals. They freak me out. They look like fat retarded unicorns that stab people in the ocean.

So creepy.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a fear of X-Rays (not the radiation standpoint- just the xrays)
along with a fear of bones in general. I think it's called cartilogenophobia.

I can't recall any experiences that would have provoked the fear.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Narwhals.

I hate narwhals. They freak me out. They look like fat retarded unicorns that stab people in the ocean.

So creepy.

That is one I've never heard before and I confess never crossed my mind.

Interesting...

N

NPcomplete

Be glad you're not an ancient Egyptian criminal. According to a peer reviewed source - The Mummy (my high school peers and I reviewed it on Amazon.com) - standard punishment was to have your tongue clipped out.

Probably so you can't say your name in the afterlife...so you'll be stuck roaming about. Or something similar...

As for irrational fears.. snakes. Need I say more?

T

ThatGirl

I have a horrible fear of symmetry. Things like the under cap of a mushroom, or scales on a fish, or any kind of skin flap (like a cut that leaves a flap of skin that should be attached hanging in the same shape next to the shape of the cut), umbilical cords, etc. This problem used to be so bad that at a Benny Hanna's type establishment, when they threw the shrimp on the grill, my lip started quivering, my eyes watering, started breathing heavy, and my head went completely numb.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a fear of getting stuck by myself in an elevator, or getting locked in a public restroom and no one knowing I was in there for a long time.

I also have a fear of not unplugging or turning something off that would cause a fire and kill my dog while I'm out, triggering a crapstorm of guilt and grief. That might be an OCD thing.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm afraid of my new external hard drive. It's 2T and looks exactly the same as my old one except in physical dimensions it's about 5 times bigger. Technology isn't meant to work that way. I've owned it for 4 days and all my other hard drives are in the red yet I'm too scared to plug it in lest some kind of singularity ensue. And I've seen Event Horizon.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
mrcockburn's av isn't making me real happy. :dont:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Also...

Centipedes. There will be hyperventilating and probably crying.
Wind Turbines - I'm not real fond of the big wind farms full of giant ones but I have gotten better. The worst ones are smaller, hooked blades when they aren't spinning.

windmill.jpg

Attachments

• windmill.jpg
    windmill.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
fears and phobias have nothing to do with the personality, rationality or emotion.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Also...

Centipedes. There will be hyperventilating and probably crying.
windmill.jpg

I hate those things: mindless killing machines. Fast and sneaky. I've seen some very large specimans in the tropics and those suckers aren't afraid of a damned thing (don't think they have enough neurons to even experiance anything akin to fear) and have no trouble going for a finger. And they sound, look, and smell disgusting when you smush them. :tongue10:

Luet

MBTI Type
INTJ
I fear driving in crowed and unknown cities. My orientation sucks and in europe cities aren't built in blocks. Add dozens of bicycles, pedestriens, trams, bus- and taxilanes, familiair local drivers with a loose driving style and unreadable steatnamesigns and my nightmare is complete.

In these situaties I find a calming effect in a public transport-pass

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always been afraid of getting a paper cut in my eye. It brings me to my knees in agony just thinking about it. I can feel it..... NARGHHHHHH!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I hate those things: mindless killing machines. Fast and sneaky. I've seen some very large specimans in the tropics and those suckers aren't afraid of a damned thing (don't think they have enough neurons to even experiance anything akin to fear) and have no trouble going for a finger. And they sound, look, and smell disgusting when you smush them. :tongue10:

:cry: