User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default INTPs reluctance to state the obvious?

I recall reading in one of INTP profiles that they dislike stating things they think are obvious, thinking that no one would want to hear it. I know that's often true of myself. I'm wondering if other INTPs relate to that?

Sometimes I have to step back and realize that what's obvious to me may not necessarily be obvious to someone else. I know when explaining things to people, sometimes, I've tended to skip steps thinking they would be able to reach that conclusion on their own.

I also like to be thought of as having original insights rather than rehashing something that's already been said or done before.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

It depends on how you define obvious.

There's truly obvious or there's 'me obvious'.

In the case of the truly obvious (e.g. the sky is blue, there are a lot of people, politicians are scum), rarely are they going to actually inform someone of something, but I do enjoy saying them to people just because I enjoy pointing out obvious things. I get some sick thrill from it. I don't do it in a spiteful way, either, just a fun-loving type of way.

As for me obvious, the subjective knowledge I posses that is obvious to me can be, as you said, completely new to someone else. I've said 'obvious' things to people and had them baffled that such a thing were obvious, and I've had them do it to me as well. I don't engage in bringing up the me obvious ones very often. I also have difficulty defining what is 'obvious' to me, so there's that. (Afterthought: I prefer to deal in the non-obvious matters of things.)
    I have a (new) blog here.

You should do these: JohariNohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My INTP dad has the opposite problem, but then he's OCD

In some cases, I imagine you're on the same wavelength with those who "state the obvious." But then there are people like my ESTJ brother, who state the sky is blue every now and then I call him Captian Obvious, but he prides himself on being very clear in how he communicates and people tend to appreciate that. I on the other hand am compulsively ambiguous. I cringe every time I have to spell something out, because it feels childish and I also hate to feel like I'm patronizing others. It's a crutch.

Eric B could weigh in here, cause I'm thinking it's probably a Supine thing. Both INTP's and INFJ's can be Supine and that could explain why we both hate stating the obvious, seeing as Supine's expect people to read their minds.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yes, I hate having to explain things that should be obvious, I notice this quite a lot when I am working someone in, in the company. At first I basicly just sucked at working people in, some people just need someone to tell them everything, or they just fail. I have since developed a tolerance for it, and now can state the obvious without being a sod about it. But I still don't enjoy doing it.

"Ok, so I use this button to search the records I want to print out. But when I found them, how do I print them?"
    "Right next to the search records button, there's a print button."
    "Ok, so do I have to click that button then?"
    Old days: "..."
    Nowadays: "... Yes. Anymore questions?"

Stuff like that. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Yeah, I find I tend to have that "problem" sometimes. I don't want to insult someone's intelligence by stating something I deem to be obvious, but sometimes the other person really doesn't know and, in a way, I'm insulting them by implying that "oh, you ought to know this: it's so obvious."

So I usually say it all. And if someone says "yes, I know that" in an annoyed way then I know what kind of ground I'm standing on. Insulting them the other way around (implying that they know when they really don't) can make you look like an arrogant tool. It's also not good for flow of information and discovery of new thought (since people are reluctant to let you know that no, they really don't know what the hell you're talking about and therefore aren't primed to offer any good/relevant input).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, it is usually annoying. But one thing that makes me better about it is that it is much better than see them screwing up with tasks that are supposed to be easy. The co-worker that doesn't ask questions and risks doing everything wrong is much worse.
    I also began to presume stupidity until proven otherwise.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

For me stating or restating the obvious is a waste of time and mental resources. However, I have learned that what is obvious to me may not be obvious to others - either because we don't have the same data or I have made a logical leap and am ahead of the discussion. So I've become more conscious about defining terms and conditions. However, I have noticed that sometimes defining terms and conditions isn't a cure all - as sometimes I have to go back and define and redifine those terms and conditions - and hope I'm understood.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Since the question has already been answered, I don't feel like reexplaining the obvious.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I often have this problem when talking to sensors. =/
    I 50 N 100 T 62 P 39

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It depends on the conversation. Like the other posters, I have learned that what is obvious to me is not to others. I tend to get more annoyed if there has been information previously shared about the subject.

I'm also reluctant to say anything because I myself have asked questions about the "obvious" and been totally embarrassed over it. Usually in the setting where I don't have time to feel (hands on) my way through a problem or system and need to ask something right away. Hateful...