• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are there any NT/NFs you would consider "stupid?"

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
This is related to the NT thread about avg. intelligence which interested me.

According to the few books I've read on MBTi, they claim intelligence really has nothing to do with type. I agree. However, I've always wondered if there any of iNtuitives you've come across that are just plain "stupid." My reason for asking is that there are many stupid people I've met from the SJ/SP category (as well as smart), but I don't think I've personally ever met an iNtuitive on that level (especially the NT).

Now I don't mean "social" or "street intelligence," because if I did, clearly many of us would fall into that trap. But as far as descriptions for the four temperaments go, there is obviously a bias toward iNtuitives because they wax on-and-on about how "creative" and "intelligent" we are (most likely, because iNtuitives write these books, lol). Personally (relating to the previous thread), I think I'm reasonably intelligent and creative, but not as brilliant and groundbreaking as some of the descriptions I've read of NT. There are many times where I prefer things to be simple and non-complex.

Anyway, I mean in the most general sense of the word of "stupid," whereas one is consistently making logical errors that a person of average intelligence would not have made otherwise, or where one has genuinely tried their hardest in grade/high school and failed. I can give more examples, but I'll make the claim that everyone knows what I am talking about.

G

Ginkgo

Anyway, I mean in the most general sense of the word of "stupid," whereas one is consistently making logical errors that a person of average intelligence would not have made otherwise, or where one has genuinely tried their hardest in grade/high school and failed. I can give more examples, but I'll make the claim that everyone knows what I am talking about.

INTJ123

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup, I remember this INTP guy was here on the forum for about a month saying how he had 7 or 8 girlfriends or something. It's not that I was jealous or anything (maybe a little bit... No, not really. :p ). But his posts were just so full of shit, it was actually kind of hilarious. The judge is not out on him being an INTP (dont see how he could've been, juggling so many girlfriends), but if it was true, I bet he was seriously delusional and had blow up dolls with day-tags on them.. I remember some NF's on the forum that definately would fit the 'stupid' tag. However, the ones that come to mind also don't post on the forum anymore (probably got banned).
My brother can be a real dumbass most of the time (ENTP), he has his moments but he's just totally stressed out and being stupid.

So, basicly I've met plenty, both NT's and NF's, that do not strike me as anything else but stupid.

But I do always try give them the benefit of the doubt, or leave them to their own devices.

sculpting

"one is consistently making logical errors that a person of average intelligence would not have made otherwise, or where one has genuinely tried their hardest in grade/high school and failed."

One could try hard in school but be ADHD or have a learning disability-thus not be "stupid". Can you give better examples of the logical errors you describe above? being an INTP, you'll perhaps may note others who dont think in Ti terms to be kinda slow and illogical..thus you might consider them to be stupid, not understanding they are using different tools to reason with.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Quoting House here:

"Natural selection is not an infallible force."

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Intuitives will say that there are stupid intutives but they probably won't stop and consider that it might be them who is the stupid one. :happy2: It's always "those other intuitives over yonder" who are the stupid ones.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Stupid is always easier to see when it's farther from home, in my experience.

That being said: YES. Oh hell yes. And while we're on the subject, I've met many, many sensors who would make all you people out there with the intuitive superiority complex reevaluate yourselves.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I can think of plenty of time I acted stupidly and stupid is as stupid does. So I think you can find NTs that are "stupid" - but you'd probably find that a significant portion of them have circumstances that are interfering with their logical and analytical processes.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
'Type' is a preference. It has nothing to do with concrete skills. Being an NT doesn't automatically make you smart, just like being an NF doesn't automatically make you emotional or artistic.

G

Glycerine

One of the dumbest people I have ever met was an XNTP.... I wanted to punch him pretty much everyday I was forced to interact with him. There are others but he was the most memorable. lol. Of course, there are dumb people and smart people of pretty much every segment of the population though. :)

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
"one is consistently making logical errors that a person of average intelligence would not have made otherwise, or where one has genuinely tried their hardest in grade/high school and failed."
One could try hard in school but be ADHD or have a learning disability-thus not be "stupid". Can you give better examples of the logical errors you describe above?

No. I wasn't referring to people with a handicaps because that wouldn't be fair to class them like that.

I want to say something like basic math or english, but that could backfire into what I am trying not to say. How about questions like: "Does the earth revolve around the ___?", "What's heavier? 100 bricks or 100 feathers." (Ti might screw that up since I sometimes do poor on timed tests)

If it helps, I'll use personal examples of stupid people I came across in high school: lack common sense, low vocabulary skills, lack general knowledge, inability to connect the dots more quickly without being told a step-by-step process:

For example, I knew a girl from my high school job that when I taught her how to make hot dogs (simple process: oven -> set for 15 minutes -> bell rings --> take out, throw on grill -> setup buns), she still needed me to actually tell her to "take out" the sausages from the oven or else they will burn, throw them on the grill, and finally set it on the buns. When they told me to grill hot dogs, all I needed was the last step (setup buns - which I actually inserted during the 15 minute wait).

These are people I think are "stupid."

Anyway, this is the reason why I asked, because from the descriptions I've read in books, these^ attributes are clearly in favor toward iNtuitives, and I'm quite sure there are "stupid" iNtuitives that I haven't met, yet. But if they do fall under my category of "stupid," then they wouldn't/shouldn't be labeled under the definition of "iNtuitive." Does anyone else see this problem?

being an INTP, you'll perhaps may note others who dont think in Ti terms to be kinda slow and illogical..thus you might consider them to be stupid, not understanding they are using different tools to reason with.

Actually, the opposite. I sometimes think people think I'm a bit slow at times because I usually pause, mumble, or use too many words for a sentence, but when I write to them, it's like I'm a completely different person! I think intelligence is superficially tailored toward Te since they are a lot more...eloquent [on the spot].

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've definitely met iNtuitives I would not consider smart. Most have been ENFPs, but ENFPs are the iNtuitives I've come across the most IRL. I knew an INTJ who was not that bright. He was good at math (but not in any other academic area), but otherwise a bit slow, and completely out of touch with reality in a way that made him seem dull-witted over all.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
He was good at math (but not in any other academic area), but otherwise a bit slow, and completely out of touch with reality in a way that made him seem dull-witted over all.

Yeah, but I think that's part of being an INTJ (great logical skills; poor social ones).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, but I think that's part of being an INTJ (great logical skills; poor social ones).

It wasn't just social though. That's why I mentioned he did not do well in other academic areas.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, but I think with NTs in particular it can be less immediately apparent when they are stupid. I'm thinking of the ones who just fervently argue in circles that make no sense at all but their delusion belief in their own intelligence, tricks people into thinking they really possess it. Of course, before long, people tend to realise the truth.

rav3n

Isn't this where we're supposed to argue for pages and pages over the definition of stupidity, much like the definition of intelligence? :devil:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't this where we're supposed to argue for pages and pages over the definition of stupidity, much like the definition of intelligence? :devil:

Only stupid people would do that... ;) :D