• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ in a rut and wants input! (please and thank you)

Noir

Hey guys, wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having.

I graduated 4 and a half years ago with a degree in biochemistry. Due to certain circumstances such as my own stupidity and stubbornness I did not work in that field at all after I graduated. While in school I did teach a few labs but that was it. After I graduated, I didn't want to work for the shitty "biotech" companies where I live (a quasi-rural area) and so found my self working for non-profit organizations (children's organizations, women's shelter) etc. I did this for about four years and was laid off a few months ago. I am finding it difficult to stay here (suffocating) but also difficult to relocate to an area with more opportunities (SoCal or the Bay Area) for me. I find the gap between my education and my experience to be very discouraging as I don't think this looks good on my resume and it's not likely to get me a job. Also, I'm not too sure if I can handle grad school right now.

Furthermore, I should add that I also really really really can't handle or wrap my head around the idea of working for huge pharmaceutical companies or anything like that. I would rather do research or something innovative - not sure if my level of education allows for this, probably not. I'd rather make less money doing something awesome than more money doing something lame.

Working for non-profits means that my bank account isn't exactly overflowing. I would really really really like to just relocate and then find a job because I have to find a job but because of my lack of funds am not sure how to go about this. I am also afraid that if I do this I'll take a shitty job just to make ends meet and then end up working there for years again.

I feel like after I could get myself established/settled or whatever, then I could go back to school and get a graduate degree in biomedical engineering.

I feel like I am stuck in a rut. I've given myself bitch-slap after bitch-slap so all I need right now is advise (or a job offer, haha).

I would really appreciate the input of any NTs who may have faced similar experiences. Or not. Anyone, give me any input. I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Two of the exact same thread in different subforums. It is doubtful we make own little colonies in different subforums of typologycentral where people are of difference from one subforum to the next.

Noir

Two of the exact same thread in different subforums. It is doubtful we make own little colonies in different subforums of typologycentral where people are of difference from one subforum to the next.

That forum is careers related. This one is NT related. Different people can approach from different angle. Thank you. That was very helpful.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That forum is careers related. This one is NT related. Different people can approach from different angle. Thank you. That was very helpful.
Your welcome. Always willing to please. In actuality, I was writing up a post in hopes to be 'helpful' though I suppose I'm a little bit put off now. Maybe I'll continue it a bit later.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I should add that I also really really really can't handle or wrap my head around the idea of working for huge pharmaceutical companies or anything like that.

It appears as if you are "generalizing" the notion of working for a pharmaceutical company. With a degree of your kind, the horizons of career possibilities are wide.

You could go into the cosmetic field working closely with the big beauty designers in developing cutting-edge facial/skin treatments, work with pharmaceutical companies specializing in disease transmission containment/treatment, or become a junior researcher at a cognitive drug designer's facility learning about the deep intricacies of the human mind and how it can be safely artificially enhanced for the betterment of society.

Obviously your first position isn't going to be that fun, but you'll have your foot in the door. I believe that a person who is motivated by their dedication to a field of study will always succeed. Find where you heart lies in any specific field of pharmaceuticals/biotechnology, and pursue it vigorously.

In the absence of specificity, your choice of roads are too confusingly varied. Pick something you have a passion for, and if you don't have a passion for something - find something to ignite.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
It seems that you have alot of qualifications about what you'll do next with your life. My suspicion is you are going to compromise on something: go to work for a big firm, go tackle grad school, your afraid to jump to another area with little money.

When I get jammed up like this I try to set out a logical plan to achieve a realistic goal. No its possible that plan means I do something I don't really want short term - but its sometimes the price you pay to get where you want. As long as its short term and you make your next move more or less on schedule its survivable.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, I'm not too sure if I can handle grad school right now.
Furthermore, I should add that I also really really really can't handle or wrap my head around the idea of working for huge pharmaceutical companies or anything like that. I would rather do research or something innovative - not sure if my level of education allows for this, probably not. I'd rather make less money doing something awesome than more money doing something lame.

Working for non-profits means that my bank account isn't exactly overflowing. I would really really really like to just relocate and then find a job because I have to find a job but because of my lack of funds am not sure how to go about this. I am also afraid that if I do this I'll take a shitty job just to make ends meet and then end up working there for years again.

I feel like after I could get myself established/settled or whatever, then I could go back to school and get a graduate degree in biomedical engineering.
This is slightly buggering. Do you have any plans in the future to ever continue to grad school? I'd think if you have the slightest bit of inclination for it and have the financial means to pay yourself through it, go as soon as possible before it might become regretful. It is also a way of pushing yourself to research careers especially if you further it to a Phd.

Best get your biomedical engineering degree quickly and raise through ranks with one of the most interesting professions.

Being established and settled shouldn't be an excuse to keep the process of life moving. Living in a nice apartment with a decent paying job so your mind is relaxed enough to start your way into grad school will take time over time. Time is not worth wasting.

If you really wish not to do such, then try for intern jobs to grow in your field. Send your resumes to as many jobs openings you can find within your field and I'd believe showing that you've been working for non-profit organisations in the resume may be quite a plus. They may see that you've got greater dedication to your work and that you might not be in it for the money. Those who look more passionate about their work in difference to one's who don't would more likely be employed. So subtly adhere your resume to such things.