• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Could someone please tell me what the 'strength of preference percentage' means?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fixed title for ya.

I think it's the expression of an artificial dichotomy. It's an attempt to pretend like functions exist on poles, even though they truly don't. There's no reason you can't be high in Ne and Ni, but in MBTI, these attributes share an axis, such that more of one means less of the other. Don't take it too seriously.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ooooooooo shame that you live on the other side of the earth!!!:wubbie::D

Lindaxo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Thank you. =]
That has been confusing me for a long time.
So basically, theres no real difference between someone who gets 1% on everything and someone who gets 100% on everything?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If you get a really polarised score, you can bet that you are that preference, but it's not fool-proof.

Lindaxo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
So how do we REALLLY know what we are than? Is there a fool-proof test out there (assuming that all the questions are answered honestly)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
First, you should study the cognitive processes.

Take the test. Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Read about the CP's.

Estimate what type you are by reading about the preferences.

Compare the CP's you think you use to the CP's used by that type.

Eliminate possibilities..

etc

Se - extraverted Sensing
Experiencing the immediate context; noticing changes and opportunities for action; being drawn to act on the physical world; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing “what is”.

Si - introverted Sensing
Reviewing past experiences; “what is” evoking “what was”; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.

Ne - extraverted iNtuiting
Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts.

Ni - introverted iNtuiting
Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.

Te - extraverted Thinking
Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not.

Ti - introverted Thinking
Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

Fe - extraverted Feeling
Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others.

Fi - introverted Feeling
Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Cognitive Processes

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
First, you should study the cognitive processes.

Take the test. Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Read about the CP's.

Estimate what type you are by reading about the preferences.

Compare the CP's you think you use to the CP's used by that type.

Eliminate possibilities..

etc

Sorry, I don't rate this test at all. With all these tests there leads to quite a confusion as each one has an error rate which means if you do a whole bunch of tests you can end up with a whole load of types being yours.

Like, I can test INTJ INTP and ENTP depending on what test I take and on what site.

Personally, I think the questions on this site you reference are too vague, and don't specifically identify the defining traits that well.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
The number one rule with this stuff is that you decide what type you are. Tests can be used as tools to guide you, but are never absolute or definitive. You have to read all the different type descriptions and see which ones you relate to most to really understand what type you are.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Sorry, I don't rate this test at all. With all these tests there leads to quite a confusion as each one has an error rate which means if you do a whole bunch of tests you can end up with a whole load of types being yours.

Like, I can test INTJ INTP and ENTP depending on what test I take and on what site.

Personally, I think the questions on this site you reference are too vague, and don't specifically identify the defining traits that well.

The point wasn't to have the test tell you your type... it was to find out which cognitive functions you have a strong preference for, and to serve as a spring board for figuring out your type on your own, which is what I always suggest.