User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Social skills are like any other tool - they can be used for good, or for ill (manipulation).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

By definition of social, they are no longer social if used for ill.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

No, social means simply related to society and its organization. As with "great" the noun it modifies determines whether the overall thought is good (social justice) or bad (social disease). Since "skills" is neutral, the whole phrase is neutral.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Does anybody else get the feeling that characters portrayed in media as sociopaths... aren't?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I have known a few sociopaths. Dexter is a fair approximation from what I have seen, homicidal urges aside. Sociopaths don't socialize so much as they perform and play to a person's expectations. Again, speaking generally.

But, no, most of what you see on TV are more like psychopaths.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    INTP

What foolishness.

Psychopaths (those with Antisocial Personality Disorder) are poisonous, destructive people with superficial charm, superficial desires... one might say superficial everything. They are hollow and use their intelligence for nothing better than exploiting and destroying well-meaning people. They do not possess higher emotions such as empathy, love, or remorse. I am insulted, as an INTP, to be compared to such creatures. I am a person of highly developed thought and feeling. I also find it insulting that some people seek to associate being an INTP with a personality disorder! As though we are fundamentally flawed! As though our personality type might be written off as an abberrant disorder!

My intelligence and dedication are worth more than just to be used as tools to defraud luckless souls. I am also capable of comprehending how my actions might impact others both known and unknown to me. I possess human emotions and self-control.

I find this very question insulting, and my knee-jerk reaction is to wonder if it was asked by someone who'd watched too many Hollywood movies and thought serial killers were "kewl". Real psychopaths, not the ones played by Anthony Hopkins on celluloid, tend to be pathetic, freakish creatures.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mipp View Post
    What foolishness.

Psychopaths (those with Antisocial Personality Disorder) are poisonous, destructive people with superficial charm, superficial desires... one might say superficial everything. They are hollow and use their intelligence for nothing better than exploiting and destroying well-meaning people. They do not possess higher emotions such as empathy, love, or remorse. I am insulted, as an INTP, to be compared to such creatures. I am a person of highly developed thought and feeling. I also find it insulting that some people seek to associate being an INTP with a personality disorder! As though we are fundamentally flawed! As though our personality type might be written off as an abberrant disorder!

My intelligence and dedication are worth more than just to be used as tools to defraud luckless souls. I am also capable of comprehending how my actions might impact others both known and unknown to me. I possess human emotions and self-control.

I find this very question insulting, and my knee-jerk reaction is to wonder if it was asked by someone who'd watched too many Hollywood movies and thought serial killers were "kewl". Real psychopaths, not the ones played by Anthony Hopkins on celluloid, tend to be pathetic, freakish creatures.
    I wouldn't go as far as being totally insulted by the question. Asking myself that very question was what brought me to this page during self-analysis. Though the sociopathic mind is unlike the regular human mind, in as far as it characteristics are concerned, they're all carried quite the same qualities; just to a lesser degree. Imagine having 8 ingredients, with which you'll make a dish. The amount of each ingredient you use will change the final dish, and the mind is no different. What happens when you remove the feeling function altogether? Empathy, love, and remorse logically have to cease to exist. Our feeling function is one of the lowest amongst all the types, so the question isn't unreasonable. There are a large number of sociopaths that run corporations, governments and miiitaries. These are the people who decide to send thousands to war, cut jobs, and create the policies that shape our world. It may not seem pretty, but who better equipped to make the types of decisions that require a view separate from emotional thinking than those without the ability to feel? Not all sociopaths are knife-wielding maniacs, they're just devoid of feelings. I don't think myself as a sociopath, but I wonder if the feeling function can lessen over time, or if it can be changed at all.

You can't be much of a sociopath if you don't do anything about it. If that wasn't the case, then austistics would be sociopaths too. But no, they just have bad table manners.

I think the most realized sociopath I've known was probably an ESTP. He's serving a life sentence for murder. And that's only the one he was caught at. God knows what else he did. I remember the first time I met him, he wanted me to drive to some dude's house.. he didn't think he'd be home, but he wanted to shoot his dog. Just to say he was there (needless to say, but no, I didn't help him).

So yeah.. don't be so hard on yourselves. lol. If you're not actually doing anything like Dexter, then you're not Dexter.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Does anybody else get the feeling that characters portrayed in media as sociopaths... aren't?
    Well, obviously not. Because if they portrayed an honest-to-God, clinical sociopaths, they'd be getting calls in saying that they created a monster. As it is, the glamourized Hollywood versions already come under fire.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Well, obviously not. Because if they portrayed an honest-to-God, clinical sociopaths, they'd be getting calls in saying that they created a monster. As it is, the glamourized Hollywood versions already come under fire.

Joe Pesci in Good Fellas is a realistic sociopath. But then, that was based on a real character. The real one in the Henry Hill bio is crazier. Not only was a he a mobster, but apparently had a lot of morbid paintings in his house, and kept one room in particular for freezing victims that he could dispense of later. He thought he could do just about anything, and took pleasure in it. Even the mafia killed him themselves, because of some of this.

There's also the charming type of sociopath in movies that I think are like some real ones. Like Gordon Gekko. You know he's screwing you and probably has no conscience, but they're hard to outright call on it.