User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well, the OP made an explicit distinction, and since what I'm reading implies that he's infatuated I wonder why he ruled it out. In my experience, INTPs can become highly fixated and infatuated with individuals who really capture their curiosity; they almost become an abstract obsession. The obsession carries with it, certain emotional highs and lows which can feel like you're attached to this person. So from my perspective it seems like the same thing, and I'm just curious how he's separating the two.
    This time, because I recognized that I was experiencing both distinctly. In the past though, I had times where I experienced one or the other but not both.

Also, how is the curve in your avatar generated?
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well, the OP made an explicit distinction, and since what I'm reading implies that he's infatuated I wonder why he ruled it out. In my experience, INTPs can become highly fixated and infatuated with individuals who really capture their curiosity; they almost become an abstract obsession. The obsession carries with it, certain emotional highs and lows which can feel like you're attached to this person. So from my perspective it seems like the same thing, and I'm just curious how he's separating the two.
    It's a valid question. I've experienced this obsession myself. So... how do you tell the difference? Well I don't have a good quantitative answer but I do have a functional answer. First is time: I wasn't joking that infatuation has a short half life. Second, you don't find yourself getting bored - when I first meet somebody new that I become infatuated with there is generally an aspect of that person I'm fascinated with. With somebody I'm attached to - feel genuine affection for - I'm not focused on any particular facet of the person but more on the whole person; I find myself more or less constantly finding things about them I find interesting. Lastly I find a degree of relaxed comfort with people I’m attached to – I can be with them and not have to DO much of anything. Heavy conversations are not required.

I wish I could give you a better answer – a set of indicators that is unambiguous – but I suppose I haven’t thought on it enough. Experience has taught me a few things to watch for but I understand that is pretty small beer.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post

Also, how is the curve in your avatar generated?
    It's a depiction of how spacetime warps for an accelerating observer.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I was having this conversation just recently and I observed that infatuation lasts until somebody gets a piece of lettuce between their teeth or farts.

Is it highly tranisitory state with a half life of about a month. Attachment survives the revelation of flaws and even conflict (it ain't love till you have had your first fight).
    Or your first fart..."Oh, god s/he is human!" *faints and never recovers*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Or your first fart..."Oh, god s/he is human!" *faints and never recovers*
    Probably both.

I once had a lover suddenly become very sick with acute GI issues. As you can well guess this isn't the most romantic of experiences. She felt awful most of the night and I felt awful for her, I got virtually no sleep and she was really embarrassed.

If it was a crush it might well have been the kind of thing that would kill it. Since it was attraction the experience of being sympathetic to her distress and doing my best to take care of her was actually good for the relationship.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups