• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT - most brutal

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Watch what NTs you do that with... some react quite badly.

Actually I haven't "done" it to anybody intentionally yet. It was accidental that I even noticed this.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I tend to be wary of discussions that merge character traits with personality traits. The personality types determine cognitive processing. Brutality results from conditioning. People who are made to feel powerless by an oppressor and through choice and opportunity learn to relieve that sense of powerlessness by oppressing others, develop brutality. This process can be imposed on any personality type. The manner in which brutality is processed and expressed will differ based on which functions dominate and how they relate, etc. It may be that the NT, or any T will be more direct in their brutality. This may give the perception that there is an inclination. However, sugar coated brutality can be most painful as well. People are complex and it seems problematic to assign a character trait to a personality in this manner. What do you think?

I think you're right toonia. I've asked this question before: when is it type? Brutality and cruelty just like compassion and kindness aren't inherent traits to any particular type. These kinds of threads show me how little people know about MBTI and how often it's misapplied.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Most brutal? Brute force?
NT? :nono:

ENFJ. No contest. Even an ENTJs anger pales in the burning furnaces of an ENFJs gaze.

NTs are off handedly brutal yes but when they focus they are more like very skilled surgeons. Of course the fact that they ensure you DON'T sleep through the operation is quite worrying...

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Maybe we should not be asking which type is the most brutal - an absurd and spurious excuse to apply MBTI to something never intended.

Maybe we should be asking who is best at being brutal. I for one can come up with some pretty ingenius ways of getting you accross the River Jordan. It's getting around to doing it that's the problem...

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Maybe we should not be asking which type is the most brutal - an absurd and spurious excuse to apply MBTI to something never intended.

Maybe we should be asking who is best at being brutal. I for one can come up with some pretty ingenius ways of getting you accross the River Jordan. It's getting around to doing it that's the problem...

But then again: what is "brutal"?:happy:

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'd be most scared of an NF if they really got enraged. They see through interpersonal stuff sometimes even better than the critical-minded and problem-seeker-by-nature NTs.

I've been told by friends that when I get angry I drop bombs. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm conscious of my own insecurities and weaknesses, when I get angry I project that type of evaluation on to other people and attack their own issues. I could imagine it's particularly devastating when they're not even aware of their insecurities. This is something I usually regret doing, though it doesn't happen on any regular schedule. When it happens though, I lose any bearing of restraint and I hit where it hurts.

I tend to be wary of discussions that merge character traits with personality traits. The personality types determine cognitive processing. Brutality results from conditioning. People who are made to feel powerless by an oppressor and through choice and opportunity learn to relieve that sense of powerlessness by oppressing others, develop brutality. This process can be imposed on any personality type. The manner in which brutality is processed and expressed will differ based on which functions dominate and how they relate, etc. It may be that the NT, or any T will be more direct in their brutality. This may give the perception that there is an inclination. However, sugar coated brutality can be most painful as well. People are complex and it seems problematic to assign a character trait to a personality in this manner. What do you think?

My father is my first memory of where this type of attack comes from. Shame is a tremendously hurtful weapon that can amplify attacks.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
NF's play dirty... when losing a discussion they may turn emotional and irrational, however, I've always wondered whether that was a conscious tactic and thus wether it is rational after all...

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ

I agree with that. I don't think NT has the market cornered there. In fact, I think other unmentionable types are much more proficient at it. Perhaps stemming from what I see as a need to be "right."

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
No, I rather confuse NT's with sudden emotional outbursts. :ninja:

the only time that would have an effect on me is if i both cared about the person and the display was deemed genuine. after all, i'm very aware that i can forget sometimes that the other person may not see that i'm joking, or just trying to make a point, etc. so, when i see i've hurt someone i care about, i try to correct it.

otherwise, all it would get would be a rolling of the eyes, and/or laughter, and perhaps either my walking away from them, or my anger, depending on the situation and the person.

if it seems fake at all, my skin crawls, and all compassion goes out the window. sometimes, it's shown; sometimes, it's not, depends.

on the flip side, i can be very upset if i accidentally hurt someone i really care about and they don't tell me. this bothers me greatly.

for example, i just sent an email to a friend that i haven't spoken to in about six months explaining my actions/words on the last day that i saw them, just in case (and i said this to them), i never get to talk to them again. told them that the thought of them believing a memory of us that is false for the rest of their lives was driving me crazy. so, i explained my side of things just to make sure they knew the truth.

the truth matters a LOT. which is why emotional displays that seem fake annoy me. actually, if over the top, they can even irritate when not debating, but just talking in general.

rmrd

MBTI Type
INTJ
An NF can make you feel "bad," if you're prone to that sort of thing. Emotional attacks, and all.

An NT will make you feel worthless and stupid, though.

Just depends on which you consider "worse."

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
An NF can make you feel "bad," if you're prone to that sort of thing. Emotional attacks, and all.

An NT will make you feel worthless and stupid, though.

Just depends on which you consider "worse."

true. if i seriously don't think i should feel bad, then all the trying in the world won't work. if anything, it'll net bad results. especially if they (anyone, not just NFs) keep trying.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
:shock: An NT will make you feel worthless and stupid, though.

That's what I was getting at on another thread I think. Why do people feel that way? Is rationality that offensive? Do they need to be "right" to have a sense of self-worth? I'm not being flippant... it is really a curious thing to me.

persse

MBTI Type
?
NTs are quite difficult to argue with, so yes, they are "brutal" and can make you feel worthless or stupid.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
NTs are quite difficult to argue with, so yes, they are "brutal" and can make you feel worthless or stupid.

So then, "brutality" is in the eye of the beholder and not, necessarily, the intent of the "brutalizer?" Do you think their intention is to make you feel that way?... or is that a personal choice?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Do you think their intention is to make you feel that way?

When I was younger, yes, this often was my intention. Even if I acted very cold, cool and emotionless.

This was a narcissistic and very unproductive way to handle people. Again, a good argument is an argument that is shared and understood. Not taking into account the emotional state of the people you face is either a light autistic feature, or either a proof that you are not as clever and rational that you think you are.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
... ah... most of us learn that... eventually :)

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
brutal or intimidating isnt a word i'd use... serious in an admirably goofy way would describe it better

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:tongue: SPs- make others feel socially inept or dorkish!

:blush: yeah- my friends tell me that I'm intimidating because I'm apparently Machiavellian and have a vicious sense of humor- I don't make those jokes here because nobody can see my face and will probably take them wrong :doh:

*whatever doesn't care for the idea of herself being banned*

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
When I was younger, yes, this often was my intention. Even if I acted very cold, cool and emotionless.

This was a narcissistic and very unproductive way to handle people. Again, a good argument is an argument that is shared and understood. Not taking into account the emotional state of the people you face is either a light autistic feature, or either a proof that you are not as clever and rational that you think you are.

Well, I sure don't agree with that!... and I can back it up (but don't care to share the personal unless its needed) It is extremely hard for me to determine how an "F" for instance is taking what I say or how I say it. I wouldn't hurt a fly... and I mean that quite literally.. I have ants I can't kill right now and am trying, instead, to relocate them. I am always shocked when I've, inadvertently, hurt someone and care deeply (admittedly on a more intellectual level... but "care" none-the-less.) I find "Fs" to actually be the most "closed" of all types. Sure, they react emotionally but seldom open up enough for me to know what they're thinking/feeling on a personal level... how they're "filtering" what I say.. so how am I to know how they will take something? I feel like I'm walking through a mine field communicating with them.