User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    I have yet to meet a person I can objectively say is more intelligent than I am.

lol
    I've met a few, but the focus of their intelligence is in different areas. My granddad (ENTJ) and I get along very well because we both learn all kinds of stuff from each other. But mostly, I'm the same way... (I mean, there are people who have skills in areas I don't, but few whose ability to learn and the extent of their knowledge is around or greater than mine, which I believe primarily has to do with the drive for knowledge)
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post
    Emotional intelligence doesn't exist - it's an oxymoron. Before you immediately fling poo at me, read on.

Cognitive Intelligence, loosely defined, refers to one's ability to logically and rationally reason through things. There is some relatively objective standard there: either you can or you can't reason through something. Having high Cognitive Intelligence would say you are good at doing this.

Emotional Intelligence would then refer to one's ability to emotionally (i.e. subjectively) get through something. So, having high Emotional Intelligence would what? Say that you have a superior ability to feel? Sounds like something made up to justify an inability or lack of desire to control emotions.

Having high Emotional Intelligence cannot help with logically reasoning through problems. However, having high Cognitive Intelligence CAN help control, deal with and empathize with emotions.

What you see from NTs is usually that they see emotions as the devil and see dealing with them or acknowledging them as beneath them. These NTs tend to believe that emotions shouldn't exist and rationality is the be-all-end-all. Through maturity, however, NTs should learn not just that other people have emotions (and so do they! GASP), but also the importance of emotions.

So instead of making up a concept with which you can bash people over the head, call it what it is: the inability or unwillingness to acknowledge them.
    Emotional intelligence is not an oxymoron. There is a very good reason why computer programmers and engineers aren't social workers and counselors.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wait did you really say making up a term? Have you never heard of emotional intelligence? Are you seriously trying to speak with authority based upon something you've never heard of?

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Wait did you really say making up a term? Have you never heard of emotional intelligence? Are you seriously trying to speak with authority based upon something you've never heard of?
    Obviously, I was saying that YOU were making up a term. There's obviously no way I was saying that somebody made it up...
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Obviously, I was saying that YOU were making up a term. There's obviously no way I was saying that somebody made it up...
    Then you're poorly educated, sir.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Then you're poorly educated, sir.
    So you're as good at sarcasm as you are nuances in language, eh?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So you're as good at sarcasm as you are nuances in language, eh?
    No, really. You're not well-educated on the topic of which you speak. If you think I made up the term emotional intelligence, something in your education is lacking.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

No, really. You're not well-educated on the topic of which you speak. If you think I made up the term emotional intelligence, something in your education is lacking.
    I wasn't saying that at all. It is a made up term. I did not say that you made it up. Again with language.

Your predisposition to believe that I am wrong prevented you from seeing what I'm saying.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I wasn't saying that at all. It is a made up term. I did not say that you made it up. Again with language.

Your predisposition to believe that I am wrong prevented you from seeing what I'm saying.
    All words are made up. This is the nature of language. They are symbols of real things to facilitate understanding and communication. A group of people get together and decide that sounds or a collection of symbols represent a thing or a concept.

And apparently, again I say, even if you were being sarcastic in saying that I made up the term "emotional intelligence" you clearly are not educated on what the term means if you think it means nothing more than the ability to feel more deeply.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Emotional intelligence (EI) is an ability, skill or, in the case of the trait EI model, a self-perceived ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups.
    Hope this helps.

There are also various online tests out there, including this one. Not that you'll want to take one if you don't think the skill is important. Marm had a point about social work etc, by the way.

And as for the OP: I think I know quite a few NTs who would say that. For example, I know an ENTP who thinks I'm smarter than her; I even had to reassure her, by saying that intelligence is relative and there are many ways that she is incredibly intelligent where I am as stupid as stupid can get.

Seems like more of an ego issue, than a type issue. Or if it's a type issue, it's a type issue that can be, and often is, overcome.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!