User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    I have yet to meet a person I can objectively say is more intelligent than I am.

lol
    Not even a single one out of the two people you get to know on average per year?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's probably a tendency for NTs to think they're geniuses/intellectually superior and thus superior in other respects. As others have pointed out, though, I think a lot of them have a more balanced perspective than that.

I think some NTs might take the "I'm so intellectually superior, and you're all just nothing" (at an extreme) perspective to mask the fact that they feel insecure about social deficiencies, etc.

It's not so different from the NF tendency (well, certainly INFJ!) to go "I am never wrong about anyone, my people skills are flawless, etc." There seem to be a fair few who are like that - but then, there are also plenty who are aware of their deficiencies and flaws.

I wonder if Ni and Ne users are somewhat more likely to develop superiority complexes than S-types. It does seem to lend itself to an unfortunate "magical thinking" or "intellectually flawless" outlook. S types seem somewhat more likely to be down to earth and to use whatever skills and abilities they have to just get on with it - though I'm not denying that there are plenty of SJ types who think they're right about everything, etc.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I wonder if Ni and Ne users are somewhat more likely to develop superiority complexes than S-types. It does seem to lend itself to an unfortunate "magical thinking" or "intellectually flawless" outlook. S types seem somewhat more likely to be down to earth and to use whatever skills and abilities they have to just get on with it - though I'm not denying that there are plenty of SJ types who think they're right about everything, etc.
    I can see Ns, particularly introverted Ns, being more likely to be arrogant about their ideas and insights and things like that, but there are countless things one can have a superiority complex about. Jobs, wealth, physical attractiveness, accomplishments, their children, being self-sacrificing, following the "right" religion, being a "badass", any number of skills and abilities. What you focus on and feel superior about might have a fair amount to do with your type, but overestimating your abilities and overestimating the importance of things you're good at is very common among humans in general.

So it may well be that many NTs are vain about their intelligence, since that tends to be important to us. But we're hardly the only people who are prone to overestimating ourselves in some way or other.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I can see Ns, particularly introverted Ns, being more likely to be arrogant about their ideas and insights and things like that, but there are countless things one can have a superiority complex about. Jobs, wealth, physical attractiveness, accomplishments, their children, being self-sacrificing, following the "right" religion, being a "badass", any number of skills and abilities. What you focus on and feel superior about might have a fair amount to do with your type, but overestimating your abilities and overestimating the importance of things you're good at is very common among humans in general.

So it may well be that many NTs are vain about their intelligence, since that tends to be important to us. But we're hardly the only people who are prone to overestimating ourselves in some way or other.
    Yeah, I think this is pretty much accurate.

I think that on forums such as this you may see a bit more of what looks like a superiority complex from N types. It seems likely that this is due to many Ns feeling like they don't fit in all that well, or their skills are not really appreciated, in the real world.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    but I haven't seen even ONE NT admit that they were merely of average intellect or below.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    have you ever heard of an intellectually humble NT?
    So wait...are you looking for an NT who is actually of average intellect or below or just one who is intellectually humble (ie. may have above average intellect, but doesn't parade it around and rub it in people's faces)?

Just feel like you're asking two separate questions here...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    So wait...are you looking for an NT who is actually of average intellect or below or just one who is intellectually humble (ie. may have above average intellect, but doesn't parade it around and rub it in people's faces)?

Just feel like you're asking two separate questions here...
    I thought the latter. Rubbed it in good in my first post, I did. I am the humble master!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't know about that. Most NT's I've known IRL aren't like that at all. They are intellectual, yes. Intelligence (IQ) doesn't often come up in my everyday conversations. The ones I've known have shown to have a large wealth of intellectual knowledge (regardless of other stuff, problem solving, whatever, that appears to vary, though difficult to judge.) These are friends and former friends I'm talking about so naturally they are not going to have that childish superiority complex that we see here. (They wouldn't be my friends if they did. ) From what I've seen, they are just as humble as the rest of us, though clearly knowledgeable. I think that knowledgeable is the closest word I can use for them as a whole group. Hope that made sense.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think at some point most NT's realize that they are capable of a specific type of thought process that is very exploratory and open. I also think that many of them - in reaction to this realization - probably come across as vain because they believe they understand and accept complexity much more readily than the average person. There have been many times in my life when I've said to myself - "I can't believe how dumb people actually are sometimes". Let's face it: the majority of people in the world have a very hard time accepting thought processes outside their own limited scope of knowledge. It requires effort to push yourself outside of your own boundaries, and it's obvious that most people just ain't gonna do that. Part of the frustration is also that when you have people limit you with what they perceive to be "ideal" rules and ideologies (as many people are wont to do) that we do not react well to this. Even though most NT's are very "confident" in themselves, this is somewhat of a "face" because in reality, most NT's realize that their "confidence" is contingent on their knowledge and experiences. The more knowledge and experiences you acquire, the more you feel that you have an "edge" on your competition. But there's always the chance that something will come along and shake up your knowledge base.

I think what you find on places like INTJ forum is actually a dialogue of people discussing things while attempting to remain "detached" from a conclusion. It leads to an argument style where no one actually wins - because they shouldn't, but everyone is very confident about themselves. In an "optimal" NT world all conclusions are best guesses until proven otherwise. That leads to the crux of the superiority complex I think. NT's just believe that they are less likely to have a hard bias - a mental plane that is hard to reach because you have to remain detached. It is an echelon of development that I think we strive for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    SCOEI / Inquisitive

MBTI
    INTJ

You will see an NT admit they aren't very smart the same day you see an ESTP guy admit that he sucks at sport and an ENFJ girl admit that she's a selfish human being.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bcubchgo View Post
    I think at some point most NT's realize that they are capable of a specific type of thought process that is very exploratory and open. I also think that many of them - in reaction to this realization - probably come across as vain because they believe they understand and accept complexity much more readily than the average person. There have been many times in my life when I've said to myself - "I can't believe how dumb people actually are sometimes". Let's face it: the majority of people in the world have a very hard time accepting thought processes outside their own limited scope of knowledge. It requires effort to push yourself outside of your own boundaries, and it's obvious that most people just ain't gonna do that. Part of the frustration is also that when you have people limit you with what they perceive to be "ideal" rules and ideologies (as many people are wont to do) that we do not react well to this. Even though most NT's are very "confident" in themselves, this is somewhat of a "face" because in reality, most NT's realize that their "confidence" is contingent on their knowledge and experiences. The more knowledge and experiences you acquire, the more you feel that you have an "edge" on your competition. But there's always the chance that something will come along and shake up your knowledge base.

I think what you find on places like INTJ forum is actually a dialogue of people discussing things while attempting to remain "detached" from a conclusion. It leads to an argument style where no one actually wins - because they shouldn't, but everyone is very confident about themselves. In an "optimal" NT world all conclusions are best guesses until proven otherwise. That leads to the crux of the superiority complex I think. NT's just believe that they are less likely to have a hard bias - a mental plane that is hard to reach because you have to remain detached. It is an echelon of development that I think we strive for.
    It's not only the "scientific" approach to communication- it's the things you talk about to begin with. Many of the "NT" area of expertise are things that the average population wouldn't be interested in. (I'm not saying that nobody is interested in them, just general.) It could be seen as a threat or a difference to someone from types with greater percentages of people. And you're right, it is broader, it speaks less from experience in more from general knowledge of different things. (Was about to go on a major side track about trying to talk scientifically vs. speaking from experience, but i'll refrain!) It's really a different world all together compared to what most people are used to.

Edit: This site is a case of a few spoiling for the many as well. There are dozens of NT's on here who never seem to bring up intellect or intelligence at all. Or if they did, it would be from a true cool and detached standpoint, having nothing to do with them.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.