User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Default When you look at someone, do you SEE personality/behavior instead of physical attrs?

Does anybody else on here ever find they seem to almost literally see people's personalities when they look at them? For me, this manifests itself in a few ways:

- I often think people look similar to each other, but every S-type disagrees

- I can look at a picture of what is generally accepted as a beautiful woman and not find her attractive to me (though I do recognize the hormonal attraction, it is not influential)

- Similarly, I can see someone who people find ordinary as sublime/gorgeous

The only thing I can see here is that what I see when I look at people is much more closely related to personality/behavior/mannerisms than it is physical characteristics.

Anyone else find they do the same thing? More importantly: anyone else figure out with any more depth what it is they see in these cases?
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Strictly logically, it is impossible to see someone's personality. You are seeing effects of the personality, which can be trained. Socially adept people can make themselves appear to be different personalities, not maliciously, but as a social tactic to attract new friends. You can tell yourself you see their personality all you want, but until you get to know someone, it is entirely superficial, even if you're not just ogling breasts/male-equivalence. Certain personalities do show their inner colors through certain actions that can be read and inferred. For example, crossed arms or hands covering the mouth are usually a sign of shyness or discomfort, so you can infer that such a person is likely a shy person, but not necessarily.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Attraction is extremely subjective. And of course it's often tied to personality. See: demisexual, if you haven't already. But nearly everyone is attracted/repelled partially based on personality, to one degree or another.

If you think people look similar and others disagree, you're probably just using different comparisons. (they have the same smile! same chin! same facial structure! same makeup application! same eyebrow grooming! same eye twinkle! etc etc.) you can find a lot of random similarities between people, and you probably just focus on different things compared to your friends.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Yes yes yes, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen the same sort of thing... I've been known to see comparisons between all sorts of people. I've gone back to see if I can figure it out, and sometimes there is maybe one similarity, but it isn't present in other pairs I see as similar... To the best of my knowledge, my comparison criteria seems to be more about body language, muscle movement patterns, etc... But it's all at an intuitive level and I can't figure out what it is.

Another thing that comes from this is an intuitive understanding of personality (since some aspects of body language are tightly correlated with personality). Much to the contrary of Xyk's post, I can see a lot of information about personality just on a glance. This information is always limited to certain aspects of them, but isn't wrong as much as it is incomplete. However, saying that I'm not basing comparisons upon the personality traits I can see just because I can't see everything is like saying you can't base a comparison by someone's eye color because you don't know what color toenails they have. The broad statement that you cannot see someone's personality is patently ridiculous.

To Xyk: if you want to actually spend some time learning very useful information about body language, look into Paul Ekman's research. Specifically, see his books "Telling Lies," "Emotions Revealed," "Emotions Inside Out" and "Unmasking the Face."

To Randomnity: how do you pronounce that? Ran-dom-nity?
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

lol, in my head I pronounce it ran-DOM-nity, but it's a made up word so nothing is particularly valid.

I think you can tell a great deal about someone's personality by non-genetic appearance - as in the way they dress, the way they hold themselves, body language, facial expression, etc etc etc (but you have to remember that it's not infallible, just a generalization). Is that all you mean, or are you talking about something different?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Yeah, that is - except that I don't consciously pay attention to it... Something in my brain processes it all, compares it with other people I know/knew who were similar, compares it with other knowledge, and tells me as much as it can about their personality (including limitations of the profile)... But it doesn't tell me how it does this.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

haha, yeah. Brains are good like that. I think it'd be harder to think of it in terms of "crossing arms means this" PLUS "looking up means this" PLUS.... instead of just grasping the overall image and reading into that. I have a hunch that Ni would be especially good at this, although of course everyone does it to varying degrees.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I have a hunch that Ni would be especially good at this
    Oh yes. I've always seemed to be able to just naturally pick up on this. I can often walk into a room where nobody's speaking and all sitting in a perfect grid and pick up on the personality of the groups of friends and whatnot... I do know that some people are much harder to do this with than others, and I don't know why. From what I've read, this isn't that uncommon, especially with INTPs (Chameleons, which kinda requires this ability!)

When it doesn't work, I end up resorting to combination of all the sensory details I can capture (which is where Ekman's research comes in!). Much harder, and much more variable in its accuracy than the intuition (except that it works in places intuition doesn't...)

Permabanned

- I can look at a picture of what is generally accepted as a beautiful woman and not find her attractive to me (though I do recognize the hormonal attraction, it is not influential)

- Similarly, I can see someone who people find ordinary as sublime/gorgeous
    I can relate to this. I've thought women were perfect 10s even though I objectively rate them as average. But an "average woman" has the ability to be a perfect 10 in my book after just a couple minutes of talking to her...and I'm not talking about their personalities per say, just the way they carry themselves. Certain looks, facial expressions, clothes, mannerisms, etc etc...I'm not sure it's personality that I'm judging...I usually refer to it simply as "it"..whatever "it" is, it's sometimes easy to see who has it...

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Yes yes yes. I just say personality because I can usually tell the personality from it because it's all so interrelated/correlated.