• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTx, how did you act in high school?

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am currently in high school.

Am I social? No.

Do I have a lot of friends? Eh..I "know" a lot of people but consider only one or two to be my friend. Generally people like me, I think..I am told I am "helpful". I don't actively seek out people to talk with and I'm usually quiet because I'm thinking/reading/etc., but people will attempt to initiate conversation with me sometimes.

I would like to sit alone at lunch, but whenever I try to there are literally multiple people who come up to me that ask "Are you all right?" or ask if I'm lonely or sad. I believe they have their own selfish motivations for this, because if they did find out something it is likely that they would go tell their little friends because it's just sooo kewl.

My principal has told me to "smile" or "cheer up" multiple times when I was perfectly fine and having a good day. I have that typical permanent INTx scowl, I believe. My INTJ father does as well and my mother always seems to think we're pissed off when we're not (though she is an INTJ too and she did not inherit the permasowl).

Other than that, I don't know what to say. I'm not very involved in my school. The only thing I can say is that I'm President of the anime club (oh yes, I am very cool) and I lead it well enough.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I was.

Compared to other introverts at my school, I had a very large circle of friends. I seem to attract a wide variety of people, from the domineering athletes, to the intimidatingly weird sociopaths. I did have some "position" in my school though, which I think explains why.

My principal once called me the "ideal student" which I thought was pretty funny since I was an atheist in a Catholic school. :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Disinterested.

I wasn't social. But I did have friends just from sports/activities/random interaction.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
3-4 good friends in the classroom, 5-6 out the class.
Only superficial relation with others. I finished high school in mid '90, so no internet, facebook, cellular...
I was quite social but in the background.
High school was my best time ever. I hadn't "enemies". Good relation with professors. I was one of the best in the school, without being a nerd or a bootlicker.
My failure came at university...

G

Ginkgo

Only until my senior year did I get especially close to any one of my peers. I had some intimate moments with a couple girls that I didn't actually know but thought I knew.

All of my friends were "fringe" friends; only one self-typed INTJ did I develop a remotely close bond with but he's beamed up into INTJ star chaser mode. Probably won't see him again because I was far too much of an impulsive flake.

Hm. I was extremely apathetic during my earlier high school years. Unfortunately I don't know what triggered it. The family is self-assured that it was due to my grandfather passing away, however I felt more for the consequences on my immediate family.

Maybe it was because I became painfully aware of how inadequate I was, in general; instead of digging my incisors into challenges, I withdrew, virtually gave up, and treated life like it was a gag. Making people laugh and depreciating myself was my means of coping with the lack of closeness I have with people, and it still is.

Academically, I did poorly during earlier years of HS. I had no idea what was going on; I felt that my will had been stripped of me in that I was forced to attend classes I wasn't really cut out for in the 8th grade. Coupled with typical pimple pocked teenage angst and feelings of rejection, my mind was a vessel of pure emo energy, though I never wanted to be part of that subgroup of people.

Later, I got my shit together and reincarnated myself in a more mature version of my gradeschool self - just some kid who was remotely interested in sports, learning, etc. To graduate, I was faced with a titanic mountain of work, which I centered my energies on and cut through in a way that would shine if my high schools recorded their history in the form of an epic poem. I would be slicing the nape of every classroom demigod from here to Mount Scholastic.

Then I met her, where I thoroughly studied my first verse in pain.

melodic_notes

MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't have very many friends throughout high school, though I believe I could also attribute that to moving around so many times. Going to four high schools makes it difficult to make and keep friends, especially as an introvert.

I was more social than usual at my second high school. Maybe it was because I was there for the longest time (two years as opposed to one or part of a semester like the others), and the school was on the smaller side, allowing for a more intimate environment. I was really active in extracurricular activities, and was able to meet a lot of people similar to myself and somehow got along with others that weren't. I was very comfortable there.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
HS for me was a pretty miserable time for me. However, I was close to my brother (1 grade behind), had two reasonably good friends and even managed to have a serious GF in my Junior year. It was a pretty awkward relationship but I did learn a bit.

I drank too much and was pretty angry. School bored me – I found I enjoyed learning by reading on my own much more than sitting in class. In my last year I just decided to work hard, get out and have what fun I could. I still drank too much but I suppose I enjoyed it more.

Getting out of HS was a relief. I had a miserable academic record, one or two decent friends and a lost virginity to show for four years of my life. I went into the army (which is another story) and, because of or in spite of that (you pick ‘em), in the end life turned out pretty well.

Within

Permabanned
I was a cold glass of malevolence that people couldn't drink deep enough out of. I didn't have any real free time friends, but I ran with a wolf pack while on school grounds. I hated every second of every day.

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It took a while for me to make close friends in high school. I wasn't very social at all (never went to parties, rarely went to dances, and I was oblivious to the social lives of most of my peers). Then again, I was very friendly with some of my classmates, and I never felt like a complete loner. I was nerdy, studious, bookish, etc, but I always had people I could talk to if I wanted to socialize.

In the middle of my junior year, I found a group of friends that I "clicked" with. We had similar interests, and we made each other laugh all the time. All of a sudden, I started spending time with them outside of class, going to movies, hanging out, etc. It was lot's of fun, but I was always primarily focused on academics (which didn't take much effort for me, so I was lucky in that respect).

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always had a few close friends, and we had some good times. Never did parties or anything big, we did have gang wars over lunchtimes, that was good fun throwing rocks at each other and fighting over benches :D. I was happy enough with just a handful of people... but really, it was a small school, there weren't that many people in the classes anyway.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't really buy into the whole concept of High School being this life altering experience that I could later reflect upon as the apex of my life, thus I had very little interest in participating in extra curricular activities or getting too heavily involved in the culture; I played the stereotypical cliche disinterested, cynical, High School douche canoe, counting the days until graduation, role. Like anyone else, I had my circle of friends, which looking back I'd probably consider more along the lines of acquaintances, but at the very least I was able to forgo eating my lunch alone while wedged between the vending machines.

How I acted depended on the environment of the classroom. If I shared classes with my friends, I was the sarcastic practical joker with a bit of a habit of doing and saying things that would get myself into trouble, whereas in other classes I would just keep to myself and participate as little as necessary.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was actually surprisingly social in highschool. I had an easy time making friends, not too many but more than a few. I suppose I was just very accessible and likable to people.

But at the same time, I clearly did not put much stock in the relationships I had back then since none survived the all-work-and-no-play-makes-fluffywolf-a-dull-boy phase.

I never really actively sought out friendships and such though, they sort of just came to me instead. Now that I don't meet people with similar interests anymore, they seemed to have stopped coming. :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was "nice," high grades, was in all the music programs. Never really got into conflicts with people. I was selected as "Choir Member of the Year" my senior year, which shocked me because it was an award solely voted on by the other students; I had no idea people even would think of me, even though I was very active.

While I was seemingly liked by everyone, I didn't feel very noticed. I had about 5-6 people I would spend time with at school, etc., and maybe 2-3 I did things with outside of school. But none of them are in my life now. The best friends I've ever had, I didn't find until college and later. I felt pretty alone and like I didn't fit in. I don't think I'd ever want to relive high school again, not unless I was the me I am now and remember all that I've learned; some of my isolation was my own perception, I know now, and reaching out was not even something I understood well.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was "nice," high grades, was in all the music programs. Never really got into conflicts with people. I was selected as "Choir Member of the Year" my senior year, which shocked me because it was an award solely voted on by the other students; I had no idea people even would think of me, even though I was very active.

While I was seemingly liked by everyone, I didn't feel very noticed. I had about 5-6 people I would spend time with at school, etc., and maybe 2-3 I did things with outside of school. But none of them are in my life now. The best friends I've ever had, I didn't find until college and later. I felt pretty alone and like I didn't fit in. I don't think I'd ever want to relive high school again, not unless I was the me I am now and remember all that I've learned; some of my isolation was my own perception, I know now, and reaching out was not even something I understood well.

I never really felt noticed much at all either (Well, there was this one time, but that was just some practical joke putting me in the school's spotlights), but I quite liked that myself, the not being noticed part, I have mixed feelings about the time I was put in the spotlights.. :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never really felt noticed much at all either (Well, there was this one time, but that was just some practical joke putting me in the school's spotlights), but I quite liked that myself, the not being noticed part, I have mixed feelings about the time I was put in the spotligts.. :p

Yeah. Well, I think if my home situation had been better, where I didn't feel invisible all the time there, I wouldn't have had such a need to feel like people knew I was alive in school. For many years I felt like a ghost, which was a step beyond what I really wanted/needed. Things seem much different nowadays, with me being in a much more stable place. ALone time is good for getting things done.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. Well, I think if my home situation had been better, where I didn't feel invisible all the time there, I wouldn't have had such a need to feel like people knew I was alive in school. For many years I felt like a ghost, which was a step beyond what I really wanted/needed. Things seem much different nowadays, with me being in a much more stable place. ALone time is good for getting things done.

Hmm, I have always felt and still feel invisible in my family situation, in a sense.

I think there's a big difference in being an INTP guy or girl at tha age though. 'Silent' girls are much more socially pressured, especially at that age. Whilest the 'silent' guy type is generally left alone. :p

At least I remember I had a lot of freedom in highschool, people generally left me to my own devices, 'my way was okay'. There was little pressure. And I didn't have a trouble studying or anything like that either.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found myself unlike most of my schoolmates. I had no real friends to speak of, but was on collegial terms with many people in my own classes, and in the extracurriculars I joined. At least I was no longer picked on much, as I had been in elementary and middle school. At lunch, I never went to the lunchroom, but hung out in the music room with a few other kids on the fringes. We ate together and played piano for each other. My schedule was completely full, so no study halls or other unscheduled time to deal with. I came to resent, though, how inefficient the school day was. I added up the minutes once, and determined that only about 55% of the school day was spent in actual learning activities.

Overall, then, I focused on my studies, excelled in all my classes, and was respected by my teachers. I consistently set ambitious goals for myself, and met them, both in and out of school. I would have liked to socialize with like-minded/valued people of similar age, but none seemed available, and I saw no point in most of the things my schoolmates pursued in their free time. By high school, I was able to enjoy the company of the adults in my life more, especially some neighbors who became like an extra aunt and uncle.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am currently in high school.

I am somewhat social, originally I developed friends or got in a group or "wolf pack" as another poster put it more out necessity than want, it attracts attention if someone is to eat alone and not have friends, its annoying. I have a somewhat large amount of acquaintances or "friends" I consider very few of them to be my actual friends because they know actually nothing about me and dislike me acting normal. Many of my "friends" consider me their "best friend". I officially met my best friend freshman year, he turned out to be an intp. I sat with a group of somewhat outcasts goths and stoners but the group dissolved when I moved. So I found a geek group to fall in with but i would more likely be considered a jock.

I had a somewhat serious girlfriend who's type im not sure if I know, she turned out to be a compulsive liar and cheated though, so that was an experience. I currently have a girlfriend but am becoming disinterested because all she wants to do is jump on top of me.

I am involved in some extracurricular, (like rock climbing, singing).

My grades are good except for language classes, the bane of my high school classes. When people are not to afraid of me they tend to ask me for help, this is most prominent in math.

I am horrible with making new friends.

I think I am generally liked or people don't tend to have an opinion of me. I like intimidating people when they are stupid or annoying me, I am no longer picked on like I was in elementary school, now people tend to fear me (this is pretty much contradictory to people generally liking me, i am aware).

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how did you act in high school?
I didn`t..

First year was pain. Second year on a different school was ten times better. Fewer friends the second year tho.