First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjourney View Post
    Do you think that it's odd that became good friends despite obviously being at radically different stages in our lives, and being at different maturity levels? Would you befriend an significantly younger ENFP of the opposite sex with ages such as these? What does this say about the INTP and the ENFP in this situation? Does it matter; is this far too much speculation with the little information I've presented?
    Not enough information to provide a clear explanation. However, I will suggest two things.

You were the younger of the two and probably looked up to him. You are probably more advanced socially, he less advanced -- so in terms of social ability, you might have been on par and you still might have even been providing him with someone he could not achieve on his own. (You'll see this often also in terms of who male INTPs marry: partners who can carry the more social aspects of adulthood not just within the marriage but when interfacing as a couple with the rest of the world.)

You were also probably pretty positive, an avid learner, asked lots of questions. One of the typical "roles" that the INTP falls into is sage. He likes to impart insights and information, it's a natural character traits; and I'd assume you were just soaking it up. So the dynamic worked for both of you.

INTPs don't really seem to care much about age. It's whether your thinking is sound or not, and whether your ideas make sense. It doesn't matter whether you are 12 years old and unknown or 65 years old and world-renown. The ideas are judged on their merits. You're both NPs, so there will be less need to follow cultural restrictions based on age (IMO).

At the end of the day, my friendship with my INTP will not be swayed by what users post on here.
    Well, why would it be, though?

I don't personally really care what type my friends are (and I enjoy the fact that, when I list my best friends, they're from all different pools of personality type). I might suspect an easier time with certain personalities than others... but the bottom line is my ability to connect with an individual regardless of what type he or she is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I could see having a natural connection with someone that much younger - I connect well with most NP's. But, if I'm 25 and she's 16, she's automatically in the friend category. There's no way I'm acting on that connection in any way, shape, or form.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, why would it be, though?
    It wouldn't be at all. It's just that my Ne likes to cover all bases when I present info or have an inquiry. In the case that someone asked, "Why are you even asking what others think of this dynamic? If it works, it works" (or something along those lines), I wanted to address it.

Thanks to the both of you!

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Another thing that has really left me dumbfounded is when I became very close "inner circle" with 2 ENFP's - those 2 individuals ended up wanting more out of the relationship and when I didn't feel the same way about them, they no longer wanted to be friends. To me, that basically shows that they weren't interested in being my friend or getting to know me for who I am - they basically just wanted a man. I understand that this happens in human relations (I've certainly been on the other side of it myself), but when the feelings were unrequited, the ENFP's kind of jumped ship and held a grudge against me when all I had been doing was enjoying their friendship and being honest about that - there was no physical contact in either case.
    False! I am guilty of this and it just takes a cool off period if I know I am not right for the other person, or I can't not want to be with them and that will be stressful and an unrewarding friendship for either side. The ENFP ( or enfj) is being a good friend in this action potentially.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've met only woman I knew was ENFP so my view is biased. She was a nice person but we didn't get along well. Seemed she was always either too high energy or semi depressive (both bad).
    ENFP: ''Weeeee, tomorrow is saturday!''
    Me: ''*deadpan face* Cool uh''
    She could be very funny sometimes, but the fact that she expected me to be all cheerful created some distance between us.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

I could see having a natural connection with someone that much younger - I connect well with most NP's. But, if I'm 25 and she's 16, she's automatically in the friend category. There's no way I'm acting on that connection in any way, shape, or form.
    Another thing that has really left me dumbfounded is when I became very close "inner circle" with 2 ENFP's - those 2 individuals ended up wanting more out of the relationship and when I didn't feel the same way about them, they no longer wanted to be friends. To me, that basically shows that they weren't interested in being my friend or getting to know me for who I am - they basically just wanted a man. I understand that this happens in human relations (I've certainly been on the other side of it myself), but when the feelings were unrequited, the ENFP's kind of jumped ship and held a grudge against me when all I had been doing was enjoying their friendship and being honest about that - there was no physical contact in either case.
    I will provide a little background info about the current dynamic between my INTP friend and I.

As stated in an earlier post, I was 16 and he was 25 when we met at work. We are now 19 and 28. During this time, our friendship has deepened. In hindsight, don't think I actually realized how much he confided in me, I believe I took this immense trust in me for granted. Again, I attribute this to my skill in getting people to feel comfortable, safe, accepted and willing to open up. This isn't something that I consciously do, or set out on doing.

The very early stages of our friendship were focused primarily on ideas and mutual interests. When I think about our dynamic in comparison to those I have with others; it's quite strange. With other INTPs my Ne goes crazy; jokes become zanier and zanier, ideas are expanded and bounced around quickly, and tangents are the norm. The more, the better.

With this particular INTP, the Ne-craziness does not occur nearly as often. I'm not sure why this is. I wonder if this because my intelligence isn't up to par? Hm. (This is probably a sign that I'm not a mindmate and we wouldn't work out romantically.) With other INTPs, both my age AND his age, AND older, we go Ne-crazy with ease.

Anyway, our friendship evolved into a confidant type dynamic. He would share with me his frustrations and feelings, with himself, with his family, with his friends, and with his significant others. I in turn, listened and did the best I could to empathize and offer relevant advice where I thought I could (mostly, when he explicitly asked for it). I never suggested something just for the sake of doing so on issues that I couldn't possibly understand/ never been placed in. If I didn't know, I didn't know.

I suppose this is where my Ne kicked in. If he didn't understand someone's behaviour, I could come up with various reasons as to why x did y, something that he had difficulty with at times. I did my best to explain the viewpoints of others.

I'd like to think that I was nonjudgmental with him. I certainly hope I was.

I also had feelings for him, essentially from when we first met. I found him to be compelling, intelligent, and attractive, so the crush I realized I had on him was not a big deal, nor was it a surprise. Early on in our friendship, he admitted to having feelings for me too-- a little crush. (He was in a committed relationship at the time). I didn't take this to mean anything more than what it was. I intrigued him, he found me attractive; it was natural and not a big deal in the slightest.

During the course of our three year friendship there were a couple of girlfriends, a couple of breakups-- including one that shook his very core-- career changes, graduating, house hunting, and blows of depression-- both him and I. We were not close for all of it. He had quit his job at our former workplace, he found love in an new relationship, I had graduated highschool and we no longer hung out or chatted. We drifted apart. I was fine with this. I'm not clingy with friends at all. I dislike being smothered and clinged to myself, and I value independence. I figured, "Hey, we were close at that part of our lives, and that was cool". I never stopped thinking of him as a really good friend though, and never stopped having feelings for him.

Some time in middle of my first term at university, we began meeting up again. It was as if those months of little to no communication had never happened, and we picked up right where we left off. A little while after this, him and his girlfriend broke up. He was devastated, confused, angry, hurt and lost. He told me how disappointed he was in himself that he lost sight of who he was. He fell into a slight depression and fantasized about suicide. He admitted that this was the only girl that he had ever truly loved, and the carpet was just yanked out from under his feet by this break up.

I was there for him every single day. What he really needed was someone to listen, and reassure him, and I did that for him. He'd text me constantly, despite disliking texting. He'd call me after he realized that this ex was cheating on him, or when he had to step back into his old apartment to gather things-- he needed my support. I did what I could. I don't know if it was enough, but I tried. It broke my heart to see him hurting so much. I never told him this, but I'd cry alone, just knowing how hurt he was.

Time passed, and he began healing. A few months after the breakup, he kissed me-- either despite, or because of my feelings for him that he knew that I still had. Our physical relationship had begun.

I never once thought that there was really going to be anything more here. I took his kissing me as a "I'm distraught over the loss of my relationship, I haven't had my sexual needs met in a very long time, this is a substitute". I didn't take this to mean that he had deeper feelings for me. It was a nice thought to think, but not true at all, so I never pondered this seriously.

[EDIT: He alluded to having feelings for me (ie. "We fight like a couple, there's obviously something between us"), yet he never explicitly said that he did have feelings for me. I feel stupid for not catching this detail.]

We both agreed that this could happen without any sort of weirdness on our part. We were both attracted to each other in a physical manner. We explicitly talked about our dynamic, that we were always friends, first and foremost, and this would not change. There was never any confusion as to what "we" were, as there was no "us"- just two good friends. Were one of us to start feeling weird, or off-put by this change in dynamic, we would call it quits. Simple as that.

Oh yes, you can see where this is going. My feelings deepened for him, and I realized that the reservations I had about doing this-- "Cosmicjourney, you KNOW you will get hurt because of this"-- were true. I always knew that they were true, even while it happened. I relished the opportunity to be intimate with someone that I truly cared deeply for, despite knowing the grief it would cause me later. I am so disappointed in myself for letting my desires get the best of me when I knew better. I know that what I'm feeling right now has been worsened due to my inconsiderate actions.

I realized that I had never felt this way before. This was an intense like. (I would never use the word love so prematurely, but don't undermine the feelings of an intense like). I could go on and on about my current feelings for him, but this isn't necessary and just causes me further heartache. (Read on, so much for not elaborating about my feelings.)

The INTP began dating, as he had every right to do so. We began spending less and less time together. Still, he didn't forget about me completely, and we still texted/Skyped/IMed/met up. This was a very difficult period for me-- although I always knew it, the fact that he was dating someone else made it explicitly clear that the feelings I had for him were not mutual. It was a slap in the face being with him, thinking about him developing feelings for other women; holding them, and being intimate with him. When I looked at him, it was all I saw. When we were apart, I thought about his mannerisms, his smile, the time we spent together, and I missed him like crazy. This is currently all I can think about. I can't get this off of my mind, and I'm like a broken faucet, I can't stop crying.

I knew that I had to take a break/end this. I NEED to get over him. So I did this. I told him how I felt and that I understood that he didn't feel the same way. I told him that I'd have to cut off contact with for the time being to heal and get over him, and that he'd be deleted off of Facebook, Skype, my cell, etc and not to contact me. He told me that he understood. This was basically the extent of our last conversation, face to face. I additionally face the ENFP-ish dilemma of never being able to fully get over anyone. I wonder if our friendship is ruined/has ended for good.

I'm heartbroken, but I'll live. I wonder if he misses me. I wonder if I ever cross his mind. To think along these lines is torture, so I try not to do it, but my mind gets the better of me.

As of late, I've been analyzing our friendship, hence the thread. I never once thought that it was odd that a 16 year old and a 25 year old became friends, like so many of my peers did. I suppose I just want to know what he saw in me, is all.

Certain things he said in conversations have stuck out to me, and I keep playing them on a loop:

"I hate using this word, but I cherish this friendship".

"Besides my brother, you have been the one person that I could count on, and has been there for me through this whole [break-up] thing".

"You're my confidant. I've told you things that very few people, or no one knows about. I trust you. I don't want to lose you."

Upon telling sending him this text: "...I'm realistic. I know we wouldn't work out anyway. Strip everything away, the age difference, the culture/religion, the difference in experience, and leave just our characters, and there's nothing there", he sent me this:
    "Wrong, you fool. Strip that all away and we're oddly similar. When's the last time we had a lull in a conversation?"

The last email he ever sent me, shortly after I told him I needed some time away:
    "Can't do this."

He was my only really close friend. I don't have real, authentic friendships with depth. I have an inability to connect to other people. I've lost the only good friend I've ever had, and my loneliness is getting worse.

I think I took this friendship for granted.
    Last edited by cosmicjourney; 07-19-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Punctuation.

MBTI
    I???
    Enneagram
    huh sp/so

Traits I look for in a close friend: A sense of humor is a must. I look for people who don't take themselves too seriously, who are enthusiastic, creative, and have similar interests.

Traits I can't stand in people: I don't make plans very often, so I think it's really annoying when keeps calling the day of to push them back later and later. I also dislike it when people are clingy or need constant attention from me.
    And pettiness bothers me to no end.

For me, close friends are not the people I talk to when "I need a shoulder to cry on" or anything like that--that's not how I operate. Rather, close friends are the people I make an attempt to stay in touch with or spend time with. I can be my crazy enthusiastic nerdy self around them without shame.

As for ENFPs specifically, I know an ENFP girl who I consider a close friend, although I don't know if she's aware of it (I never fully open up even to my close friends). I love that she understands my introversion and has no desire to change it, but that she knows how to bring me out of my shell from time to time. We make each other laugh constantly, and I love her creativity, energy, and enthusiasm.

The thing that annoys me the most about her, though, is a grudge she has against a mutual INTJ friend of ours. The ENFP interpreted the INTJ's determination and drive during our senior year of high school as "choosing college over friends," which didn't make any sense to me. It might not have been a specifically ENFP thing, but it's something that bugged me.

MBTI
    INTP

FWIW if I'm friends with somebody they are close friends by definition. I'm "friendly" with a number of people but the people I consider friends can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Those are the people I make an effort to touch base with one way or the other at least once a week. They are also the people I confide emotional information to and invite into my home.

What traits do INTPs look for close friends? Intelligence first. Interesting people, people who do or have a different look approach. These types of people tend not to be close minded. Loyalty is really high on my list: I give it but I require it as well. All of my close friends have an excellent sense of humor.

Which traits can INTPs NOT STAND in people? Stupidity. Not so much in the sense of honest mediocrity but stupid as in fools. I can't deal with people who cannot/will not accept reason, people who are illogical. And I don't respond well to physical or psychological threats real or implied: the guy that gives your hand that extra hard squeeze. The suggestion that your career/job might be better served by "going along". I loath self important people and people who try to throw what ever weight they may have around (the “little man with a little authority” type).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I will provide a little background info about the current dynamic between my INTP friend and I.

As stated in an earlier post, I was 16 and he was 25 when we met at work. We are now 19 and 28. During this time, our friendship has deepened. In hindsight, don't think I actually realized how much he confided in me, I believe I took this immense trust in me for granted. Again, I attribute this to my skill in getting people to feel comfortable, safe, accepted and willing to open up. This isn't something that I consciously do, or set out on doing.

The very early stages of our friendship were focused primarily on ideas and mutual interests. When I think about our dynamic in comparison to those I have with others; it's quite strange. With other INTPs my Ne goes crazy; jokes become zanier and zanier, ideas are expanded and bounced around quickly, and tangents are the norm. The more, the better.

With this particular INTP, the Ne-craziness does not occur nearly as often. I'm not sure why this is. I wonder if this because my intelligence isn't up to par? Hm. (This is probably a sign that I'm not a mindmate and we wouldn't work out romantically.) With other INTPs, both my age AND his age, AND older, we go Ne-crazy with ease.

Anyway, our friendship evolved into a confidant type dynamic. He would share with me his frustrations and feelings, with himself, with his family, with his friends, and with his significant others. I in turn, listened and did the best I could to empathize and offer relevant advice where I thought I could (mostly, when he explicitly asked for it). I never suggested something just for the sake of doing so on issues that I couldn't possibly understand/ never been placed in. If I didn't know, I didn't know.

I suppose this is where my Ne kicked in. If he didn't understand someone's behaviour, I could come up with various reasons as to why x did y, something that he had difficulty with at times. I did my best to explain the viewpoints of others.

I'd like to think that I was nonjudgmental with him. I certainly hope I was.

I also had feelings for him, essentially from when we first met. I found him to be compelling, intelligent, and attractive, so the crush I realized I had on him was not a big deal, nor was it a surprise. Early on in our friendship, he admitted to having feelings for me too-- a little crush. (He was in a committed relationship at the time). I didn't take this to mean anything more than what it was. I intrigued him, he found me attractive; it was natural and not a big deal in the slightest.

During the course of our three year friendship there were a couple of girlfriends, a couple of breakups-- including one that shook his very core-- career changes, graduating, house hunting, and blows of depression-- both him and I. We were not close for all of it. He had quit his job at our former workplace, he found love in an new relationship, I had graduated highschool and we no longer hung out or chatted. We drifted apart. I was fine with this. I'm not clingy with friends at all. I dislike being smothered and clinged to myself, and I value independence. I figured, "Hey, we were close at that part of our lives, and that was cool". I never stopped thinking of him as a really good friend though, and never stopped having feelings for him.

Some time in middle of my first term at university, we began meeting up again. It was as if those months of little to no communication had never happened, and we picked up right where we left off. A little while after this, him and his girlfriend broke up. He was devastated, confused, angry, hurt and lost. He told me how disappointed he was in himself that he lost sight of who he was. He fell into a slight depression and fantasized about suicide. He admitted that this was the only girl that he had ever truly loved, and the carpet was just yanked out from under his feet by this break up.

I was there for him every single day. What he really needed was someone to listen, and reassure him, and I did that for him. He'd text me constantly, despite disliking texting. He'd call me after he realized that this ex was cheating on him, or when he had to step back into his old apartment to gather things-- he needed my support. I did what I could. I don't know if it was enough, but I tried. It broke my heart to see him hurting so much. I never told him this, but I'd cry alone, just knowing how hurt he was.

Time passed, and he began healing. A few months after the breakup, he kissed me-- either despite, or because of my feelings for him that he knew that I still had. Our physical relationship had begun.

I never once thought that there was really going to be anything more here. I took his kissing me as a "I'm distraught over the loss of my relationship, I haven't had my sexual needs met in a very long time, this is a substitute". I didn't take this to mean that he had deeper feelings for me. It was a nice thought to think, but not true at all, so I never pondered this seriously.

[EDIT: He alluded to having feelings for me (ie. "We fight like a couple, there's obviously something between us"), yet he never explicitly said that he did have feelings for me. I feel stupid for not catching this detail.]

We both agreed that this could happen without any sort of weirdness on our part. We were both attracted to each other in a physical manner. We explicitly talked about our dynamic, that we were always friends, first and foremost, and this would not change. There was never any confusion as to what "we" were, as there was no "us"- just two good friends. Were one of us to start feeling weird, or off-put by this change in dynamic, we would call it quits. Simple as that.

Oh yes, you can see where this is going. My feelings deepened for him, and I realized that the reservations I had about doing this-- "Cosmicjourney, you KNOW you will get hurt because of this"-- were true. I always knew that they were true, even while it happened. I relished the opportunity to be intimate with someone that I truly cared deeply for, despite knowing the grief it would cause me later. I am so disappointed in myself for letting my desires get the best of me when I knew better. I know that what I'm feeling right now has been worsened due to my inconsiderate actions.

I realized that I had never felt this way before. This was an intense like. (I would never use the word love so prematurely, but don't undermine the feelings of an intense like). I could go on and on about my current feelings for him, but this isn't necessary and just causes me further heartache. (Read on, so much for not elaborating about my feelings.)

The INTP began dating, as he had every right to do so. We began spending less and less time together. Still, he didn't forget about me completely, and we still texted/Skyped/IMed/met up. This was a very difficult period for me-- although I always knew it, the fact that he was dating someone else made it explicitly clear that the feelings I had for him were not mutual. It was a slap in the face being with him, thinking about him developing feelings for other women; holding them, and being intimate with him. When I looked at him, it was all I saw. When we were apart, I thought about his mannerisms, his smile, the time we spent together, and I missed him like crazy. This is currently all I can think about. I can't get this off of my mind, and I'm like a broken faucet, I can't stop crying.

I knew that I had to take a break/end this. I NEED to get over him. So I did this. I told him how I felt and that I understood that he didn't feel the same way. I told him that I'd have to cut off contact with for the time being to heal and get over him, and that he'd be deleted off of Facebook, Skype, my cell, etc and not to contact me. He told me that he understood. This was basically the extent of our last conversation, face to face. I additionally face the ENFP-ish dilemma of never being able to fully get over anyone. I wonder if our friendship is ruined/has ended for good.

I'm heartbroken, but I'll live. I wonder if he misses me. I wonder if I ever cross his mind. To think along these lines is torture, so I try not to do it, but my mind gets the better of me.

As of late, I've been analyzing our friendship, hence the thread. I never once thought that it was odd that a 16 year old and a 25 year old became friends, like so many of my peers did. I suppose I just want to know what he saw in me, is all.

Certain things he said in conversations have stuck out to me, and I keep playing them on a loop:

"I hate using this word, but I cherish this friendship".

"Besides my brother, you have been the one person that I could count on, and has been there for me through this whole [break-up] thing".

"You're my confidant. I've told you things that very few people, or no one knows about. I trust you. I don't want to lose you."

Upon telling sending him this text: "...I'm realistic. I know we wouldn't work out anyway. Strip everything away, the age difference, the culture/religion, the difference in experience, and leave just our characters, and there's nothing there", he sent me this:
    "Wrong, you fool. Strip that all away and we're oddly similar. When's the last time we had a lull in a conversation?"

The last email he ever sent me, shortly after I told him I needed some time away:
    "Can't do this."

He was my only really close friend. I don't have real, authentic friendships with depth. I have an inability to connect to other people. I've lost the only good friend I've ever had, and my loneliness is getting worse.

I think I took this friendship for granted.
    This doesn't make it any easier, but sometimes that happens. I myself have had a female ENFP friend where I literally *cherished* her friendship and we were EXTREMELY close - I could talk to her about anything in the world - there was nothing I needed to hold back. That's an awesome thing to have. And she was a truly wonderful person and I'm thankful to have had her as a friend. But, there are so many other variables - timing, quirky habits that get annoying, she always wants to go out/I always want to stay in, age differences (this was a HUGE factor for me as well - actually a dealbreaker - but she was older than me by about 9 years), etc, etc, etc. There's just so many things that can make it not work.

From reading your long post, it seems clear to me that he really thought highly of you and thought you were a great person. Otherwise, the INTP wouldn't have bothered to spend that amount of time with you, investing in the deep friendship. If he didn't find you amazing, he would have halted the progression of the relationship. Once when I had my heart broken and was in the dumps, an ENTP said something to me that I'll never forget: Sometimes 2 people can love each other, but it still doesn't work out for various other reasons. This was a wake-up call for me, as I always thought (in my young naivety) that if 2 people loved each other, that it would AUTOMATICALLY work - it was just a "given". But, that's not the case. Life events, and personalities, and timing, and other variables all have to work together and mesh, otherwise it won't work.

I feel your pain and I know my words probably don't help, but just know that time does heal all wounds. He may always have a really significant place in your heart - and that's a good thing - but, there will come a time where you'll be ready to move into something new.

As for taking him for granted, I'm not sure I see that in your post. It just seems like one of those situations I describe above, where 2 people connect and think each other are amazing individuals, but for reasons unexplained, it just doesn't work, it just isn't meant to be. Don't blame yourself. Cherish the experience - I'm sure he does.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

What are admirable traits in a friend?
    Pretty much what all the other INTPs have listed.

Can you provide us with examples of "improving your quality of life"?
    I have an associate who frequently suggests new activities to do and who always has some new bit of information or skill to tell/teach me. I don't feel like I've lost some of my braincells and they don't drain my energy.

On the other hand, an old friend I met in my teen years has stagnated. They were never too mentally quick to begin with, but now it's to the point where they don't even want to cure their ignorance. Once they asked how [crude] oil was made and I tried to explain the process which involves fossils and they would not have it. No matter how much "proof" I showed them, the entire thing was "impossible" in their mind. Top the willful ignorance with their increasing affinity to sit around and drink/smoke/whine themselves into madness and you should be able to understand why I no longer associate with them.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”